ID Help: Yet Another Bristle Worm?

EBR

It's amazing what you find with a bit of re-scaping, house cleaning, and new-coral-placement after a WAMAS meeting.  I see much smaller versions of this in the tank, and understand that they can be good scavengers as part of a clean up crew, but this thing is huge (didn't know they'd get this big).  Any confirmation that's what it is?  Any concern?

125g, mostly softies, LPS, and a few easy SPS (digitata and monti caps)

What do you think?

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg

Thanks.

Matt

Edited by EBR

Not that I've noticed.  Although, after yesterday's WAMAS take-home of zoos, Acan, montis, and a brain maze, I don't know if they'll get mistaken for a food court!  

Think its just a bristle worm. Color isnt quite right for a fireworm and its not a bushy fireworm because those are distinctive.  I typically leave them in.  They are great and keeping your rock work clean. 

9382eunicif.jpg

I can't see the tentacles or jaws on yours, but the body looks just like this two foot eunicid that I had for several years.  It ate everything it could swallow (mushrooms, turtle grass!), and would be considered undesirable by most definitions.

Edited by mogurnda

Looks perfectly normal to me. Mine used to get ridiculously large in my 600g system, but they never hurt a thing. 

There's a really good article floating around on the different worms and how to tell them apart, but I can never find it when someone needs it  :rolleyes:

Edited by SunWyrm

My vote would be bristle worm, not that I'm any expert myself.

After seeing that picture of the eunicid above, it does look remarkably the same comparing a bristle vs. eunicid google image search.

Hey, thanks, Everyone.  While nowhere nearly as gruesome as this one -- thanks for the link, donnie -- mine has been evicted.  All of the recent re-scaping caused him to venture around a bit and get in the way, irritating some corals.  Had to go.

It's a common Bristleworm. If you see one, there are hundreds more. Very beneficial for the tank- if you see a huge amount of them, it may be an indicator that your tank has excess nutrient buildup.

If you touch them, the spines are easily dissolved in vinegar.

FWIW, If you get 20 or 30 large ones, throw them in lime juice overnight, rinse, then throw in deep fryer.

Yum!

It's a common Bristleworm. If you see one, there are hundreds more. Very beneficial for the tank- if you see a huge amount of them, it may be an indicator that your tank has excess nutrient buildup.

If you touch them, the spines are easily dissolved in vinegar.

FWIW, If you get 20 or 30 large ones, throw them in lime juice overnight, rinse, then throw in deep fryer.

Yum!

Use in batter for Mantis Shrimp Bites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk