Koran Angelfish not Eating

FirstContact

I have a Koran Angelfish fish that is not eating.  Great colors; looks healthy.  Picked him up on Saturday when I was told he had eaten some brine shrimp and pellets.  I have offered spirulina pellets, NLS pellets, New Era pellets, mysis, Rods food original, Rod's food fish eggs, Nutramar, Rod's food Pacific plankton, Hikari mysis, and as of tonight Hikari mega marine angel.  The only thing I saw him pick at the other day was part of a New Era Marine Grazer wheel that fell off the suction cup, but he didn't go after a chunk I tossed in front of him tonight. 

The only thing I can think at this point is live brine shrimp or isolating him.  I picked him up Saturday; that's pretty much four days without eating.  He's in my DT.  Any suggestions?  Should I set up a QT tank fast and isolate him and see if he eats?  I don't have a sponge ready in my sump.  I am worried about him having to adjust yet again, but I have never had a fish go four days without starting to eat.  Tank mates are as follows: purple tang, hippo tang, Jansen's wrasse, black cap basslet, and an ocellaris clown.  Every now and then the purple tang will swim around the angel to what I am guessing is asserting dominance. This is the only negative thing I can think of.  Water parameters are good.

I have a 40 breeder and a 75g I could use as a QT.  The 40 breeder would be easier to do faster water changes on.  How much longer should I wait, and what do I do about not having a bacteria thriving sponge filter ready?

Black worms, perhaps? Soaked in selcon? I've always had success with LRS food, even with finicky eaters like copperbands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you isolate throw a decent amount of live rock from your tank in. And an ammonia badge (look at it often) any ammonia will make it not eat for sure. And obviously daily water changes till you feel comfortable. live brine is the way to go. If you tank is anything like mine anything else will get eaten right away by the other fish. The live brine doesn't have crazy good nutrition but it's enough to hold it off until they learn to eat the other stuff. The brine will live a week if you add a good bit of your tank water and couple drops of selecon per day. And once the container you keep brine in gets cycled they get more nutritious because I feed them finely crushed flake and reef roids. They eventually start carrying around egg sacks on their rear end which is extra nutrition. If you do enough water changes and just put a bubbler in the QT tank with no filtration or meds the brine will live in the tank with the fish. The bubbler will sometimes kill the brine though if it's too violent or too big of bubbles.

Edited by gmerek2

Black worms, perhaps? Soaked in selcon? I've always had success with LRS food, even with finicky eaters like copperbands.

​Locally sourced fresh clams are a great way to get a fish eating, as are scallop shredded. Freeze any raw seafood for 8+ hours before feeding for parasite control, just to be safe.

Since YHSublime mentioned it I am gonna be shameless and insert a plug... LOL

We have a great reputation with finicky feeders eating our foods going all the way back to MACNA 2014 where we helped the G. personatus project by coaxing the male to eat after refusing to eat for 6 weeks. There are a bunch of videos including the G. Personatus mentioned above on this page:  http://www.larrysreefservices.com/media-gallery.html

We shipped a big order to a museum in Korea this week to feed a display tank with $50,000+ worth of angels I just didn't get a chance to post about it yet on WAMAS.

Good luck!

i also recommend clams/mussels/scallops.  He may be getting picked on or bothered by the other fish.  The key with picky eaters is to get them eating in a qt before you introduce him to other tank mates so the fish is fat and used to you.

+1 on LRS foods, I've had newly acclimated fish eating within an hour on that goodness. 

The key with picky eaters is to get them eating in a qt before you introduce him to other tank mates so the fish is fat and used to you.

It's like Stockholm syndrome but with fish  :rolleyes:

It's like Stockholm syndrome but with fish  :rolleyes:

Ha ha, seriously, I had a butterflyfish who was initally very shy. By the end of my 6 week QT, he was up at the glass like a little puppy dog begging for food everytime I approached the tank. Once I introduced him to the DT, he went into hiding. But at meal time, as I approached the tank, he was back to begging for food.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the great advice!  I will QT the angel in my 40B tomorrow after I have extra saltwater to replace in my DT.  I will pull out some live rock and put it in the QT.  Ammonia badges I do have!  Will try live brine, fresh calms mussels scallops (frozen overnight), LRS and blackworms.  I'm at work close to Congressional Aquarium and Tropical Lagoon is on the way home.  I'll get the blackworms and brine and look for selcon. 

Just to update. The Koran Angel picked at a couple of live blackworms last night. Tonight more blackworms, LRS Fish Frenzy, and live brine shrimp will be offered.

Great to hear!

• 11 months later...
(edited)

Well, I've had this Koran Angel for a year and he's doing great! For the past year he ate nothing but sea weed. The last couple of days I noticed he started eating vigorously at the algae wheel along with my blue tang and Jansens wrasse. It's been available to him the entire time; he just decided to go for it now.

You can lead a fish to food, but...

Edited by FirstContact