I have seen a lot of threads related to Apex programming and setup.  I consulted with the rest of the officers and thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where members can:

ask questions(Apex setup/programming)

post their own code

seek help for something they would like to have their apex perform. 

There are also several sites that have sample code that members can use for themselves.  A great site is reeftronics.com.  As well as Neptunes's own site which has the holy grail (comprehensive apex manual).  I have had my Apex for quite sometime and I have it do almost everything (water changes, email alerts, status checks, change pump cycles, etc).  I can certainly answer most questions, so don't be shy.  It can get complicated :cool:

So post away :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, thank you for setting this up. Picked up an Apex at MACNA and was wondering if we could get such a thread/forum going.

You're going to love it! The comprehensive manual is great, as is the Neptune forum.

My heater and fan settings.  I have two heaters and two fans.

Heater_1 
Fallback OFF 
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON 
If Temp > 77.5 Then OFF 
If Outlet Light_Middle = ON Then OFF 

Large_Fan
Fallback OFF 
If Temp > 77.7 Then ON 
If Temp < 77.6 Then OFF

My heater and fan settings.  I have two heaters and two fans.

Heater_1 
Fallback OFF 
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON 
If Temp > 77.5 Then OFF 
If Outlet Light_Middle = ON Then OFF 

Large_Fan
Fallback OFF 
If Temp > 77.7 Then ON 
If Temp < 77.6 Then OFF

thanks, do you test the accuracy of the temp probe? if so what do you use to test the accuracy?

Tricia,

The Defer and Min time is confusing :wacko:.  He is a good definition for both by giving an example:

The Min Time is for when you want an outlet to stay On or Off for a set amount of time.  It keeps an outlet in programmed time for the duration that you set.  For example:

Metal Halide

Fallback ON

Set OFF

If Time 08:00 to 19:00 Then ON

Min Time 010:00 Then OFF

In the comprehensive manual that give the example of a Metal Halide light that turned off because it lost power.  When the power comes back on, the light will stay off for 10 minutes and then turn back on.  The Min Time is added because if the power flickers, the light won't try to come back on.

Defer

The Defer statement is used to make sure an outlet stays in the current "state" for the whole time that you specify.  For example, when you install a float switch.  You don't want to state of the outlet to change rapidly just because the float changes because of ripples in the water.  You want the float switch to be in a certain "state" for a set time (ie 1 min).  So if the float switch stays on for 1 min, then the program will execute.  If at anytime during that one minute the float switch turns off, the timer resets and the 1 minute starts over.

Make sense? 

I think Tony answered the other question. 

What is the best way to mount Apex components in the sump area? Do the controller and modules need to be in a water box? Can they be mounted to the stand wall in the sump area without water proofing?

Scott, just wanted to say that I thought that was a great description of those two commands. Thanks for posting it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Hi Gang... SO, I have an Apex, and a sump, and a couple pumps, and 2 40 Gal Aux Water tanks (One Salt and one fresh) and an RODI that provides H2o for the Fresh Water tank.  However, I have a dilemma.  I have created a system to do (Approximately) 1 Gallon a day water changes, but, it is based on timing (X time for pump in sump runs H2O to Deep Sink = Approximately 1 Gallon... then when that ends, another pump in the Aux Salt H2O tank runs for X time to refill the approximately 1 Gallon)  

The problem here is "Approximately"  So, the solution is a water level sensor that hooks to the USB.  The idea would work like this. (All systems on the Apex go to stop)   The discharge Pump in the sump is hooked up to the Apex and pumps approximately 1 gallon of water to the Deep Sink... (that will be timed for approximately 1 minute)  Then the pump goes off.. the remainder of the system goes off, and the "Water level sensor" is then turned on by the apex and realizes "hey low water" to which it then kicks on the pump in the Auxillary tank, thus refilling the sump with a new gallon of Salt Water.  Once it has refilled, the thing shuts off.. and approximately 5 minutes later, the Apex completely turns off the Water sensor until the next day.  The Apex then turns on all systems again and the cycle starts over the next day.

The question is.. has anyone done this before?  What sensor did you use, and how did you hook it up to USB port on APEx, and I need an answer soon, as I am getting ready to Deploy for 6 months, and need this system perfected before I go.

Oh, and I have tried to look for said switched.. but my ineptness with the internets precludes me from finding such.. so, links would be good.. thanks :)

Something like this might be ideal, but with a USB?  http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1fCXGIXXXXXcxXpXXq6xXFXXXY/Water-Level-Switch-Liquid-Level-Sensor-Liquid-Plastic-Ball-Float-Plastic-Level-Sensors.jpg

Edited by Fireman12s

Your going to have 200 gallons premixed and assume that everything is going to work flawlessly for 6 months?

How are you going to check salinity and make sure it stays in check?

I really think you should consider having someone take care of it for 6 months. There are too many things that could go wrong. All it takes is one float switch or one pump to fail and your thousands of miles away. (This is assuming no one is going to stop in)

Fireman12s - I moved your topic to the current forum since it is related to Apex programming.

I have done something similar to what you are doing. Pump A turns on for x minutes, pumps old saltwater out.  Pump B turns on, pumps new saltwater in.  While Pump A and B are on, Autotop off is turned off.  If you want to incorporate float switches you will need a break out box to tie them in.  Then you would incorporate programming for the float switches in each of the pumps.  Very easy to do.  I would recommend avast's pressure sensor's.  If you don't want to use those, a float switch similar to the one you posted would work, but I would do two of each.  Two for each pump. One as a failsafe.

Fireman12s 

I've been using these float switches with an apex break out box for about 2 years with no mechanical issues...I have had an issue with sea critters getting on them and stopping them from moving:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5Pcs-FS-1B-31-Liquid-Water-Level-Sensor-Horizontal-Float-Switch-Good-/360680353026?hash=item53fa396d02

Echoing what Scott said, I would start by:

-have the regular top off happen during a controlled period, like I allow my fresh water top off pump to work only between 4pm to 5pm. (my top off takes 20 to 40 min depending on the season)

-give the tank some time to circulate to make sure the top off water is fully mixed and water levels are normal

-have your saltwater pump move out whatever amount of water you want to remove, then have your saltwater fill pump use that same float switch (or a separate one) to do a salt water top off.

I would make sure you have some redundancy in your switches. I have one for normal level and then one for high level to catch things if the normal level switch fails.

I have seen a lot of threads related to Apex programming and setup.  I consulted with the rest of the officers and thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where members can:

ask questions(Apex setup/programming)

post their own code

seek help for something they would like to have their apex perform. 

There are also several sites that have sample code that members can use for themselves.  A great site is reeftronics.com.  As well as Neptunes's own site which has the holy grail (comprehensive apex manual).  I have had my Apex for quite sometime and I have it do almost everything (water changes, email alerts, status checks, change pump cycles, etc).  I can certainly answer most questions, so don't be shy.  It can get complicated :cool:

So post away :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

First of all Thank you for posting this!!

I recently hook up my apex to my tank, I hook up the apex to the internet wireless via apple airport express. Email alerts, apex fusion, etc all work fine but when Im not home and try to access apex fusion via my iPhone app I get a message at the bottom ( I can't really remember the exact words right now) saying apex timed out or it can't connect, PH and temp show the time I was last at home and I can't get control or do anything that way but as soon as I am home it starts working again, can someone help me fix this? what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Fireman12s 

I've been using these float switches with an apex break out box for about 2 years with no mechanical issues...I have had an issue with sea critters getting on them and stopping them from moving:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5Pcs-FS-1B-31-Liquid-Water-Level-Sensor-Horizontal-Float-Switch-Good-/360680353026?hash=item53fa396d02

How do you hold this inside your sump?

I'm not familiar with the iPhone app because I have a droid, but many people don't use the app because it is buggy. They just bookmark a webpage on their phone and access it there.

Can you access your controller from https://apexfusion.com/?

That worked, thanks I guess app is no good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you hold this inside your sump?

I heat up a strip of Plexiglas and bend it around a piece of wood to shape it. I used to heat them up over a burner on the stove but now I have a heat gun. For some of them I also tap/thread a 1/4 inch hole and add a teflon screw to tighten it against the tank.

Frag tank sump switches

025aace2c9cae8fd372fac5d97a6d30b.jpg

RODI storage bucket switches

94f30078bbe26f3ba111cd776dc1ad17.jpg

RODI solenoid holder

7410e78185cfd885dcde8fe6fb258174.jpg

The RODI set just hangs there so it can be easily moved between the two buckets if needed.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Edited by Rob A