Feeding RBTA

eddiev0008

I'm still old school and feed 1/2 a silver side every now and then.but Leishman's diet is  cleaner food I would think and better for the tank and the anemone.

I use a turkey baster to spot feed my fish a combo of LRS/mysis/brine shrimp and just spray a bit of that into the tentacles of my rbta every couple of days, and he's become a monster over the past year (from about 4" to his current 12+" when fully open). I used to do that with two others and they outgrew my tank and have since been sold. You really don't need to feed them, but if you do, you want the food to be really small pieces so that the 'nem can digest easily. If you feed the 'nem and it spits up even a little bit of food, then the pieces are too large, and from most of what I've read that tends to happen with silversides.

I use a turkey baster to spot feed my fish a combo of LRS/mysis/brine shrimp and just spray a bit of that into the tentacles of my rbta every couple of days, and he's become a monster over the past year (from about 4" to his current 12+" when fully open). I used to do that with two others and they outgrew my tank and have since been sold. You really don't need to feed them, but if you do, you want the food to be really small pieces so that the 'nem can digest easily. If you feed the 'nem and it spits up even a little bit of food, then the pieces are too large, and from most of what I've read that tends to happen with silversides.

+1 this is what I do with LRS/mysis/calanus (the last one happens to make it to the nem via my sun coral). My RBTA has grown since I got it in July, however the member I bought it from (see Oct tank of the month) had gorgeous nems that were never directly fed. Occasionally I spot feed though as I love the *NOM NOM NOM* trash compactor close they do :).

Lynz, didn't you get a really pretty little nem at MACNA?  Is it doing ok?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

My nem also really started growing after it started getting incidental feeding of bits of LRS.  When I blast some into that area for the clowns that live, it usually gets a bit or two.  I don't do anything special for it.  Just random bits of LRS once in a while.

Yeah, RBTA's don't really need to be fed. Mine sometimes get a chunk of frozen when I feed, but it's usually whatever the clowns don't eat. More important is water quality and light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feeding silversides has fallen out of popularity with many folks who propagate anemones. There are a lot of foods available which are easier to digest and have less waste to expel than silversides. Feeding them seems to make them more "full" and they will likely split more frequently which may or may not be your desired outcome.

If you wanna talk Nems, Joe from the Long Island Aquarium has an amazing tank full of them. If I recall correctly he started this tank 12 years ago with four nems and with regular heavy feedings he now has this...

https://youtu.be/FY5I2s6FRH0

The color in this picture is pretty washed out, and it's difficult to gauge the size of the 12+" nem (the foxface and anthias are right up against the glass and the nem is about 10" behind, so it makes the nem look smaller) but even then you can see how deep red the rbta is and how thick its tentacles are. He was a 3-4" droopy split that didn't seem like he'd live. A little tiny bit of food goes a long way with these guys.

I agree that if you broadcast feed a good food in your tank you do not need to feed the nem directly. Mine are huge and split on occasion and I never target feed. 

Lynz, didn't you get a really pretty little nem at MACNA?  Is it doing ok?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

My nem also really started growing after it started getting incidental feeding of bits of LRS.  When I blast some into that area for the clowns that live, it usually gets a bit or two.  I don't do anything special for it.  Just random bits of LRS once in a while.

Yep Alan, that was me, though I'm sure many others made out with nems. By the time I shopped around on Saturday, there weren't many left. Anyway, formerly it was "nem that lived/survived in my bag during MACNA" and is now "nem that refuses to come out of the basket" :) Wish I could get a good picture with the yellow and green at the bottom.