70 lbs of Zoanthids???

Kenneth

Thats not really the answer.  Education is.  Expressions like "cooking rock"  need to be changed to bleaching rock or acid bath.    At least then they wont try to boil them.  Signs at LFS stating that gloves should be worn while handling.  Basic education goes a long way.

Just to note: the guy that boiled the rock was a reasonably experienced aquarist and WAMAS member, actually. His was trying to kill the palys, not cure the rock. There is or was a technique of funneling hot, boiling (RO/DI) water down onto nuisance pests (such as Aiptasia) to kill them while still in the tank and underwater. He went too far and, as one of the first hobbyist cases widely reported, has been virtually immortalized.

Just be aware: These palys are fairly common in the DC region, so be careful.

Here is the whole story from the cdc

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

Interesting read for sure. Funny, it does mention that the patients noticed a visible mist, or humidity, leading them to think something was wrong. However, it is clear that the patients saw that happen, and it was not scientifically acknowledged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like that the dude had a 200 gallon in his mobile home. Not included, or pictured: wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought you were making this up... nope.

I never knew that dilute chlorine would destroy the palytoxin. That's what the cdc article says.

I saw that, too. Chlorine's a strong oxidizer and I'm guessing must rip into the palytoxin molecule.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to note: the guy that boiled the rock was a reasonably experienced aquarist and WAMAS member, actually. His was trying to kill the palys, not cure the rock. There is or was a technique of funneling hot, boiling (RO/DI) water down onto nuisance pests (such as Aiptasia) to kill them while still in the tank and underwater. He went too far and, as one of the first hobbyist cases widely reported, has been virtually immortalized.

Just be aware: These palys are fairly common in the DC region, so be careful.

Its why i said education.  We learn something new everyday.  Someone has to be the first.  Basic sayings like cooking rock lead to problems because a novice will read that and possibly think something else.