Need a new - fun - project!

dmatt56

Hello everyone,

I moved my 180 mixed reef with us back in May when we moved to a single family home.  Everything is set up and doing well.  The tank is in the basement again; however, we are rarely down there.  Before, our TV room was in the basement with the fish tank so it was much more a part of our daily route.

I need a small project to keep up the interest!  My new sump is a trigger systems sump - and there's one drain plug left over. I'm thinking I could tie another small tank to the main system. The idea of a 300g upgrade crossed my mind - but won't want to move everything again! :)

Would I be better off adding a small frag tank or maybe a species specific tank (e.g., angler, clownfish w/ anemone, etc)?  OR, do I just be happy with a stable 180?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Matt

Hey Matt I always wanted to do a display macro algae tank, a planted saltwater tank of sorts. That tied into your main tank would also help with nutrient export. I would stock it once it was up an stable with Mandarin gobies and pipefish. I think that would be pretty interesting to watch. Plus moving the tv downstairs would help too.

My tank is in the basement where no one goes to unless we are going to the backyard.  I try to take a few minutes a day to just enjoy a somewhat stable tank and make sure the inhabitants are happy.  Before that I would try to add stuff to the fish room (its an in wall tank) that would require attention, like a fowlr set up but once the projects are completed you still have to go out of your way to see the tank without the extra incentives.

But one project that would be fun is a breeding tank with clowns or cardinals, maybe it could be doubled as a frag tank.

I thought about a seahorse pipefish tank, but don't they need cooler water? I know they need less flow.

Seahorses and pipefish will do fine at around the normal 78 degree range. There is some evidence that the vibro bacteria has a much slower growth rate at temps below 75 so many people keep their seahorse tanks at 74-75 but it's not absolutely necessary. And honestly I know a number of people that keep pipefish at 78-80 degrees with success.

You can plumb in a snall chiller between the main system and the seahorse system and run water slowly between the two. Would be a "cool" project!!

Otherwise, macro display, garden eel display, mangrove display, dwarf octopus display, frogfish, mantis shrimp, harlequin shrimp.....

Issac is in love with his pico tank.... it seems like a fun thing to have and it can go almost anywhere

I do enjoy it. A nano in the kitchen maybe? I think I enjoy it because it's my only tank and it doesn't take a lot, the OP's case seems different.

Put a TV and bar in the basement, and go down there more! haha

That should be your next project, I agree!

What about an algae scrubber?  That would be a fun project.

I will probably do one on a big tank when I run one again.

I do enjoy it. A nano in the kitchen maybe? I think I enjoy it because it's my only tank and it doesn't take a lot, the OP's case seems different.

That should be your next project, I agree!

I will probably do one on a big tank when I run one again.

I dont know Issac.  Iam building a 125 a 40b (cycling now) and a 20 long for my daughter and  I am most excited about the 20.  Maybe its because you can do really unique things with the small ones.  Could be that my daughter is really excited about having her own tank which makes me excited to build it.