New to the N. VA area

Hello everyone, I currently live in Warrenton and just moved here from upstate NY. Currently my 120 is not set up, but I'm looking for local shops to see what's around here. Once I move out of the apt here into a house, then I will be resetting up, and getting back some coral I that I let a local reefer back home hang on to. Please let me know who has the nicest shop around here, and also let me know if I can check out some bad @$$ tanks.

Thanks

Lowefx

You could always hit up Blue Ribbon Koi and Incredible Corals. Maps says its about a 30 min drive without traffic. As for tanks, just parooze through the tank build section. We have a lot of nice tanks in our area.

Welcome. Check the LFS Map that we've pinned under "About WAMAS" at the top of the page. 

You're a ways out but we've got a lot of nice shops in the region. 

Also, you might want to consider going to MACNA this year. WAMAS is hosting it, so it's here in DC. It doesn't get more convenient than that. If you're not familiar with MACNA, it's the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America and it's the largest show of it's kind in the country. It's got a huge exhibition floor, workshops, social events, and internationally renown speakers. Definitely a must-see event and it doesn't get much easier to go to when it's being hosted by your home club.

Yes, I know I'm a ways out, but it's a nice place to live. I work in Ashburn so I commute every day. I will be checking out MANCA this year. Are there any other stores you recommend?

Also does anyone know where I can find the For Sale forum? Or do I have to have X amount of posts before it unlocks?

Welcome.  Its on the main forum page.. near the bottom.

Edited by Keraxis

Welcome!

Once your a paying member it will be availible. Theres no minimum post for it.

Also does anyone know where I can find the For Sale forum? Or do I have to have X amount of posts before it unlocks?

Welcome!

Once your a paying member it will be availible. Theres no minimum post for it.

Didnt notice that he wasnt joined up yet.

Click on the link in my signature for a summary of the benefits of being a full WAMAS member.

Didnt notice that he wasnt joined up yet.

I did not notice that this was a paid forum. That is good tho, and one I get a few more pay checks under my belt, then I will be paying. This is good to know.

Its $20.  You gain access to parts of the forum.  You also get discounts at most LFS here.  Theres a huge vendor section and people sell things all the time.  Best $20 I ever spent.

I did not notice that this was a paid forum. That is good tho, and one I get a few more pay checks under my belt, then I will be paying. This is good to know.

Much of the forum is free and accessible to the public at no charge. There are a few forums that are members-only but these additions are well worth the small fee that we ask. WAMAS is a registered 501c3 charity and we publish a budget and statement of our financial health every year. The money that we receive from members goes to flying speakers in to speak at our quarterly meetings, software and software upgrades, supporting tanks in schools and other public sites, bank fees, etc. The organization is run entirely with volunteer labor. For $20 a year, you can attend each of our quarterly meetings, typically at no charge. This includes our annual Frag Fest Extravaganza where we typically hand out hundreds of free frags to members. In addition to the meetings, you will gain access to some of our most popular forums. This includes the For Sale forum, Trading forum, Auction forum, and Group Buy forum. Also included is access to the Share the Wealth and Propagate (SWAP) forum where members share favorite corals for free for safekeeping and for propagation. In addition, as a WAMAS member, you will have access to other discussion forums such as our Member Discussion and Refugium forums. WAMAS members can borrow the club PAR meter and, for large tank moves, can rent our industrial suction cups which make moving large tanks easier and safer. That's just a summary of the regular benefits that you'll have as a Member. The other benefit that I've been rewarded with has been provided by the community itself. That is, access to a broad base of knowledge and thinking; sharing experiences and livestock at very reasonable prices; and friendships with people of common interest. 

WAMAS is a really cool community and we look forward to the time that you're able to join as a full member. Once you do, you'll see why people always say that WAMAS was their first, best $20 spent on the hobby. For now, enjoy the public-facing side of the community and know that our door remains open to you.

Welcome!

I'll echo that the $20 you might spend on a frag will be well spent on a membership. You're a bit of a trek from a lot of our stores, as mentioned, but Blue Ribbon Koi, Marine Scene, Incredible Corals, and Quantum Reefs are all great stores.

Well I made the big jump, and broke the bank with the $20 member fee....Just kidding....Will i be receiving a card in the mail? Also looking forward to MACNA and trying to find good local shops. Thanks everyone!!!