Power head foam and bta

Bruleyii

For people that have bta's and used a foam cover, are you keeping the foam cover on or take it off after it settles in? Just curious because the foam I have is restricting a lot of the flow. I put two in and one has been out for a month or so and the other has mostly stayed out. It moves within 6 inches or so.

When I bought my first and only BTA over 10 years ago, I used a foam cover.  Then I found that I had to keep rinsing the foam cover.  Being lazy, I so decided to just take the chance with the BTA.

10 years later I have so many BTAs from the same guy spiting that I have been selling to area LFS.

Given that you live near by ( I'm in Fair Lakes ), I suggest you too take the chance, and if your BTA commits suicide, drop by my place and I will give you one for free.

Mike

I'd hate to lose them though. They have cool colors. They are really small right now but look like they could be the rainbows.

I took one off. Ill take a look tomorrow morning and see if they move.

I used a cover on my vortechs for about a week. Like mling, I was lazy, and didn't want to rinse, clean, or switch it out... so I took it off. I don't know a lot of hobbyists who use them.

Same as most others here - I used to use pantyhose and then a legit cover, but have since gotten lazy and have risked it for about a year with no issues. Luckily my two have found spots they like and haven't moved much, but one of them recently split after a large water change, so I'll either be rehoming one or two or will soon basically have a nem tank. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I came home one day to a nuked aquarium, but that's the risk I take. 

All that said, I'd wait until they seem rooted to their spots for a week or two. If they're still roaming, or worst-case, free-floating, you may want to keep using the cover for a bit.

One has been in its spot for over a month. The other has been in its general area for about a month. It moved from the main rock to an island but hasn't moved off of it since.

I'm not too worried about them nuking the tank because they are so small. One is about the size of a dime and the other is about quarter size. Like I said "tiny" lol

Take the foam off. Makes things more exciting. Just make sure the extra flow isn't going to make them want to go streaking

Take the foam off. Makes things more exciting. Just make sure the extra flow isn't going to make them want to go streaking

I made sure the flow wasnt directly on them. Woke up this morning and checked on them and they both seem fine. We will see after they have a full day of lights too.

Nems are just odd creatures. I had one sit happy for 2 years then all the sudden it decided to go on a trek. Roamed the entire tank for 3 months before it settled back in its original spot. IMO, dont worry about it about it, just enjoy your tank, make things simple (remove the covers) and let nature work figure itself out.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Nems are just odd creatures. I had one sit happy for 2 years then all the sudden it decided to go on a trek. Roamed the entire tank for 3 months before it settled back in its original spot. IMO, dont worry about it about it, just enjoy your tank, make things simple (remove the covers) and let nature work figure itself out.

When it was roaming did it sting everything in its path?

Not really, but I made a egg crate cage for my sps and other corals that I would put around it if got near, just in case. The cage was just 4 pcs of egg crate bound together with zip ties.

Yea and remember. Nems don't have a brain. But they continue to outsmart us

:laugh: