Long Fin Clownfish are Here!!!

johnnybv

We have the largest selection of designer clownfish anywhere in our area, from Helmeted picassos, to gold nuggets, and now the latest release of the Longfins!  Check them out!

longfins_zpsshq0a4cf.jpg

This crazy looking clownfish is the resulting offspring of two rather normal looking fish. One of the regular SA clownfish pairs had been laying eggs for some time now, with an estimated total of 25,000 offspring having been hatched. Of this massive amount, only one fish has shown signs of the longfin mutation.  According to Sustainable Aquatics, a member of their staff found the odd looking clownfish with the unusually long fins, which was being harassed by its tankmates. Seeing just how unique the fish was, the staff member relocated the fish so that it could heal from all of its battle wounds. After all, clownfish can be very aggressive toward each other. After some time, the longfin clownfish was eventually paired with a wild-caught female Ocellaris. The hope obviously being that the longfin trait could be passed down to another generation and potentially blended with other clownfish aberrations to created a whole new genre of designer clown.

I think they are interesting, just not sure how I feel about them. I think I would like them better if the extended find weren't so stiff looking and more freely flowing with the water

It's really interesting to see how there are some people that hate them as well as all the people (like myself) who think they're really cool.  They really are like clown guppies.

I am NOT a fan of any of the ornamental clownfish and think they are just plain ugly, but these I actually think look pretty cool.