Stink bugs?

nextlevel808

Has anyone had a problem with finding dead stink bugs in their tanks? I have found a few in my sump and in overflow. Has anyone had any problems with these maybe messing with water quality or even maybe fish eating them? I have never found one in my trigger tank but that could also be because it may be eating them I've never noticed anything from my trigger though. But have been wondering if them dead in tank could change water quality.

I find them from time to time .. never had an issue with water quality. The main concern with bugs I hear is if someone sprays insecticide or baits them .. and they die in tank with the insecticide tracked in.

(edited)

I have found them in my freshwater tanks with no problem. I have heard of people feeding them to large fw fish.

Edited by freshfins

I've found them in the tank, in my skimmer air-lines (I've since screened my outside air intakes), and all over. I hate 'em. That said, they've never been a concern of mine when it comes to water quality. Just fish them out when you see them.

They are attracted to the light so I get a lot since my lights are on late. No problems. I have caught my cleaner skunk shrimp eating them. I'm sure the hermits and clean up crew finish them off also. No crew in my sump to eat them but water quality is good.

I had them around summer time last year. but have not seen them this year.

Lucky. I have an invasion of them in central Loudoun. Every year about the 3rd week of September, they begin to swarm the house. I vacuumed up almost 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of them (while alive) from outside on my deck 2 years ago. 

Geez, How do we get risk of them? What are you doing with them? feed the fish? J/K

I used to get them by the dozens inside the house. Since we got all new windows they don't get in anymore.

I'm pretty sure that they overwinter in the attic. That's why they swarm up when they do. They get in through our ridge vent and through small openings in the soffit vent. It's virtually impossible to keep them out. During the fall and the winter, at their peak, we'll catch a dozen a day. This year, I took to using a standard half-liter water bottle cut in half, with the neck end stuck into the base backward (like a small DIY fish trap). I keep it on the shelf in the freezer and, when I happen to see a bug on the wall, I'll walk up and scoop it up. Then back to the freezer it goes. The bugs don't normally don't even stink up when I do this. 

They're an invasive species, reportedly brought over from Asia. A couple of years ago, I read about some modest investment being made in research for how to better control them (naturally and also with pesticides) here in Virginia. (I first noticed them when I was on a retreat out in Front Royal, then within a few years, they were out in my area south of Hamilton. They're spreading.)