Calling Skimmer Junkies

YHSublime

Calling all you skimmer junkies.

Let's get some solid recommendations on a skimmer for 120-150 gallons. Looking for internal only.

Depends on how heavily stocked the tank is.

Very light. 1 yellow tang, 4 clowns.

Will it remain that way?

Hope so, no real interest in any more. I don't want a lid, and I don't have a lot of space.

Thought you had an 80 gallon?

105 dsa plus the sump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dude go with a etss becket skimmer.

Aren't they downdraft? And out of business?

I have an Ati bubble master 200 you can borrow if you want.

Thanks man, I'm just trying to figure out what else is out there in the world of skimmers.

Quantum NYOS 120

Quite a price tag on it. Worth it?

Paying a lot for a skimmer is never worth it. We had a talk on this research too at a meeting a few years back. Basically as long as it creates bubbles it's just about the amount of air it generates. So you should generally buy on other features. A $150 skimmer works as well as a $1000 skimmer at removing dissolved organics.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

Paying a lot for a skimmer is never worth it. We had a talk on this research too at a meeting a few years back. Basically as long as it creates bubbles it's just about the amount of air it generates. So you should generally buy on other features. A $150 skimmer works as well as a $1000 skimmer at removing dissolved organics.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

Thanks for sharing, good information to have in my pocket!

It's worth it. I've had SRO cone skimmers, beckets, vertex, and this. The price is the build quality ANDY consistency. If your not going to run a becket, NYOS is one of the best. They don't charge more for the H-E-double hockey sticks of it, they charge more for better materials, meaning more reliable and longer lasting, and more precise cuts and shapes, giving u the consistency.

And while it is true things can be overpriced in this hobby, have u ever known a $150 piece of equipment to work as well as a $1000 piece of equipment? Has that really ever been true for anything in your life? Yeah maybe a $300 skimmer works as well as a $400 skimmer, but not all skimmers are equal. I mean, why get an expensive Nikon camera when you can use a disposable camera, they both take pictures?

I am agree with Brian Ward. I have been running an old RO NWB200 on my 150 and it only cost me 120 bucks. I then ran a newer diablo series RO that seemed to pull out less gunk, but cost 300 more. I will rock my NWB200 until it falls to pieces or I upgrade to a bigger setup.

With 4 fish, three being small, I would make sure the skimmer has a small neck. A light bioload is not going to work well with a big skimmer if it has a 5+" neck. I would think any skimmer would work well, just find one that uses parts that are easy to get and are very reliable. If your keeping a small bioload I wouldn't oversize much. Paying a lot doesn't always mean you are getting the best skimmer for your tank.