Kalk/Calcc Combo Method

bbyatv

I have had a few people over purchasing corals who asked me about how I maintain the alkalinity and calcium in my tank and how I get good growth rate on m corals.  I decided to write up a little article that describe what I call the kalk/calk combo method.  The goal of the method is low maintenance, high stability.

Here is a link to the article if you are interested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5QJJLprX7aQclZsN2pyLU1zTU0/view

Thanks,

Bruce

Thank You Master Reefer. May I ask do you use vinegar as well to increase carbonate absorption for the SPS ? 

No sir.  This method adds the only things I put in the tank besides food. Kalkwasser, the calcium reactor, and the magnesium.

Bruce

Thank You Master Reefer. May I ask do you use vinegar as well to increase carbonate absorption for the SPS ? 

Thanks.  Sorry for the delay.  I had to let it get published elsewhere before I could add it here.  I had made a promise.

Bruce

I have been looking forward to this article. Thank you Bruce! 

I loved using a peristaltic dosing pump for my kalk dosing.  Wish I could go back to it, but there just isn't enough room in my stand for a kalk stirrer.  

How often (if ever) do you pull the kalk stirrer out for a thorough cleaning?

That sucks.  If you shoot me your email address, I can send it to you.

Bruce

google docs is blocked at work :(

Ya, there are heavy elements that do not end up going into the tank and settle at the bottom of the stirrer.  I have to clean it out about every 3 months or so.

Bruce

I loved using a peristaltic dosing pump for my kalk dosing.  Wish I could go back to it, but there just isn't enough room in my stand for a kalk stirrer.  

How often (if ever) do you pull the kalk stirrer out for a thorough cleaning?

• 5 months later...

Thanks.  I am glad you were able to find it.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Bruce

Thanks for this excellent article, had been searching for it.

Bruce, I saw the masterflex models you recommend in the article.  Do you find them to be too noisy?  I never tried getting one of those because that's what I'd heard about them.  

Hmmm?  I keep all of my dosing pumps etc. in a room separate from the display tank.  I do not think they are very noisy.  The return pump is far louder.  If you have a sump and a return pump, I would say you would not hear them over that.

Bruce

Bruce, I saw the masterflex models you recommend in the article.  Do you find them to be too noisy?  I never tried getting one of those because that's what I'd heard about them.  

You are always welcome to stop over and check them out in action.

Bruce