Petco

edress714

Has anyone had any good experiences with Petco? The one in Burke VA has some decent fish at times and I thought they knew their stuff but lately I have seen a few fish dead, bubble algae growing. I work right down the street and always go by during lunch to look at what they have. It saddens me that I sometimes see these beautiful fish laying on the sand dead. 

The one in lakeridge isn't horrible...they have a seperate 'frag' tank... Prices can be ridiculous since they don't carry alot, and some of the stuff is not listed correctly, but for the most part the tanks are okay... Just depends on who's running it.

I think the same can be said for any store, just depends who's running it, and what the budget is. I would imagine with big chains they probably have a big list of expectations, and want it done on an unrealistic amount of money or time.

It's probably worth the few extra dollars to visit a local sponsor!

The Petco in Bailey's Crossroads isn't bad either, but I'd def put any fish from petco through quarantine, since most don't seem to do any sort of treatment themselves. I've picked up a few fish and inverts from that location that have done well, but that was before I found Quantum Reefs, which is a much better option, and I still hit up Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring when possible. If you're out near Burke, it's worth the 20 min. drive to check out Reef eScape. 

Never buy any live stock from them ....go to a real pet store that supports wamas there are so many in VA.

The Petco in Bailey's Crossroads isn't bad either, but I'd def put any fish from petco through quarantine, since most don't seem to do any sort of treatment themselves. I've picked up a few fish and inverts from that location that have done well, but that was before I found Quantum Reefs, which is a much better option, and I still hit up Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring when possible. If you're out near Burke, it's worth the 20 min. drive to check out Reef eScape. 

went in that store a couple years back and just about all the fish were covered with ich but --yeah-- depends on who's running the store

I was in the Fairfax one a few months ago and they didn't have saltwater fish. I've been to the Tysons, Baileys, and Alexandria ones in the last few weeks and here is how I would rate them:

1. Baileys - Tanks look clean, fish looked ok, though one of the tanks was really overstocked with pj cardinals

2. Alexandria

3. Tysons - by far the worst. Tanks are filled with ich-covered fish all the time, then empty (due to the fish dying), then filled again, over and over. This is a shining example of all the bad things you hear about Petco.

The LFS in our area are all much better.

The one in Dale city was always hit or miss, sometimes the manager would do some type of revamp and everything would look nice for a couple months, then it would go to pot again. 

If you do go, make sure you pick healthy looking fish and QT EVERYTHING. I've bought quite a few fish from there; all 3 of my fuzzy lions including a yellow, and they did well. 

The one in Manassas by 66 never looks good, but the one on Liberia didn't look bad last time I dropped by. Had to slap myself from buying a tiny <1" neon dottyback  :rolleyes: 

Oh trust me I only go to look. I just stand there and stare lol. I don't get much of a lunch so that's the closest spot I can go to just kill some time. they should just stop carrying saltwater fish and go all freshwater like petsmart

Personally, I've had some fish from Petco that survived and other fish from local "reputable" business that died after a few days ,so i guess it depends on luck and how well the fish get along. 

I purchased several fish from Petco before and some of them still swimming happily in my tank like clown fish and cardinal. firefish and 6 lines wrasse lived for about half year than no where to be found. missing in action.

ive got a very healthy metallic green carpet thats now a foot plus wide and the brigtest thing in my tank. how much 65 bucks. how much at a reef store 450+ quoted. Couple other pieces from them... they have great 10$ deal on colored anemones that are hardy.

I see one or two fish dead at every place.

Petco did buy out Dr Foster and Smith this year.

I'm waiting to see how the buy out changes Drs. F&S and if this will affect Diver's Den as well.

I see one or two fish dead at every place.

So much of this. It's the nature of the beast.