Cyclopeeze freezer bars

John Ford

(edited)

I bought one about 7 months ago at the place in Lynchburg, va only place in the last year I've seen it. Probly because they are no longer harvesting cyclopeeze.

They are very convient

Edited by khh27

From what I understand, they discontinued manufacturing the freezer bars.  The now sell packs of cubes separately or with PE Mysis.  I contacted the company via email through their website but they never responded to my question if they will start making the bars again. They have them at House of Tropicals in Glenn Burnie; so, they are being marketed. 

Those cubes of cyclopeeze with the mysis are different(i dont have a scientific explanation i just know its not the same). My coral would go nuts over the bars.

Ill look i to the larger pack and see if its the same.

Thanks!

Interesting timing on this thread.  I just got email a few hours ago from one of the principals at Piscine Energetics about a new calanoid copepod they're harvesting from Norway.  Looks like a really close cyclopeeze replacement food item.  Cyclopeeze hasn't been harvested for over 2 years, so anything you find in stores is at least that old.  Probably still good though.  I still have half a block of the big flat packs in my freezer, been hoarding it for a while now :)

The original freezer bars were distributed by a vendor in NJ and often labeled with the local fish store's name an address. The copepods were originally harvested by Argent Labs in Canada. A series of poor harvests due to improper salinity lead to a shortage in the marketplace. Piscine Energetics purchased a significant amount of the remaining inventory and offered it for sale in a dual PE/Cyclopeeze blister pack combo until the supply was exhausted. This was the same copepod packaged in the cubes as was used in the freezer bars. It was also available in Kg bricks which we experimented with until they were exhausted too. A change in ownership at Argent occurred last year and the new company is called Argent Aquaculture. The freezer bars are still not shipping as far as I know.

Recently at the Global Pet Expo Piscine Energetics announced their new "Calanus" copepod which is harvested from the Red Sea. It is a blood red, nutrient rich copepod which is high in natural Omegas and pigmentation enhancers. I am told it is about 200 microns larger than the original cyclopeeze we all know and used before but not much different to the naked eye.

As a distributor for all Piscine Energetics products we will soon be getting the dual blister packs of PE Mysis and the Calanus copepod. We are also getting the raw calanus product to evaluate adding it to the LRS Reef Frenzy blend. LRS has had a relationship with the owner of Piscine Energetics for 3 years and we are always seeking ways to be on the cutting edge of nutrition with the newest innovations.

Interesting timing on this thread.  I just got email a few hours ago from one of the principals at Piscine Energetics about a new calanoid copepod they're harvesting from Norway.  Looks like a really close cyclopeeze replacement food item.  Cyclopeeze hasn't been harvested for over 2 years, so anything you find in stores is at least that old.  Probably still good though.  I still have half a block of the big flat packs in my freezer, been hoarding it for a while now :)

We were typing at the same time..LOL

Thanks for the replys!

I still have a 2" chunk left of my last bar and break it out each once in awhile. Ive used several other what i call knock offs (dont get me wrong my corals eat whatever) but the response i get from the original bar is like no other. Maybe its just me -shrugs-

Thanks for the replys!

I still have a 2" chunk left of my last bar and break it out each once in awhile. Ive used several other what i call knock offs (dont get me wrong my corals eat whatever) but the response i get from the original bar is like no other. Maybe its just me -shrugs-

No I feel the same way...it's like crack!

Recently at the Global Pet Expo Piscine Energetics announced their new "Calanus" copepod which is harvested from the Red Sea.

Interesting.  The package says arctic waters and product of Norway.

Interesting.  The package says arctic waters and product of Norway.

You are totally correct...Geeze what was I thinking. I had the middle east on the brain cause we have been working with customs for a month+ ref shipping to Lebanon. Total brain fart on my end and thanks for correcting. That's what happens when you are up to late on web forums.

Im not sure what are freezer bars but Tropical Lagoon in MD have the little triangle frozen cyclopeez in stock, call them just to double check , I bought them about a couple weeks ago. 

So, any word on another scarce food item, those of you who have dealings with manufacturers?  Namely, Nutramar Ova?  That was the one and only thing that my brief experience with a mandarin (before it went floor surfing) would eat frozen.

I also always wanted to try the freeze dried Cyclopeeze, but it was unobtainable before I got around to looking for it.

I can't comment on the prawn egg product from Nutramar and it's availability since I have never seen it in a store during my recent travels. We have a steady supply of freshly harvested marine fish eggs arriving 2x per week, but unfortunately they are split between our Fish Frenzy® blend and non-retail packs for aquaculture use. These eggs are an incredible whole food source and if we have a surplus we may try and package some for retail sale. These eggs are almost worth their weight in gold for finicky eaters.

6CDC4998-BCA9-45CA-AFE4-AC0921A30827_zps

We extract them right from the belly of the fish, add them to Fish Frenzy® and than rapid freeze to maintain integrity and reduce cell damage.

D32FF2CF-C6CB-41AF-8053-B6D555648477_zps 

If we are able to secure enough eggs to package them for retail sale it will be announced on WAMAS and our Facebook page at Facebook/Larrysreefservices.com

On the way to Reef A Palooza right now and we will get to see this first hand at the PE Mysis booth. I'm excited to get some in my hands when our next pallets arrive shortly.