Who here uses a Reef Angel controller?

linkfalcon

Anyone here use or have a Reefangel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Origami
Title edited to draw participants; corrected spelling in main post so Isaac will be happy. ;-)

LOL. Yes, we have a few here that are die-hard reef angel fans. They can certainly help answer questions and always seem eager to help a new person come up to speed.

I use one and wrote a bunch of code for the libraries. So did lnevo. Ross, Roscoes Reefs, here also knows a lot of reef angel. Jack, howaboutme, also used one, but i believe he is retiring his tank.

What do you need?

Edited by AlanM

Yep... Still a big believer in it and not selling a thing. Will use on my next tank. You will get a lot of support here and on their forum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Just trying to figure what away to go and what one to use

Ok. It is very very flexible. And via the forum you have a direct line to the inventor and all developers who also like helping out new folks. You also have access to all source code. Nothing is proprietary so even the hardware is open. If you buy a non-Reef Angel piece of something that you want to use with RA, they will help you figure out how to do it.

Also there are fun modules for it that do not exist with other controllers, like a variable output water level sensor which isnt just an on/off switch, but a real pressure sensor that tells you how high the level is. Roberto uses that in his overflow box and controls his DC return pump speed via that data.

All of that comes with a bit of a price, which is a brief, but intense, learning curve. It took me about a week just to figure out what to do with the box of stuff I was sent, but now that I know it, I could set up another one even with lots of custom code in a couple hours and with basic code in a few minutes.

I'm excited to get one up and running. Not sure how long it will take me to actually get the unit and then learn the thing but I cant wait. It has so much more to offer the aquarist that likes to tinker.

Not sure how much help I'll be able to offer you in Woodbridge, Va., madweazl, but maybe we could do stuff over a skype session.  Where are you located, linkfalcon?

Sweet I just picked one up off the wtb

Congrats!

Since you bought used, make sure you know whether it's a regular "Reef Angel" or a "Reef Angel Plus". You will want the Plus if you want to do anything other than using it as an expensive timer as it has more memory. Just one of Alan's codes will blow the regular apart. :)

Congrats!

Since you bought used, make sure you know whether it's a regular "Reef Angel" or a "Reef Angel Plus". You will want the Plus if you want to do anything other than using it as an expensive timer as it has more memory. Just one of Alan's codes will blow the regular apart. :)

If he bought the Big Sarge 81 one it looks like a Plus, so he should have no problems. 

linkfalcon, do you have dosers?  If so, between me and lnevo we have some nice code for running them easily. 

Also, do you have things that use 0-10V dimming or PWM dimming like Tunze/Jebao pumps or LEDs?  If so, we have cool code for those things, and each relay box includes two dimmer outputs. 

Lastly, you can use the lowATO and highATO ports on the head unit to do many things: extra PWM dimming ports, leak detection, power outage detection, skimmer overflow detection, etc, as they're just open/close sensors, but can be flipped with a few lines of code into digital outputs. 

(edited)

Just picked it up today going to start playing with it here in a bit I have evergrow led with controllers and jeabo wave makers

O I'm also in springfield not to far from u

Edited by linkfalcon

Ok. The latest version of the software does a pretty good job of setting up the wifi and generating default code to be loaded into the controller.

One thing that confused me was the whole internal memory question. If you have things you want to change in realtime, like pump profiles, light intensities, temps, doser timings, etc., you need to use internal memory for those things instead of hardcoding them into the program loop. Then with any of the mobile apps or with the portal online you can poke new values into those internal memory locations. You can even do it with your web browser with urls like http://192.168.1.5:2000/mb230,72

Do you have a programming background at all? If so, the setup and loop sections in the generated .ino file will probably make sense.

Oh, you can also have fun making the display show exactly what you want it to show in any color.

not the progaming side not really i do a lot of kitchen equipment troubleshooting

i need to order floats and the two pin leads for the controller 

Consider using the pressure sensors too or in lieu of. Check out the water level expansion. Also check out the avast ATO with the ra connection. If back ordered Justin will make one for you.

Hey guys! Welcome to the RA club link! I second Jack on the water level sensor. I use the single to monitor my ATO container. I've been using my RA for almost 3 years now. It's been the key to being able to run my reef for so long.

Jack, what's this about your tank???

Hey guys! Welcome to the RA club link! I second Jack on the water level sensor. I use the single to monitor my ATO container. I've been using my RA for almost 3 years now. It's been the key to being able to run my reef for so long.

Jack, what's this about your tank???

I had to shut it down because of the lack of time to properly take care of it. Family commitments and a demanding job got the best of me. I will be back when things settle down in a few years I am sure. I only sold livestock and will keep most of my equipment.

hey useing the wizard to program and kinda confused about the dosing part  id like them on port 5 and 6  i have brs dosing pumps 1.1 ml  i dose 20ml of each i want to dose in the am 

hey useing the wizard to program and kinda confused about the dosing part  id like them on port 5 and 6  i have brs dosing pumps 1.1 ml  i dose 20ml of each i want to dose in the am 

It doesn't really dose all at once per day via the wizard, as I recall.  If you wanted to dose 20ml of each one per day you'd do something like 1 minute on every 60 minutes.  

If you have the wireless attachment and it is connecting to http://forum.reefangel.com/portal.php correctly, you should put statements like 

ReefAngel.DosingPumpRepeat1(Port5);
ReefAngel.DosingPumpRepeat2(Port6);

inside the loop() statement.  This lets you use "internal memory" to control the dosing timers which the portal will read and write to.  Since dosers are the main thing you'll want to tweak as time goes on without recompiling and reloading the code it's the thing that most people put in internal memory.  I don't know how the wizard has you do it, actually since I don't have the wizard on my machine apparently.

Once it's connecting to the portal you'd click on the internal memory section and then click on Dosing Pump to set timings for pump 1, 2, 3.  It only supports 3 pumps in the portal by default.