Maroon Clown Fish - Yes/No and Pictures??

Scubaguy

Since I am getting closer to filling my tank. I have started a fish list. A couple of the fish that I truly love are Maroon Clown Fish.. but I hear they can be a tad bit aggressive once they mature...

Thought I would put something up to see if we can start a discussion around this... Also lets see them if you got them..:)

Im a fan of pictures... 

Thanks,

Richie

You will have a thread of people who can't stick their hands in the tank without getting blood draw.

I am trying to get this guy paired up with another one.....so far no luck, they are going at each other like cats and dogs......or 2 maroon clownfish that  don't like each other ....yet.

He is going in a 16g tank by himself with maybe 2 other fish, and a mate if it works. No way would I put him in a non aggressive reef tank.

gallery_2633915_1398_102907.jpg

So I have a breeding pair of Gold Bar Maroons.  Every time I put my hand in the tank on "her" side she tries to tear me a new one!!!  If it wasn't for the fact that they spawn every few weeks and may be the reason my Rainbow RBTAs split almost every other week, the female at least would probably be in the Potomac River by now :)  Pretty fish, especially when they are small, but my female is now at least 3-4" and very dark and mean.  However I must say, neither of them bother any other tank mates at all - JUST ME!!!!   She even pounds on the rubber gloves when I am in the tank working :)  Will see if I can get a pic tonight.

Tom

lets just say that aggressive isn't the right word :)

mine would draw blood.  needless to say, they are not in my tank anymore.

But your fuge is so big, you could always have em in your sump.  hahahah

So I have one that I love. But she used to be a terror.

When I first got her 4 years ago, she was a juvenile and hot along with a tiny male. He died during a trip out of town, and after that, skew killed every fish I put in there. Then I found an arc-eyed hawk she ignored. But she killed everything else.

When I moved up here from Miami, I lost a bunch of my stock. She survived. One of the fish I got started bullying her to the point I was really worried about her health. I got rid of that other fish. And she's been docile ever since (ok the dislike between her and the damsels was mutual).

Now she shares a tank with a small tang. And they share everything including a hole. They actually sleep together.

That being said, I won't get her a mate or a nem for fear she'll turn killer again.

aquarium7043.png

Thanks for the feedback everyone... I actually laughed out loud with the Potomac River comment... I guess I'm going to look at other types...

Scratching them off the list...

Tom, if you have a thread on breeding. If you can point me to it.. I would like to see your set up.. Thanks.

Richie

Lightning maroons are really hard to pair up... But not impossible most of the time they kill the potential male...

Maroons look amazing as juveniles but I'm not a fan of them when they get older and get darker.

Lightning maroons are really hard to pair up... But not impossible most of the time they kill the potential male...

Maroons look amazing as juveniles but I'm not a fan of them when they get older and get darker.

So I have a rough future ahead of me...... :huh:

So I have a rough future ahead of me...... :huh:

The best suggestion for pairing would be to get a breeder box and split it down the middle with clear acrylic or plastic mesh from a fantic store...

Or a RF200 acrylic acclimation box from seaside aquatics.

Give them a week or two to get used to each other and then maybe just maybe you will get lucky

Edited by Mattiejay6

Awwww I almost miss my gold stripe female and white stripe male :)

Almost,lol

Had to buy thick plastic cleaning gloves to clean the tank with cuz she bit me so much...

Then she started being able to bite through them,lol

And then we got orders to move...

Edited by smallreef

DSC00893.jpg

To give you an idea.. That anemone is 18 inches wide...

(This was my 150g aggressive tank with compact fluorescents, hence the bleached nem, but it was like that for 5 years)

Awwww I almost miss my gold stripe female and white stripe male :)

Almost,lol

Had to buy thick plastic cleaning gloves to clean the tank with cuz she bit me so much...

Then she started being able to bite through them,lol

And then we got orders to move...

Mine has never bit me lol. She hides!

aquarium7043.png

Mine has never bit me lol. She hides! aquarium7043.png

Mine got to about 8 inches long before I got rid of her,since we were moving. When she was smaller, years 1-3 she wasnt as BAD...but when she went in the 150g she started getting very territorial, plus she got a new boyfriend and a new nem she never could smother,lol

Edited by smallreef

Mine got to about 8 inches long before I got rid of her,since we were moving. When she was smaller, years 1-3 she wasnt as BAD...but when she went in the 150g she started getting very territorial, plus she got a new boyfriend and a new nem she never could smother,lol

And that's why I've decided not to give mine a mate or a nem. I'm hoping she always stays just how she is now. I've had her the longest....

aquarium7043.png

I'm convinced that mine is possessed. It doesn't draw blood every time maybe 50% of the time every time. Doesn't bite other fish just the hands that feeds her

1350afa40736da72fe0c6cd473e9e551.jpg

Since you requested pics...Highly recommend this fish! Never a dull moment always exciting every time you put hands in the tank! Guests also get lots of enjoyment seeing this tiny fish rip the daylights out of my fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1350afa40736da72fe0c6cd473e9e551.jpg

Since you requested pics...Highly recommend this fish! Never a dull moment always exciting every time you put hands in the tank! Guests also get lots of enjoyment seeing this tiny fish rip the daylights out of my fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG! Yeah.. I really guess i am not going there..:)

If you'd like the look and personality of a maroon with a bit of a less aggressive edge, you can look into a hybrid like a mai tai (female ocellaris/male maroon) clown. I've had mine for about a year (pictured below with the black ocellaris when I first got her, and a month or two ago with the tang and anemone) and she's been pretty relaxed with her tank mates (currently a pair of bartlett anthias, a randall goby, green mandarin, black male clown, and a yellow tang. She also lived peacefully with a since rehomed sixline and a few other species that didn't make it due to beginner mistakes and various ailments). She has a pretty unique color and shape that I find interesting and pleasing.

As I said, she's not as aggressive as the maroons I've read about, but she's also not a docile ocellaris. She'll nip at me if I mess with her anemone, though she's never come close to drawing blood, and she'll give mean looks to the anthias or randall goby if they venture too close to the rbta, though I've yet to see her actually attack, and they all peacefully eat right above the rbta (which has no bubble tips anymore and is freakin massive and takes up an entire corner of my tank, but I digress).

She does have a potential mate - a black ocellaris. She wasn't fully mature when I purchased her, and I added her to the tank at the same time as a then very small black ocellaris and watched them closely for a few weeks. Because he was so small, he submitted pretty quickly and she didn't pay much attention to him...until I added the rbta a few months later, then all H-E-double hockey sticks broke loose. Pretty sure that's when she started to become female. She became territorial and really aggressive towards the black ocellaris (although she never bothered the other fish) and tore his fins up pretty consistently for a few months, to the point that I considered separating them. However, over time she allowed him to hang out near the anemone (never inside) and although I don't think they've fully "bonded" yet, they now both spend almost all of their time hovering in and/or around the two rbtas, and he's allowed to hover closer to and sometimes in one of the anemones. She still charges him sometimes, but I'm content with their current status, though of course I hope that they fully bond over time and maybe spawn. It'd be interesting to see if 1. she's fertile and 2. if so, what the offspring of a mai tai female/black ocellaris male would look like. Not sure I've seen that combination yet, though MattieJay or another clown breeder may know if that hybrid exists. 

I've seen them at various stores in the area and I picked mine up from Tropical Lagoon for a pretty reasonable price, something like $35-$40. I would highly recommend them based on my own experience, but I may have lucked out with mine.