Plumbing

Irishblitz

I was wondering --- flexible tubing or PVC piping for all plumbing under the tank? Which one and why; excluding the obvious cosmetic choice of PVC.

Edited by Irishblitz

I've had good results with both but it's hard to beat the convenience of flex tubing. It can add a bit of noise to the system but that is about the only drawback I can think of (besides cosmetic anyways).

I used flex tubing for my tank for almost 2 years, I eventually hard plumbed it so I could add a manifold, I prefer the hard plumbing but had no issues with flex tube for almost 2 years

Flex tubing connections are not as sound as PVC, IMO.

Flex is great for underground use or in tightly confined areas such as hot tub cabinets. Unless the fittings are glued correctly, they too can 'flex' and fail when bumped. In commercial fish holding systems, it was used in areas with high foot traffic in the belief that they would flex and not break, but I sure did repair a lot of them...

Schedule 40 hard pipe and S40 fittings are the best in my opinion to use for 90% of anyone in the hobby. Schedule 80 is great for heavy traffic areas and super thick bulkhead areas and high pressure pumps but is simply an expensive overkill for hobbyists.

FWIW- noise in pipes has more to do with excess air in pipes instead of type of pipe.

OP didn't specify what type of flex...flex pvc, clear tube etc. Clear tube tends to end up with algae growth in it. Thin wall flex tube (not flex pvc) is more prone to kinking. Just some considerations, not deal breakers.

Honestly, I think it's just personal preference. I prefer vinyl clear tubing over flex if I am going to use it. Both have their good and bad qualities. Typically if you add valves and want unions you will want pvc so at that point you may as well use pvc the whole way.

I think it depends on exactly how your setup is going to work.  I used flex tubing for the return on my last tank and never had any problems with it.  My current tank the flex tubing allows for jostling of the return pump which actually unscrews the bulkhead over time and causes leaking under the tank.  So... not great.  Will be replacing with PVC.

returns are indeed pressurized.

drains are not pressurized.

Flex pipe is typically white flexible PVC.

Clear or colored silicone tubing comes in various wall thicknesses and is what most of you are referring to as "flex".

Braided silicone is clear and has a woven braid integrated into the wall to allow for heavy duty use and kink-free turns.

Noise is not generated by type of pipe used but more on how the system is plumbed.

returns are indeed pressurized.

drains are not pressurized.

Flex pipe is typically white flexible PVC.

Clear or colored silicone tubing comes in various wall thicknesses and is what most of you are referring to as "flex".

Braided silicone is clear and has a woven braid integrated into the wall to allow for heavy duty use and kink-free turns.

Noise is not generated by type of pipe used but more on how the system is plumbed.

yes thank you, drains are not pressurized.. returns are obviously