Looking for a peaceful wrasse to add to my tank

Reefer_Madness

Peaceful Wrasse  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which wrasse would you suggest?

• Fairy Wrasse
    • Mystery Wrasse
    • Flasher Wrasse

I'm looking for a peaceful wrasse to add some color and character to my tank.  I had a bad experience with an aggressive fish, so I would like to get some feedback from some of you that have wrasses. 

My current livestock is:

Foxface one spot

(2) small clowns (occellaris)

Royal Gramma

Bicolor Blenny

I have an SPS 60 gallon cube with sand and crushed coral. Any thoughts?

Ben

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashers are nice, just make sure your top is very tight. Mine jumped out through a gap between the tank and a glass top on my IM 16g which was about 3/8" wide.

Not all wrasses in the three groups you listed can be generalized as having the same temperament. Some fairy wrasses are peaceful while others can be aggressive to other wrasses. Of all the wrasses I've ever kept the most consistently peaceful, and in order of most peaceful, have been; Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, Cirrhilabrus solorensis, and Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura.

Not all wrasses in the three groups you listed can be generalized as having the same temperament. Some fairy wrasses are peaceful while others can be aggressive to other wrasses. Of all the wrasses I've ever kept the most consistently peaceful, and in order of most peaceful, have been; Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, Cirrhilabrus solorensis, and Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura.

I'm new to wrasses as you can tell. Thanks for the info. I'll look those guys up.

Why don't you get one Flasher and one Fairy? ....you will have enough space once that Foxface grows up to 7" and gets removed :tongue:

Not all wrasses in the three groups you listed can be generalized as having the same temperament. Some fairy wrasses are peaceful while others can be aggressive to other wrasses. Of all the wrasses I've ever kept the most consistently peaceful, and in order of most peaceful, have been; Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, Cirrhilabrus solorensis, and Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura.

I had a pink margin that was great a few years back....well until she took a diving trip out of the tank....

Not on your poll but I have two possom wrasse, very cool.

I like them, never remember them when it comes to stocking!

^^^Sounds like a foreign film festival movie with all this flasher, fairy, and fox face talk. Then you throw in Isaac's comment about stocking..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C. rubrimarginatus “Pink Margin Fairy”: Occasionally available, somewhat expensive. Generally peaceful, except with C. lineatus

2820cf4adc8547a6441940bb88f17fad.jpg

C. lubbocki “Lubbock’s Fairy”: One of the smallest of the genus. Often available at an affordable cost. Two variants of coloration. While generally not overly aggressive, they will stand their ground quite well for their size.

e8e380af0754b45fefcf49f5c09eca4f.jpg

C. solorensis “Red-Headed Solon Fairy”: Commonly available, inexpensive. Generally aggressive with other

74921d6e375558827c1f907dc77813e5.jpg

C. cyanopleura “Blue-Sided Fairy”: One of the larger species in the genus (6”). Usually peaceful. There is a great deal of variation within this species depending upon collection region.

54c725f1e83dc853b9931f09b38c5311.jpg

These look like some good choices. Any thoughts or comments?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many awesome fairy and flashers it's tough to narrow it down. I'm a huge fan of the carpenter and McCosker on the flasher side. The orange back fairy (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis) contrasts nicely and is smaller for a cirrhilabrus too. I imagine they'd be awesome together in the same tank (yellow contrasts nicely with blue). The line spot (Paracheilinus lineopunctatus) is another beauty with a good number of "filaments."

(edited)

Wrasses are hit or miss IME. I've had a solorensis that was moderately agressive to anything in the tank. I had a supermale pink margin that wasn't agressive at all. I currently have a male laboutei that's slightly agressive toward other fairy wrasses. I had a flasher that was aggressive to other flashers and some fairies. I havent been able to discern any pattern. That said, I've never had a wrasse that was aggressive enough that it needed to be removed from the tank. 

My advice is to pick a couple that you really like and go for it. None mentioned in this thread would be a bad choice. 

I haven't seen anyone mention leopard wrasses. There are a few that are absolutely stunning, although they can be delicate. 

Choati wrasse. From Australia. Tough to find and expensive but nearly bulletproof once acclimated. 

ChoatsWrasse(male)WTMW_Ap15AS.jpg

"Regular" leopard wrasse, Macropharyngodon meleagris. The most commonly available. Easier to acclimate to captivity than the choati.

Macropharyngodon%20meleagris%20Leopard%2

The divided leopard wrasse aka blue star wrasse. This is the female variant. The male is green and not as nice IMO. 

p-80748-Blue-Star-Leopard.jpg

Two of my other favorites are the melanarus and radiant although they have a strong propensity to eat small inverts. 

5.jpg

p-80739-Radiant-Wrasse.jpg

Edited by Wrench

I really enjoy my McCosker wrasse.  He flashes the firefish all the time in my tank. 

(edited)

My McCosker's had awesome personalities. I ordered 3 online hoping for 3 females and ended up with 3 males. Every one of them had a different attitude.

Edited by SunWyrm

Yep, tough to narrow down for sure. Tough to beat the McCoskers's, such a nice array of color and the blue stripes are so vibrant. I'm a bit biased though :lol: 

(edited)

Pretty cool fish! Max size around 3" it looks like. Any details on temperament? At $3000, it will be a long time before I find out :lol: 

tn_unnamed%202_zpslbhfgbaj.jpg

Edited by madweazl