Nice toy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

The initial two weeks with the Zeovit guide have been completed to establish the bacteria for the system.  It is still void of any livestock and my plan is to move over the corals either late next week or the first week of April followed by the fish.  I have 

I also picked up a Geo 618 Calcium reactor with an aquarium plants CO2 regulator, CO2 tanks and tropic eden media (Thanks Bob).  My plan is to run the reactor off the manifold and if I have any trouble with a consistent flow switch to a peristaltic pump.  I just wish the 20# tank would fit under the stand so the 5# will have to do for now.

I took advantage of the Marineland sale and added a 20gal long with the glass canopy to serve as my ATO reservoir. 

(edited)

I had been debating how I wanted to mount the Radions in the canopy and came across a build thread on RC that I took this idea from.  After a quick stop to Lowes, I purchased (4) 2 foot 1 1/2" angle irons, L brackets, associated nuts and bolts along with a can of black platidip.  David (bruleyii) stopped by yesterday to help me remove the canopy and get everything screwed in.  I am happy with the results and the ease of being able to remove the lights for maintenance or repositioning if need be.  

Im one step closer to getting everything moved over.  Still targeting later this week or early next week for the corals followed by the livestock and Apex.

post-2634033-0-09866900-1427217207_thumb.jpg

post-2634033-0-82435900-1427217216_thumb.jpg

post-2634033-0-33262600-1427217230_thumb.jpg

post-2634033-0-28937500-1427217240_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apcoleman

Looks sleek, but is anything locking them in, or do they just sit on the lip? If they are resting, it truly worries me, if a tug on the cord sends it into any sort of diagonal, it's game over.

Looks sleek, but is anything locking them in, or do they just sit on the lip? If they are resting, it truly worries me, if a tug on the cord sends it into any sort of diagonal, it's game over.

I have stoppers on the ends so they can't fall out and there isn't enough room for them to wiggle diagonally.  once everything is switched over I plan on securing the cords in a fashion that will make accidental movement difficult 

Tony what types of corals are you going for?

Mostly SPS with a few LPS.  I am not planning on stocking any soft corals and will probably sell the zoas that I currently have.

Tony - is that light attached to the angle iron or just slid in between?

Question answered. :laugh:

Edited by DuffyGeos

Here is a pic to show the lack of clearance removing the cup.

Tony, Just saw this.. Definitely what i had to do if i didnt lower the baffles in my sump.. OUCH...

Tony - I had 2 radions over a 150g DD.  I then switched to a 400w MH w/ Lumenarc III reflector.  The tank was 100% SPS.  The difference was incredible.  In my old tank thread, I took before and after photos with the radions and the 400w MH, after 6 months with each.  The SPS were alive under the radions, and they did grow some, but under the MH, they just exploded in growth.  The colors were better too.  Many SPS lost their colors under LED.  Part of the reason I think is that LED light is really directed, like in a beam, but MH light (with a reflector) is just everywhere in the tank.  I think that's part of the reason I got better growth all around the corals - due to less shading.  That and the fact that a 400w MH light is much more powerful (PAR) than a bunch of tiny LEDs.  I had to remove my marineland canopy to hang the MH b/c the canopy wouldn't hold it.  Another WAMAS member with a 300g DD tried LEDs over SPS and switched back to 400w MHs as well.  When the day comes that I finally get a 300g DD, I am going to go with 400w MHs again, but I'd like to find slim MH reflectors that will fit inside the canopy (I prefer the look of a tank w/ a canopy than with a lighting hanging from the ceiling).  Anyway, just something to keep in the back of your mind if you see a good deal on 400w MHs or anything.

Ryan,  I may down the road add some T5s to supplement the radions.  I was having this discussion with Vince at QR and we both feel like the next big improvements with LEDs will be in the optics due to the punch they provide rather than the full spread of the MH.  The LEDs themselves have plenty of power but its managing that power where they all fall short.  Personally I would love to run MH but I just don't want to have to worry about the extra heat and added equipment that would need to be added to the system to manage it.  Plus I like the look of the canopy.  In my next home I will make sure that I can build something similar to what Ken building where I don't have to worry about space and have a better way to manage the extra heat, room etc but I don't see myself making that jump for a few years.  I just wish I had ventured into this hobby before the purchase of my current home so I was already thinking about a fish room haha.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a long night and some more work today I finally have all of the livestock from my two tanks moved over into the 250.  A few fish were a little pissed off at first but most have seemed to settle in quickly and have enjoyed the extra room.  I had not see my engineer goby come all the way out of his rock in a long time and forgot how big these guys got.  I have everything running off of the Apex now but still need to go through and cable manage all of the wires.  

I still need to go through and glue everything down.  I purchased a few tubes of my favorite super glue and plan on going to town later.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.  I plan on getting out the Nikon this weekend and snapping a few real pictures.

AA779C66-0063-4419-8E30-73A4106173DC_zps34CD7F8D-A6D3-464D-B66D-95A9A12961F7_zps

http://vid1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/apcoleman/75D69B4F-4BDB-48D4-9E2D-0D45AA42D1A5_zpscawxl8hc.mp4

Excellent. The addiction in full swing.

Thanks guys! It's been fun getting this going but what a relief to have everything switched over.

Looks great! Love the rock scape.

Thanks! My goal was to have enough hiding spots and keep it open for swimming. I kept the rock away from the glass as well

• 3 weeks later...

I am slowly getting my corals off the sand and mounted but the big update for the tank is that I have finally added the fish that has always been at the top of my list.  A big thanks to Vince over a QR for bringing in three gorgeous female Bellus Angelfish.  The first day they were eating cyclopeeze and are already taking NLS pellets along with mysis and most of my frozen food mix.  They are active and constantly swimming around the entire tank.

I am still dialing in the calcium reactor and waiting for a few supplies that I ordered that will help with my cable management.  

B8BA89E3-527B-4913-85C0-61AEC392D4D1_zps

40502AFA-20A5-4784-88AC-BFB36C758096_zps

F87D143F-AC25-44D0-B016-6ABE71347522_zps