• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I... Love.... Bellus....

Looking really good...

Looking good. I'm jealous.

Thanks Guys!

The Bellus have settled in well and are eating like pigs at this point.  They are eating all of the frozen foods I feed and I have the NLS pellets in an auto feeder during the day.  I will try and get some shots a little later today once the lights come on.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I have finally gotten the calcium reactor dialed in after testing everyday. I made a trip over to Bruce's recently and decided that adding a Cole Parmer pump will help in the long run rather than running it off of a manifold.

All of the fish are doing great and everyone is getting along well and they leave my corals alone. Currently I have the following stocked in the tank:

-mated pair of ocellaris clownfish

-mated pair of banghai cardinals

-trio of female bellus angels

-mystery wrasse

-orchid dottyback

-azure damsel

-engineer goby ~10"

-filefish

-citron goby

-kole eye tang

The only other fish I have considered adding is a Regal angelfish. I don't have many zoas and know that would be the first thing I would have to get rid of if I go down that road.

Edited by Apcoleman

Nice, glad everything is settling in. My dream is a blue face, or a regal... but you know, the whole zoa thing...

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

My clowns are finally back at it.  Took them two and a half months to get back in the mood.  Walked downstairs to feed the fish and caught them in the act.  The filefish may being going into the sump because he is trying to sneak a meal and the female and male just latch on to him and take him for a ride when he gets close.  

crappy iphone pic:

IMG_1944_zps2k6tcib3.jpg

IMG_1947_zpsgqhpzrn0.jpg

Edited by Apcoleman

• 2 months later...

Update: everything is growing well and looking good. I ended up removing the filefish and found him a new home. My female clown was surely going to kill him.

My bellus angels have established their pecking order and the largest female has started to become a little beligerant to the two smallers females. From what I have found online this may be the beginning of the change to male. She is noticiably larger than the other two. There has been quite a bit more chasing the other two around the tank without any damage. The others try and swim behind her now as not to get in the crosshairs.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

The Bellus have figured out their diferences and the trio is acting normal again. The bickering was between the two larger females and the larger one (who was the bully) has definitely established herself as the boss of the group. Now it is just a waiting game whether she starts changing sex.

780311DF-A032-42EE-9EC4-FEC51B2BB1F8_zps

Edited by Apcoleman

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my. That's a nice trio. How about a FTS?

Ill try and get one monday as i am traveling through the weekend.

MACNA was awesome and I picked up three JF corals for the tank. Needle in the haystack, red shortcake and one i forget the name but I think he called it a fire dragon. Ill post pictures of those as well.

Otherwise everything seems to be running smoothly. I will be sending out a water sample to Triton for analysis next week and will be anticipating the results. I had a nice long conversation with those guys and they are doing some pretty incredible stuff.

I should finally be able to get some pics up a little bit later this evening.  I was gone this past weekend in West Virginia white water rafting and since coming back it seems that work has been non stop coupled with the addition of a 2 month old puppy to the household.  I have added a Regal Angel that so far has been a model citizen.  This is the final fish that I am planning to add to the tank. He is eating frozen like a pig!  Pics coming tonight

Some pictures as promised.  The tank needs a little bit of cleaning right now and my plan is to take care of that tomorrow afternoon/evening.   I need to do a water change, change the socks and test my levels.  

FTS 9/17  It looks like cyano on the sand but it coraline growing on the larger pieces of sand/coral.  The iPhone just turns it into a purple blob

52A62B84-E925-4499-A626-FA59317C786E_zps

These three are the JF corals I purchased at MACNA.  These pictures were taken after they were dipped and added to the tank

E548E58B-E525-4F8C-B794-A99B188476EF_zps

A560AD1F-0876-4F0D-9363-BA7001F695F8_zps

E9FF3E1C-2A8C-4C49-81A2-EAB1995479FE_zps

Some random acro that started as a small frag when I started the tank which has been growing very well.  

58600551-4480-4983-B8DF-8084239630E6_zps

I will try and bust out the DSLR soon and get some pics.  

Edited by Apcoleman

• 2 months later...

Figured its time for an update.  After MACNA my free time took a major hit with work and the new puppy so the tank suffered.  That coupled with an Apex failure, Neptune's horrid customer service and a return pump failing while I was gone for a weekend, I lost most of my SPS including my MACNA purchases.  I honestly thought I was going to lose everything in the tank but the LPS all made it along a few SPS and all of the fish.  If I had lost all of the coral I was going to go FOWLR and get some more angels and butterflies and call it a day.  

After the setback I took a long look at my daily regimen with the Zeovit and decided to go back to the basics.  I am now running a small amount of GFO in the vibe reactor that shakes the media twice a day for 15 seconds to prevent any channeling.  So far so good.  I also have cheato in the sump under a LED grow light that is on 24/7. 

All of the fish are fat and happy and my enjoyment of the tank has gone back up.  The Zeovit system worked well but at this point in my life, I need to be able to just walk away from the tank and not have to worry about missing any dosing or having someone mess up the dosing if they are watching the tank.  I am slowly adding SPS back into the system with the help of some great member on this forum.

IMG_8378_zpsdukrvabf.jpeg

Still looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Isaac.  It was looking rough for a while but it is nice to have it back on track.  

Sorry, was on my phone and hate typing long things on the phone!

If I had lost all of the coral I was going to go FOWLR and get some more angels and butterflies and call it a day.  

If I ever get a big tank again, it will be a minimal work tank, I want to say FOWLR, but I will still include some easy corals.

After the setback I took a long look at my daily regimen with the Zeovit and decided to go back to the basics.  I am now running a small amount of GFO in the vibe reactor that shakes the media twice a day for 15 seconds to prevent any channeling.  So far so good.  I also have cheato in the sump under a LED grow light that is on 24/7. 

Welcome back. This is what I was trying to sell you on when you were trying to sell me on the blue bottles! KISS!

All of the fish are fat and happy and my enjoyment of the tank has gone back up.

That's what it's all about. Nobody likes extra work, especially if it isn't rewarding. When I mentioned I would have a couple of corals if I went big again, I would pretty much do what you're doing now. I would also do a bunch of montipora along with the frogspawn, and nems!