Red Cyano -worse ever

sen5241b

Been in this hobby since 2007 and whenever I saw Red Cyano I got rid of it in 2 or 3 days. The red cyano I have now has persisted for weeks! Its all down on the sand and some of the sand is free of it . My biggest question is what is fueling it? Whatever is fueling it killed my birdsnest. I have 2 clowns, a purple dottyback and a tiny green goby. Also, a 3G HOB fuge stuffed with cheato that grows like crazy. 

What I have tried:

3 day black out + Red slime remover followed by 50% water change

Deep blue Phosphate pads in HOB filter

API Phosphate adsorption pillow in HOB filter (according to directions it is overkill for my 20G long)

A second blackout followed by 50% water change

Skip feeding 2 days a week

I had an issue with it for the last month or so. I did mostly everything above to include a phosban 150 reactor filled to the top with GFO. I finally limited my lights to 4 hours a day and after about 1,5 weeks it has finally gone away. I am slowly brining up my lighting times too. I am hoping it won't come back.

In the areas where it grows, I stirred the sand and noticed it was saturated with lots of fine gray detritus. Could stirring the sand help? Cyano does tend to favor sand.

I just sucked it off the top of the sand and rocks. I would not stir the sand. You could use a be gravel vac and vac it. But stirring would put a bunch of trapped nasties in your water column

I just sucked it off the top of the sand and rocks. I would not stir the sand. You could use a be gravel vac and vac it. But stirring would put a bunch of trapped nasties in your water column

Trapped nasties? I run 3" sand beds and have never had problems disturbing the sand (vac'd 2-3 times a year to remove any detritus that may have accumulated).

Had some of the red nasty a year or so ago. I increased my waterflow a good amount and that got rid of it all rather quickly.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vacumn is different then stirring it up.

Not just vacing, I disturb it often with my hands. You arent going to hurt a thing with that much sand. If deeper, perhaps. Not sure how deep the OP's sand bed is but I wouldnt hesitate at 3" or less. 

I used to have a goby which used to clean up my sand bed...I never had to worry about cyano...but the only problem was it used to dig tunnels under the rocks and sometimes move the corals placed on the sand. Got rid of it...and now back to siphoning cyano out manually whenever it gets worse.

GFO really does help. It just takes a really long time to deplete the nutrients this pest feeds on. A lot of the lights out and meds I think just put a bandaid on it. Sounds like you are on the right track upgrade skimmer if possible. WC really helped me more than I thought.

Not just vacing, I disturb it often with my hands. You arent going to hurt a thing with that much sand. If deeper, perhaps. Not sure how deep the OP's sand bed is but I wouldnt hesitate at 3" or less. 

I read somewhere that the actual cyano is buried in the sand and the red slime on the surface is its byproduct so vacuuming up the slime itself up would accomplish nothing.

Since I've already tried more than adequate phosphate adsorption, I come back to my original question: what is the source of it?  I've been using more flake than normal the last couple months. I wonder if that could be a major cause.

Edited by sen5241b

You are feeding your phosphates. I had this issue a while back and it was maddening. Here is what I did to achieve success. Vacuumed all out that I could. Big water change, black out (and by that, just no lights, tank was close to natural light) and cut my feeding down by 3/4.

IMO, cutting your photo period down tremendously, and same with feeding, while performing aggressive water changes, will be the cure. I expect you're probably over feeding, or are overstocked. If it's not that, you don't have enough flow, or you're lacking sufficient nutrient export.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you continue to over feed after it's fixed, you will get it back again. If anybody else feeds the tank, maybe there is a heavy hand besides yours?

You are feeding your phosphates. I had this issue a while back and it was maddening. Here is what I did to achieve success. Vacuumed all out that I could. Big water change, black out (and by that, just no lights, tank was close to natural light) and cut my feeding down by 3/4.

IMO, cutting your photo period down tremendously, and same with feeding, while performing aggressive water changes, will be the cure. I expect you're probably over feeding, or are overstocked. If it's not that, you don't have enough flow, or you're lacking sufficient nutrient export.

+1, whatever changes are made can be done one at a time and gradually, though.

If you continue to over feed after it's fixed, you will get it back again. If anybody else feeds the tank, maybe there is a heavy hand besides yours?

Yep, good call. My son overfed my tank the other day. I am doing black out and 50% water change this weekend. Also checking the TDS of water in reservoir. No reason to think its high but you never know.

red slime remover, then 3 days blackout, then 50% water change. then lights on 4hrs/day. feeding every other day just a little bit. then gradually increase lighting. this has worked for me in the past. as soon as the lights are on too long or the feeding is too much, it will return. personally, i don't think flow has anything to do with cyano (good or bad). i've had it with high flow and low flow systems. i think it's based on "feeding" the bacteria via too much food/light.

Edited by Ryan S

red slime remover, then 3 days blackout, then 50% water change. then lights on 4hrs/day. feeding every other day just a little bit. then gradually increase lighting. this has worked for me in the past. as soon as the lights are on too long or the feeding is too much, it will return. personally, i don't think flow has anything to do with cyano (good or bad). i've had it with high flow and low flow systems. i think it's based on "feeding" the bacteria via too much food/light.

I've overdosed my tank on Red Slime Remover in the past. Do you use the recommended dose or more?

I've overdosed my tank on Red Slime Remover in the past. Do you use the recommended dose or more?

recommended, as exact as I can. I've read a few horror stories from over dosing, so I'm too scared to try more.

checked TDS in water reservoir and its off the scale. I use distilled water in 1G jugs and checked it and its all TDS 1, so how did the reservoir get like that? Sometimes I put my arm in tank, water level rises and tank water suctions back down replenishment tube into reservoir. I never paid it any attention. Wonder it this is the source of my  problems. If tank water gets suctioned down into reservoir and eventually gets pumped back into tank, does it make a difference?

gonna clean it out tomorrow completely.

Edited by sen5241b

I would advise deal with it naturally, but that's all opinion, I've also heard horror stories with the red slime remover.

I just recently got over a very bad case of cyano that killed my green birds nest too. I used Chemiclean's red slime remover and didn't have to cut back on the lights or feeding. I found stirring the sand and using the Chemiclean got rid of all of it.

I recommend using the liquid form instead of the powder since it is easier to measure out.