oh look another problem.

edress714

So I get home and luckily I look at the temp and it says 70!!!! The heater went out!!! I poured some warm water in and got my old 100w heater. It's at 72 now :( anything else I can do this late at night to help the temp go back up?

I keep my tank at 73... So it should be fine for a while as long as it stays and doesn't dip down to much.

Warm house, new extra heater tomorrow, the tank will be fine.

Do you have the temp rise and fall with the seasons? That's a cool reef.

Do you have the temp rise and fall with the seasons? That's a cool reef.

It gets warmer in the summer... Maybe up to 77 ish... I keep my house about 70 year round.. Cooler at night and my tank is in my walk out basement so it's the coolest spot in the house...

try an keep 2 heaters running...temp swings can cause a lot of issues.

here is what i do get my temp at 78-79 all the time 

1) set both heaters to about 80-81

2) set apex to turn heaters on at 78 and shut at 79.

how this helps

1)if 1 heater dies the other can compensate

2) if apex temp malfunctions and decides to make it hotter the heaters will auto shut off when they hit 80-81 so I'm not gonna overheat things.

3) if apex stays always on for heater again i am protected since heaters will shut off at 80-81

I'd go with two, 100-150w heaters and probably leaning toward the lower wattage unit (100-125w) provided your aquarium isnt in an abnormally cold area of the home or you like keeping the home cooler than about 65°. The reason being, if one heater malfunctions and stays in the on position, it will take longer to heat the aquarium to an unacceptable level giving you more time to identify and correct the problem. 

Edited by madweazl

Hope everything is ok.

Not that this will work on smaller systems, but I plan on having 3-4 smaller heaters in my system. Then if one gets stuck on high the others would turn off and the one stuck on high would not be able to produce enough heat to cook the tank. If one dies, the then the others would have to work a little harder. Seems like a a fail safe.

I also keep a box of hand warmers, like 20-30 of them, They get used by my kids, so they get rotated out since they can expire. I have never had to use them, but my thought would be to tape them to the outside of the tank, or to the top and cover it with a blanket. I would think this would keep a lot of heat in the tank if we lose power. That tank 16g also has a battery back up for the Vortech, so there would be circulation.

Holy moly, four heaters on a 16g?

Sorry, let me clarify it.

I have a 16g that has the Vortech, and I plan on using the hand warmers on that.

The other topic was the heaters, which I am planning on doing on my 300g tank (450g +/- total system). I would all just have to be scaled down. So if you had a 29g tank, you could run 4 25w heaters instead of one 100w. (maybe even get away with only 3 25w). Would cost more, but how much would a cooked tank cost in livestock and corals?

Go with 2 150watt....I have a 60 gallon and just upgraded to a 20 gallon sump and my 2 125watt heaters were not enough especially in the cold weather. Now that I went up to 2 150watt heaters it's all good. I run them both on an apex keeping the temp between 79.4 and 79.8

I think more than two is over kill. Definitely more practical on a large tank (200+ gallon) just because of the sheer amount of wattage necessary to heat that volume of water. 

I think more than two is over kill. Definitely more practical on a large tank (200+ gallon) just because of the sheer amount of wattage necessary to heat that volume of water. 

I guess what I am looking at would be to divide the heating job so no one heater could fry the tank, and if one dies, you still have enough to heat the tank. More redundancy then overkill....not to say I don't do things overkill some times. :laugh:

Heaters are one think that will always go bad....the question is just when.

So in the OP situation, instead of having his 150w heater die, he could have had 2 75w heaters. If one died, the tank could still have kept some of the heat then having no heater. If one instead of dying, got stuck on high (which does happen), instead of frying the tank, it would be working overtime to heat the tank, while the other would stay off since the heating was coming form the heater that was stuck on.  IMO