BTA Split

NovaReefer

Nope. Have a beer and enjoy your 2 nems!

Best advice I've seen handed out today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a couple schools of thought on why they split. Many believe it is because they're stressed and attempting to maximize survival prospects. My personal experience indicates that over feeding will cause them to split as well. Others believe they'll do it when everything is going well but that seems least likely to me. I'd investigate the first two theories a bit more.

There are a couple schools of thought on why they split. Many believe it is because they're stressed and attempting to maximize survival prospects. My personal experience indicates that over feeding will cause them to split as well. Others believe they'll do it when everything is going well but that seems least likely to me. I'd investigate the first two theories a bit more.

The feeding part brings up even more thoughts....  Depending who you ask you are supposed to feed them every month, every week, or never.  Mine was feed every week.

My personal experience in the feeding department was the amount given, not the frequency. I was feeding my last anemone about once a week but had to work out of town for a month and my wife fed it every day while I was gone. It went from 2" across the oral disc to 6"! She was feeding it a small portion of shrimp each day, it never split but grew like a weed. The anemone I had in a tank prior split after I fed it a whole silverside (another can of worms) when it was about 3-4" across the oral disc and it split that night. I never fed that anemone again and it did great (we moved and I gave it to another reefer).

Edited by madweazl

My personal experience in the feeding department was the amount given, not the frequency. I was feeding my last anemone about once a week but had to work out of town for a month and my wife fed it every day while I was gone. It went from 2" across the oral disc to 6"! She was feeding it a small portion of shrimp each day, it never split but grew like a weed. The anemone I had in a tank prior split after I fed it a whole silverside (another can of worms) when it was about 3-4" across the oral disc and it split that night. I never fed that anemone again and it did great (we moved and I gave it to another reefer).

Gotcha, Yeah mine got some brine shrimp that i would spot feed.

I stopped feeding my nems years ago. The only time I ever lost one was from manual propagation when I first tried it, but it came with six other successful ones. I've usually had to sell off my RBTA's because they get to large, without spot feeding. IME and IMO, anemones require similar care to SPS, stable water params, and lots of light. The only addition would be taking care to make sure the foot stays healthy (if you're pulling it off or moving it about.)

If your parameters are OK, and all your other livestock is doing well, I would enjoy your extra anemone, and continue to enjoy the beer.

Congrats to you.

I have 5 RBTA in my tank now.

They just keep splitting. I have already donated 2 last year to my lfs.

One completely decimated my xenia coral.

Now i am back up to 5 and  will have to get rid or 2 to 3 of them.

I occasionally feed mine.

Water is in the range of where i want it.

Mine have always split when it's gotten larger... Thought I killed it a few months ago (big euphyllia die off of 2014) it shrunk to a quarter and had no tentacles almost... Well now it's taking over and will be splitting soon again...

P.s. I never feed mine... My clowns may, but I've never seen them do it intentionally...

If you do decide to feed, a small squirt of mysis or frozen fish food is what I’ve found to work out better than when I was feeding eraser sized chunks of shrimp. Some of my BTA are pigs and will eat every time I offer food, others will on rare occasion.

My clowns feed my nems every time I feed. I think it has a lot to do with what you feed though. When I only fed mysis, brine or pellets the clowns only ate for themselves. Now that I have switched to reef, herbivore and fish frenzy they feed the nems the larger pieces and gobble down the smaller pieces for themselves.

My clowns feed my nems every time I feed. I think it has a lot to do with what you feed though. When I only fed mysis, brine or pellets the clowns only ate for themselves. Now that I have switched to reef, herbivore and fish frenzy they feed the nems the larger pieces and gobble down the smaller pieces for themselves.

Interesting observation. I'll have to explore it further when I get everything back up and running. 

Mine are doing the same thing now too!

Well, I thought I wasn't feeding mine but last night I dropped some chopped shrimp and clam into the tank and one of the clowns grabbed a big chunk and took it to his anemone. I just started with this sort of food-normally they get pellets and brine or mysis. I don't know if the clowns ever tried feeding their anemone with that stuff or not though.