Bobbitt worm or not.

morgan175

For the people who have had one. Here is a picture. If you shine a light on it at the right angle it shoots back in the hole or rock or sand. Where ever. I hace lost a bangaii, kole tang many peppermint shrimp. a4454a8942980834ebee7079013d03a0.jpg

Please advise

Really hard to tell from the picture. Do you hear snapping at night? Maybe it's a mantis?

hard to imagine a bobbit worm taking down and eating a Kole Tang unless it's enormous. Mine was about 18" long resting and about as big around as my little finger. It ate hundreds of Euphyllia heads, zoas but never ate a fish or a  shrimp.

hard to imagine a bobbit worm taking down and eating a Kole Tang unless it's enormous. Mine was about 18" long resting and about as big around as my little finger. It ate hundreds of Euphyllia heads, zoas but never ate a fish or a shrimp.

Here is a video of one taking out a kole tang sized fish

Edited by gmerek2

Woke up several times throughout the night and with the red light nothing. Guess i will try this for a week.

I kept a large one in a species tank for quite some time, and it rarely skipped out on grabbing an easy meal.  Just put a raw shrimp or a silverside near the hole an hour or so after lights out and wait for movement.  If it's a Eunicid, it will almost certainly go for it as long as it's dark and feels safe.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3H4J5QDQeA4 here is another one worth watching. Wow!

HOLY CR@P!  Don't tell me that thing just took out a lionfish!!!!!!! How big does that think get, and how big was that lionfish? The lion fish was easily 10x the width of the Bobbit!

The video footage reminds me of the movie "tremors" you best get an elephant gun to take em out. Jk on you tube I noticed there is a video on how to catch them. You may want to take a look at that.

bristle star not serpent star. 

Ophiarachna incrassata aka "Green Death Star" is a very efficient ambush predator that rears up on its' legs making a cage and when an unsuspecting fish swims through, drops onto it, crushes and eats it.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a bobbit, and it's in the rock, they can curl up real tiny like in there. Have you considered chipping the rock or breaking it to see if something is in there?