Chinese LEDs

Joshwaggs

So, I'm looking for some decent priced LEDs (kessil, eco tech, etc. are not reasonable when it comes to price) and I found a set that, I assume, are Chinese made. They are called Euphotica. They may have been called Evergrow, at some point. Anyway, the lights are programmable and about half the price of the big name lights.

My question is: has anyone used the Euphotic/Evergrow lights? What are your experiences?

Here is a link to the lights

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECHISWO/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A12DDOR52M4HB5

Thanks wangspeed. I sent them an email. Have ever used the reef radiance lights?

You might also want to check out Reefbreeders LED's, which run from $180-$230 for their value series. I picked one up from Tropical Lagoon about a year ago and it's been pretty great. They run them over their LPS frag tanks. For a value LED, it's pretty customizable and has a few helpful bells and whistles. I rarely run mine above 40% on a 40 breeder for 6 hours/day (each channel at 4 hours, overlapping for 2), and it's been more than enough for my mostly LPS dominated setup. I could probably run it for longer and at a higher intensity, but I'm happy with the growth as-is. I also have a maxi-mini that has grown quite a bit since I picked up the light, as well as an RBTA that had recently split and seems to be doing fine as well (the smaller of the two was in really bad shape from the recent split when I got it but has since perked up quite a bit.)

I have a few SPS, but can't speak on their growth or health yet since I've only had them a few weeks, but they seem to be popping okay. That said, I'm not sure I'd go with a lower end light if I were focusing on growing out SPS, but I'm also relatively new to the game.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/

If I'm not mistaken, the Reefbreeder Photon 24" is identical to the amazon Euphotica light in the link you sent. Same price, same exact size. Looks like the same LED with a different brand name. FWIW, the Reefbreeders "Photon" light has a 2-year warranty and a much cooler sounding name. 

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-24/

Edited by rtelles

I use the Evergrow lights on my 90, I got them from ERC. they are all pretty much the same, no matter where you buy them from, I got mine from ERC because they are on of the WAMAS sponsors and they have a 3yr warranty, however I'm petty sure the warranty wont cover the one that fell in my tank this weekend. 

They are great lights for the price, not quite as sleek as Radions but they do the job, I have a LPS dominant tank and everything is doing great, I also have some of the easier SPS Corals (birsdnest, Monti Cap & Setosa) that are showing very good growth and color.

Ross, on this forum at Roscoes Reef is selling new in box evergrow fixtures for cheaper than reefbreeders. Might check out the WTS forum and get a good deal on them.

- rtelles - I noticed that a lot of the Chinese LEDs look the same. Like Crob said, they aren't pretty, but they work. Im going to have some (not much) SPS, as well.

- Crob - Thanks for the info. Personal experiences go a long way when it comes to how I decide to buy something. Ill check ERC and see what they have. Did the light that fell in your tank shock everything? Does it still work?

- Alan - Thanks. Ill check out Roscoes Reef, too.

I ran the evergrows for a while on my 150, and I enjoyed them very much. Grew SPS also. Check my build "Two tanks, One room" for a ride all over the place with lighting.

Also, Ridetheducati used evergrow D120s over his tank for a considerable amount of time.

If you order through some of our vendors, you are able to choose the leds you want in terms of color and optics, so there is that.

YHSublime - Thanks. It sounds like the Evergrows are the way to go.

Just my experience, YMMV.

- rtelles - I noticed that a lot of the Chinese LEDs look the same. Like Crob said, they aren't pretty, but they work. Im going to have some (not much) SPS, as well.

- Crob - Thanks for the info. Personal experiences go a long way when it comes to how I decide to buy something. Ill check ERC and see what they have. Did the light that fell in your tank shock everything? Does it still work?

- Alan - Thanks. Ill check out Roscoes Reef, too.

the light didn't shock anything, it was in there about 10-15seconds, only 1 channel works right now I will probably switch out the driver and see if I can get it fixed, one of the nice things about ERC is they usually have the parts on hand to repair these fixtures.

I would definitely recommend giving them a shot, you cant go wrong for the money, my only regret is not going with the IT programable series, I went with the cheaper D2040's I have them hooked up to some timers and it works but I wish now that I would have spent the extra money for the programable lights. 

I will document my repair job and post it if I am successful 

ok not to Hijack th thread or anything, but I literally switched out the drivers on my Evergrow within the last 20 min and now I have a working evergrow again, there was no soldering to do at all, I just unsnapped some connections and took out a few screws

Sorry you can have your thread back now, I will start a new thread and post pics

Just an FYI for those that are on facebook...there's a group called Chinese Blackbox LED Proof group that has a lot of good info on PAR and modifications, acclimation, etc for these lights. They also have a great group buy going on now with 3 models to choose from and an optimized spectrum. Worth checking out if you're in the market. These are self service warranty so you don't have to send your unit in and won't break the warranty by opening them up. There's a basic fixture, one with a built in timer and one with the full ramping controller.

Just an FYI for those that are on facebook...there's a group called Chinese Blackbox LED Proof group that has a lot of good info on PAR and modifications, acclimation, etc for these lights. They also have a great group buy going on now with 3 models to choose from and an optimized spectrum. Worth checking out if you're in the market. These are self service warranty so you don't have to send your unit in and won't break the warranty by opening them up. There's a basic fixture, one with a built in timer and one with the full ramping controller.

+1 I can confirm that they are very easy to fix

ok not to Hijack th thread or anything, but I literally switched out the drivers on my Evergrow within the last 20 min and now I have a working evergrow again, there was no soldering to do at all, I just unsnapped some connections and took out a few screws

Sorry you can have your thread back now, I will start a new thread and post pics

You didn't jack the thread. This is exactly the thing I want to know about. I bought the d2040s from ERC (really nice people).

The only thing I'm trying to find now, is a way to hang them without the ceiling. The hangers are all ridiculously expensive. I guess if you put the word aquarium on something you can make the price whatever you want, and people will buy it.

Aquatic life has the limited stand hangers. They consist of two metal rods with a bend and a couple screws. They cost 100 dollars. That is just stupid. Then there are the bright sky frame hangers that are chinese made and are just as simple. They cost 78. hobbyists Are getting screwed and it's our own fault.

Flat aluminium bars they cost about $15 at HD I think the steel ones are a little cheaper, they are easy to bend and you can spray them black or whatever color you decide.

these will work (not aluminium)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-3-8-in-x-36-in-Zinc-Steel-Punched-Flat-Bar-with-1-16-in-Thick-802037/204225755?N=5yc1vZ1z116eqZ1z0yf8b

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-x-14-Gauge-x-48-in-Zinc-Plated-Slotted-Angle-802417/204225778?N=5yc1vZ1z116eqZ1z0yf8b

Edited by Crob5965

I used two electrical conduits with an elbow. Attached them to my stand with a couple of small metal pieces and screws (not sure what they are called). Works like a charm and I can strip it down easily if necessary. Probably cost $20. Only downside is I have pipe running up one side of my tank. Can bend a longer piece to alleviate that problem.

These are self service warranty so you don't have to send your unit in and won't break the warranty by opening them up.

just wanted to be sure it was clear that folks that have evergrow lights from us are welcome to open them; doing so will not violate or null the owners 3-year warranty from us. typically parts are provided free of charge and mailed free to customer to do a quick swap to get them back on the road. the evergrow lights are much easier to work with and infinitely more reliable units vs the shenzhen greensun optoelectronic frequently seen on other sites and on ebay. feel free to PM if you have any clarifying questions - glad to help! Edited by monkiboy

tank_zps43ec1a68.jpg

I used 1/2" rigid on mine. Instead of using fittings to bridge the cross bar i used a drop in anchor and epoxied the thread out of the end of the pipes. Then bolted the cross bar on.

just wanted to be sure it was clear that folks that have evergrow lights from us are welcome to open them; doing so will not violate or null the owners 3-year warranty from us. typically parts are provided free of charge and mailed free to customer to do a quick swap to get them back on the road. the evergrow lights are much easier to work with and infinitely more reliable units vs the shenzhen greensun optoelectronic frequently seen on other sites and on ebay. feel free to PM if you have any clarifying questions - glad to help!

Agreed, I figured the fact that I submerged mine in saltwater voided my warranty, I didnt even ask you guys to fix them as it was clearly my fault, not a defective fixture.

but good point, dont try this at home kids