Dave's Box of Slugs II Addition: really a build?

I am totally hooked on slugs now, and want to keep another species.  The tank in the office has Elysia clarki, a species found in the Florida Keys, and a couple of suppliers have indicated that they should be able to get E. crispata for me.  Here are the two side by side (crispata on right; not my photo)

m20918a.jpg

I feed the fish in the reef tank generously, generating some NO3 and PO4.  One constant source of maintenance in Box of Slugs I (the office tank) is having to add KNO3 and KH2PO4 to keep the algae happy.  So, why not add a box of slugs to take up the nutrients while at the same time allowing me to have a tank at home with slugs and macroalgae?

That brings up the question:  Is this really a build if I am just adding what is essentially an inline refugium?

Whatever.  Here is the new tank.  I bought a 30 cube on a rather trashed wood stand last week.  It also came with a couple of Marineland LED lights, which should be adequate for the algae.  I promptly slammed a corner of the tank into an unseen metal bit in the tailgate of the car, and had to order a new 27 gallon tank.  The stand is not beautiful, but is a remarkable match for the one under the 90, and gave me a place to put all of the controllers and powerstrips. The price was hard to beat.

Specs: 

27 gallon (20L X 18D X 20H) Marineland tank

2 X Marineland "reef" LED (21 X 1 watt each)

IMG_2657-e1420154517965-768x1024.jpg?res

I plan to put about 40 lbs of sand and a small amount of base rock in tomorrow, then fill it and run it over the weekend.  If all goes well, it gets hooked into the main system and I will add a few macroalgae next week.  

The big event for yesterday was drilling the tank and adding the input and overflow.  I plan to have very low flow, so I should not need a fancy standpipe.  

IMG_2653.jpg?resize=397%2C298

IMG_2654.jpg?resize=398%2C299

Edited by mogurnda

Very fun! And those are, dare I say it, pretty slugs!

You know you want to come to the dark (or is it slimy and squishy) side :ph34r:

This will be cool! I've always liked "display" refugiums. Is the sand necessary for the slugs? If not, would it make sense to just skip it? In such a low flow sand, it's bound to become full of detritus and gunk. If you just went bare bottom with a decent amount of rubble to make it look good, it would be easier to maintain IMO.

This will be cool! I've always liked "display" refugiums. Is the sand necessary for the slugs? If not, would it make sense to just skip it? In such a low flow sand, it's bound to become full of detritus and gunk. If you just went bare bottom with a decent amount of rubble to make it look good, it would be easier to maintain IMO. 

The food plants will need the sand.  Penicillus does really well, and will send out runners to start new plants if it is in sand.  Same for Udotea and Avrainvillea.  These are the primary plants I will be feeding the guys.  I have thought about using Bryopsis, which does not need sand, but would feel like a total dope if it spread to the main tank.

• 7 months later...

Way overdue update.  The tank has been going since the beginning of the year, and I have learned quite a bit.  

It has been tricky growing plants in a tank without major grazers.  I want to leave the algae for the slugs, but not have the tank choked with filamentous algae and cyanobacteria.  At first, it was pretty furry:

3448_trio.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=519%2C390

Dosing vinegar as a carbon source was a good first step.  The other was a DIY sponge filter made from perforated 1" PVC, a few fittings, an Eheim 1048, and a Hydor Flo.  This keeps things stirred and removes detritus without killing the slugs. ]

2103_Filter.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=512%2C34

2100_filterSurface.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=5

The tank is looking pretty good at this point, and the plants are growing and propagating.

2098_FullTank.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=499%2C

2063_BOS2_floor.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=500%

For now, I am keeping all of the Elysia clarki at work, with this tank being reserved for E. crispata.  They seem to be quite happy in their home.

2092_crispata_udotea.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize

2073_crispata.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=500%2C

Although they are eating a little of everything, they really like Bryopsis, so please let me know if you have an infestation you want to take care of  :happy:

Justin should sacrifice for science and keep growing the bryopsis in his so you'd have a reliable source.  Sheesh, Justin.

Very cool creatures, and interesting setup for sure.

Thanks!  It has been interesting to try to do things a little differently.  The challenges have sometimes been a bummer, but I have learned a lot.

Most beautiful slugs I ever seen man

For a lot of people, that may sound pretty funny.  When I tell people I have tanks with slugs, they don't realize how cool molluscs can be.  I just wish I could get them to lay eggs like the clarki.

Justin should sacrifice for science and keep growing the bryopsis in his so you'd have a reliable source.  Sheesh, Justin.

Bad Justin!  More like Bad Dave for having squandered all those pounds he gave me.  It's funny how hard it can be to grow a pest algae without another pest algae overgrowing it.  

• 5 months later...

I need some slugs for my bryopsis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fairly new here and slowly working through some of the old posts. This is pretty fantastic. How's it going with this setup?

It's looking about the same, except that Ochtodes has been growing like crazy.  Cleaning that out this weekend.  Only one E. crispata left from that batch of three, but she seems to be going strong.  Focusing mostly on the slugs at work for the moment, but I will probably add some more crsipata later in the spring.

If you really want to follow a cool old one look up the continuing saga of the Dave w build or the ctenophore greenhouse build.

Agree.  Too bad they have both scaled back.

Not to take away from morgundas slug tank. It is weird and awesome too.

I will remember that you dissed my tank, and remain bitter forever.

I need some slugs for my bryopsis

May or may not work.  Because they like to wander, any powerheads or propeller pumps not protected by sponges will quickly turn them into slug tartare.  What's it growing on? I may be able to swap clean for infested.

Zoanthids frag plugs. No amount of scrubbing and hydrogen peroxide is working. I only have 1 powerhead, tiny, that could easily be covered... Would it work?

Zoanthids frag plugs. No amount of scrubbing and hydrogen peroxide is working. I only have 1 powerhead, tiny, that could easily be covered... Would it work?

That should be fine.  If the slug finishes off the Bryopsis, I will be happy to buy it from you.  Be certain that it is really Bryopsis, which is nice and feathery, and not some other coarse hair algae.