missing fish again??????

Kevnjeep

Hey guys so I need to ask cause it keeps happening. I have lost 4 fish in a year. By lost I mean here one minute lost the next with absolutely no trace. I can see in and around almost all my rock. I have a completely sealed canopy and overflows. I just don't get it. Any ideas?

I've been sneaking into your house at midnite and taking your fish....

what Kim said- how big/small are your fish? If a tiny goby, then CUC could easily consume them. If a 5" tang, then you have another issue.

I think a lot of dead fish get wedged in the rockwork where you can't see them and the clean up crew eats them up before you notice them missing

120 gallon tank all my parameters areally normal and good. All my coral is good. I started with a picasso clown, 3 cromis and 2 fire fish. Lost 2 cromis and the clown. Than I got a blue dot jaw fish and carpenter wrasse lost both. Than I got 3 ora Blackice, Picasso and platinum. Lost the platinum. I've done extensive searching after each case and haven't seen a single thing except 1 cromis was stuck to my mp40. The rest vanished. All my rock has been moved from a 4 year old tank to my now 1 year old tank. I never got new rock or sand. Need anything else?

No I don't have a lion fish... I have Some a week some some a month eating looking good when I go to work I come home and they are never seen again. Plus what would eat 3 emerald crabs

Emeralds shed and when that happens they can die or hide and never be seen again...

And hermits will eat them if they can get ahold of them...sometimes shrimp can be evil too..

But sounds more like they are dying in a nook or crevice and not being found...

Have you looked in the plumbing, sump, refugium, other connected areas? When I can't find a fish I usually find it in one of those places. In one case it was about 3 months after the fish went missing that I finally discovered it alive, in spite of having already searched for it a few times to no avail, and having given it up for dead.

Edited by treesprite

Then it sounds like the only answer is that they died and got eaten. Only thing left to do is focus on reasons for the deaths; it sounds like they did not all die for the same reasons. Chromis have a tendancy to die for seemingly no reason, which is why I won't get them anymore. If you had emerald crabs of fair size, they could have killed the fish. I had one that would hide in a cave that was just big enough for a fish to squeeze through, so when the fish would go in there, the crab could grab them as easily as picking at the rocks - lost 3 fish that way, then dangled a piece of fish in front of that hole and sure enough, that crab took maybe all of a minute to grab onto it.

Edited by treesprite

When one of your fish die, do you see any changes in the health of your other fish? This could indicate a disease that your fish died from. Any spikes in the ammonia or nitrates? This could indicate actual fish death vs lost fish.

If they are dying shortly after you get them, within 48 hrs, then a couple of possible issues are that the fish are not healthy when you get them

or your acclimation process is insufficient or has errors. Obviously there are other things that could happen but if you consistently lose fish right after adding them I would think about these.

As far as never seeing them again, I don't think thats a big deal. I don't lose a lot of fish but when I do, more often than not I never see a body. They are there and then they are gone. In a big tank with a clean up crew, they can be "cleaned up' pretty quickly. Especially small fish like chromis and clowns.