Zeovit

TrueTricia

I know someone here runs a zeovit system. What are your thoughts? Pros, cons?

Also, do you use a zeovit specific reactor or just a general reactor? I was reading the below article, but wanted to get WAMAS thoughts.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767507
Running NeoZeo in a phosban reactor?

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide which direction to take my tank. I've got a TLF 150 reactor right now that's got some nitrate and phosphate absorbing media in it. I've got a doser coming from ERC. I'm debating between dosing carbon, running biopellets, and switching over to Zeovit.

Edited by truetricia2

Be prepared to spend a lot of money on bluebottles. i've not personally run it but I know that they can all add up.

I know someone here runs a zeovit system. What are your thoughts? Pros, cons?

Also, do you use a zeovit specific reactor or just a general reactor? I was reading the below article, but wanted to get WAMAS thoughts.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767507

Running NeoZeo in a phosban reactor?

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide which direction to take my tank. I've got a TLF 150 reactor right now that's got some nitrate and phosphate absorbing media in it. I've got a doser coming from ERC. I'm debating between dosing carbon, running biopellets, and switching over to Zeovit.

I have a zeovit reactor I'd be willing to sell cheap if you're interested. One of the seals needs to be re-done but I don't think it'd be that difficult. FYI, I didn't use it just got it as part of a full setup purchase.

Zeo can be ran without a reactor, but you will not get the full benefits.  Place stones in mesh bag and shake twice a day.  Zeo is challenging and provides a lot of benefits.  

To get started:

1. Reactor designed for zeo stones.  Stones must be pumped/shaken 1-2 times per day.
  2. Zeolites, also known as stones.  Purchase only approved stones.
  3. Zeo Start3 - carbon food source to include nitrates
  4. ZeoBac - Bacteria to drive the system
  5. Sponge Power - food for micro organisms

The other blue bottles are not required, but can be used to adjust coral colors. 

I have a zeovit reactor I'd be willing to sell cheap if you're interested. One of the seals needs to be re-done but I don't think it'd be that difficult. FYI, I didn't use it just got it as part of a full setup purchase.

I'm not certain which way I'm going. I am currently just inquiring as to people's experiene with Zeovit. I'll let you know if I decide to go that route.

I'm not certain which way I'm going. I am currently just inquiring as to people's experiene with Zeovit. I'll let you know if I decide to go that route.

And thank you! Sometimes my work computer doesn't let me edit...

Zeo can be ran without a reactor, but you will not get the full benefits.  Place stones in mesh bag and shake twice a day.  Zeo is challenging and provides a lot of benefits.  

To get started:

1. Reactor designed for zeo stones.  Stones must be pumped/shaken 1-2 times per day.
  2. Zeolites, also known as stones.  Purchase only approved stones.
  3. Zeo Start3 - carbon food source to include nitrates
  4. ZeoBac - Bacteria to drive the system
  5. Sponge Power - food for micro organisms

The other blue bottles are not required, but can be used to adjust coral colors. 

See I've read that they must be shaken 1x a day to remove the malm (sp?). This is the part that makes me hesitate. I'm automating more and more to avoid having to do things. This seems counterproductive to that goal.

Tony, do you use Zeovit system?

I've also heard of other people using biopellets and dosing with ZeoBac to add a diverse bacteria population.

See I've read that they must be shaken 1x a day to remove the malm (sp?). This is the part that makes me hesitate. I'm automating more and more to avoid having to do things. This seems counterproductive to that goal.

Tony, do you use Zeovit system?

I've also heard of other people using biopellets and dosing with ZeoBac to add a diverse bacteria population.

I used Zeo several years ago.  The system works.

Stones MUST be shaken daily.  Mulm, the bacteria build up, coats the stones and must be released to feed the corals and other organisms.  There are products available that will automate the stone shaking process as well, Avast has a model.

Zeobac can be used with any system.  To achieve a "diverse" level of bacteria, zeobac must be dosed several times a week.   

I would say Tony's post of  " I used Zeo several years ago." should answer your question.

Summary of different posts:

Expensive, works, daily chores, lots of time, and blue bottles.

I would say Tony's post of  " I used Zeo several years ago." should answer your question.

Summary of different posts:

Expensive, works, daily chores, lots of time, and blue bottles.

LOL. I thought the same thing Ken.

Very expensive and complicated.

I would not say that it is complicated. It just requires you to be some what involved with your tank. I run a Zeovit system on my nano 30g. I cant say full Zeovit because i do not have a reactor for my stones, but i put them in a mesh bag in the overflow and shake them twice a day. Not ideal but I feel I'm still getting good enough results from it.

I think that when people say "it costs so much money", it is because they buy every blue bottle that they sell. If you go on the Zeovit forum regularly  you will see people who haven't even finished the zeovit cycle (14 days) and are asking questions like " when can i add Pohls Extra" etc ...You would be surprised on how you can just use the basic four and still have a nice tank.  But granted getting started will have some funds you may not have prepared for.

The biggest thing that I like about the Zeovit system is that it gives my tank a sense of direction, stability, and good husbandry of my tank. It has made me be on a schedule for maintenance which I can always find about 5 minutes or less a day to do.

Do you have to have Zeovit to run an amazing tank? Definitely not. But the results on peoples tanks running the Zeovit system do not lie either.

I'd determine what you want to do with your tank before doing any of those things.

Do you want to grow SPS to do your own frag farm and require hi-speed growth?

Do you want a nice mixed reef to look at and let it grow as nature allows?

Do you want to spend multiple hours of time tweaking things or do you prefer the minimum hour per week plan?

I'd determine what you want to do with your tank before doing any of those things.

Do you want to grow SPS to do your own frag farm and require hi-speed growth?

Do you want a nice mixed reef to look at and let it grow as nature allows?

Do you want to spend multiple hours of time tweaking things or do you prefer the minimum hour per week plan?

Excellent point Rob!

I would like to minimize the time spent doing things on my tank and maximize my time spent just watching it. That being said, I would like moderate coral growth, but I'm not necessarily looking to have the fastest growing SPS/mixed reef tank in the DMV.

All this feedback, summed up by Ken's post, seems to point in the opposite direction of Zeovit.

You can also look into vodka dosing, just set up your dosing pump to a vodka bottle and let it run. No reactor to clean, no media to fill, and don't have to shake it everyday. Just sit back, relax, take a sip of vodka and enjoy your reef .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could just skim heavy and do water changes. Dose calc and alk when needed, and call it a day.

I use part of the Zeo System with a Bio Pellet reactor. I do ZeoBac every third day, Zeostart3, LPS Amino, coral Vitalizer, Pohls Xtra, and sponge power daily. Very happy with results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen Taiscici's reef and what he does works.  It is phenomenal!  I am following his advice (carbon dosing).  Used zeovit before and gave up.  Also tried biopellets and had issues with clumping.  Now I have been carbon dosing for a couple of months and patienty waiting but essentially easy using a brs dosing pump to carbon dose.

I run a Zeo system and enjoy it and don't see it as over the top expensive or too much work.  You can completely make it that depending on how you want to use the system.  It was something different and I was up for the challenge.  If you already spend 10 minutes tinkering with your reef daily you can run the system.  My little bit of advise is if you are already questioning if you would like it, then it isn't for you.  

They way I look at it is if I were to use zeo it would be to keep only sps and achieve the pastel look. I have been using a carbon source but only to control nutrients, not drive them to uln. I like how clear the water stays using a carbon source as well.