Tricia's Reeftastic, Mr. Boombastic 120g

TrueTricia

Ok Ms T ! I like novels but love comics some pics please!

I second this.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i had that tank a few years ago and found it needs alot of circulation at the bottom due to its shape, but a great tank, im a friend of dave willmores and he says you are nice and a seahorse person http://www.seahorseconservancy.org/register-2/ please join our group we are not a nonprofit yet but soon being reviewed for the third time, found a seahorse in the river last week ,we let it go after a week , im friends withh the watermen they find them all the time, we is not me but our group, i cant write our writer is from cnbc

i had that tank a few years ago and found it needs alot of circulation at the bottom due to its shape, but a great tank, im a friend of dave willmores and he says you are nice and a seahorse person http://www.seahorseconservancy.org/register-2/ please join our group we are not a nonprofit yet but soon being reviewed for the third time, found a seahorse in the river last week ,we let it go after a week , im friends withh the watermen they find them all the time, we is not me but our group, i cant write our writer is from cnbc

Hey! Yes I used to rescue some seahorses, mostly some dwarves and a few erectus. We'd find them off the grassbeds in the Keys as well. I'll definitely join the group.

They find them in the rivers up here?

Looking good, still don't know how you keep the water in an upside down tank.

It's magic!

Waiting on an order of somemore two part epoxy to come in, and then I'll finish the other sides of the tank. I'm thinking of building another "mountain" in front of the other overflow, and then using my "pride rock" piece to create a platform in the middle, possibly with a bridge over the top/back. It kind of violates the whole 2/3 rule for aesthetics, but....

Yes, I am struggling with the flow on this. Basically, I have 3 nooks on the back wall, one on each end and one between the overflows. I've got 2 powerheads (can never remember what kind) on the ends, and my RW8 in the middle going all out on speed. All 3 are pointing towards the front of the glass. I'm waiting to finish adjusting them until I'm done with the rock work. But I'm definitely seeing that the end corners are a little stale. I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Maybe move the two end powerheads a bit farther down on the wall to create some suction with the flow, and place the RW8 towards the top of the tank?

Starting to compile a fish list. Thoughts are appreciated :)

Fish I have:

1. 1 x Sailfin Tang "Colors"

2. 1 x One Spot Foxface "Skunk"

3. 2 x Pajama Cardinals "Paola" and "Pam"

Fish I've Got on Order

1. 2 x Lyretail Anthias

2. 1 x Carpenters Wrasse (may go in the 40g)

3. 1 x Niger Trigger

Fish I'm Considering

1. Fathead Anthias

2. Powder Blue or Powder Brown Tang

3. Melanarus Wrasse

4. Dusky Wrasse

5. Copperband Butterfly

6. Mandarin

7. Bangaii Cardinals

8. Hawkfish (Sp TBD)

9. Flasher Wrasse (Sp TBD)

10. Marine beta

At least that is a better fish list then the Reef at the Columbus Zoo. :cool:

Lol. If I thought he would fit, I'd add the Humphead wrasse on the list. Did you see their Pakastani butterfly? Gorgeous!

Lol. If I thought he would fit, I'd add the Humphead wrasse on the list. Did you see their Pakastani butterfly? Gorgeous!

Yea they were pretty. They even had 2 Achilles tangs in the tank!

yes lots of seahorses and two types of pipe fish, they are big, last week my friend Ed found a female bigger then my 3 and a half year old males, we let it go after a few days the video is on a phone at the river, thanks for joining us, 

Love the melanurus and flasher wrasses... Some of my favorite fish!

Blue jaw trigger too?

I'd skip the hawk unless you've already ruled out fish because of your Niger, mine hasn't messed with my shrimp yet,lol

And marine betas are pretty but can be real bullies....

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

So I've added a bunch of stuff to the tank!

Fish

1. Gold Sleeper Head Goby - Andrei (dante)

Invert

1. Coral Banded Coral Shrimp (may have to get moved to the 40g if I go with a trigger)

Corals

1. War Coral - ERC

2. Acan - ERC

3. Appleberry Monti - Supreme Reefs

4. Birds of Paradise - Fazio

5. Rainbow Acro - Fazio

6. Green Acro - Fazio

7. Neon green acro - Andrei

8. Purple stylo - Andrei

9. Birds of Paradise - Andrei

One of the issues I'm having now is with the Goby covering everything in sand. Andrei warned me he would do that. But he's amusing and my boyfriend loves him (although he has a sick humor and tends to laugh at the things that make others struggle). My cyphastrea in particular isn't happy with this new fish, and the acans are constantly getting sand in their mouths.

I'm also currently debating on my new lighting plan. I own a 48 inch dual bulb fixture. I'm currently borrowing a light fixture. It's a 48 inch 4-bulb T5 fixture. My dilemma is this. I can keep the 4 bulb T5 fixture and pay the owner for it. This would result in a total of 6 bulbs over my tank. Or I have the option of buying two 24 inch T5/MH combo. Each fixture woudl have 4 T5 bulbs plus a MH bulb. In both cases, I get a grand total of light from 6 T5 bulbs spannign the 48 inches. I just also get 2 MH bulbs with one option.

I've never owned MH. I'm not sure about the electricity costs, etc. But going wtih the 24 inch fixtures, I'm going to have to replace 8 24-inch bulbs and 2 48-inch bulbs every year, plus 2 MH bulbs. With the straight T5 fixture, I replace 6 48-inch T5 bulbs every year.

Anyone have thoughts on pros, cons, etc?

Edited by truetricia2

• 4 weeks later...

So Kevin and I decided to use our snow day to build doors for our stand. So after an early trip to Home Depot, we got started. Here's how it looked before. ...

20150221_112639_zpsjaofzt7p.jpg

So we cut the wood, added trim to the cut edges, and stained it.

20150221_164930_zpsouar7jpu.jpg

20150221_164941_zpsylxcqlnf.jpg

And then we touched up the tank stand and rubbed it down with the stain. We also taped off the tank and added the stain to the edge trim.

20150221_165016_zpsd0kq1td7.jpg

So here's how it looks all together.

20150221_165037_zps9womxvyh.jpg

aquarium7043.png

Edited by truetricia2