Looking for used DI resin

DaveS

Anyone got any used DI resin they are interested in getting rid of?  I'm going to a separated bed design for my water filter system.  Figured I may as well separate it myself and recharge at the same time.  

Looking to do it this weekend so if you are near me in the Reston/Tysons/Sterling area, I could probably stop by.  If you aren't near me but have a lot, I may be up for driving out too.  Otherwise we could arrange a pickup next time I'm in your area or I can get it from you at the next meet. 

Guess I'm just to see how much spend media we have floating around in WAMAS land.

I guess if someone wants to try it with me this weekend I may be open to some company as I play chemist.

Just speaking from my experience replacing di resin in canisters in the past... Those little beads are a big pain and stick to everything via the surface tension of the water on them. It makes a big enough mess when i get them out of their container that I get rid of them pretty quickly in the cleanup.

If you want to do this long term you could have an open call for used resin and I would save it and drop off quarterly at the meetings, and I bet others would too.

DaveS, I have just about burned through mine again (also need to replace my filters). Let me know how you want to do it. It has lost all of it's color, but my TDS is still showing 0, so don't know how much time I have. just made 300 350+/- galls, don't know how long it is suppose to last.

DaveS, I have just about burned through mine again (also need to replace my filters). Let me know how you want to do it. It has lost all of it's color, but my TDS is still showing 0, so don't know how much time I have. just made 300 350+/- galls, don't know how long it is suppose to last.

Ken...the color change is just a guide. The TDS reading is what tells you to change or not change. Your resin is fine.

Ken...the color change is just a guide. The TDS reading is what tells you to change or not change. Your resin is fine.

Ok, thanks Jack....then DaveS no you can't have my resin! :tongue:  You can have it when it does not work. :laugh:

Dave, I was contemplating the same thing and have a stash of it in my basement (what is left after Cole threw it all over the place). Remind me when you pick up the pallet jack. I never got around to separating it and regenerating it but figure I will eventually. I think I probably have about a gallon or so which should easily fill a couple of 20" canisters if that is what you are doing. Let me know how it goes, I have always wanted to switch to cation/anion filtration but it seems like very few use this, probably because of the hassles of regenerating the resins and the useful life before regeneration is required. I remember thinking I would buy some of those car wash filters that they were selling in TV awhile back but they only were good for about 50 gallons each one and I wasn't sure if it was just a single DI cartridge or if there was also some carbon on there.

Thanks Dave and Rob.  I'll stop by today and, along with what I saved up, should give me a large enough batch to make it worth the effort.

Alan, good idea on doing a quarterly meeting drop off.  Although if I'm regenerating it, I probably won't need more after I have accumulated enough.  Let's see how this all goes!

Ken, Jack is right, like so many other color changing replacement indicators out there, it often tells you to change before you really need.  Getting a TDS meter is the best way to know when the DI really needs to be swapped. 

However, as soon as it stops reading zero, you really need to swap it.  The 1-2 TDS coming out of exhausted DI isn't just stuff from the RO membrane that didn't get absorbed by expended resin.  It's actually the WORST of the previously absorbed stuff.  The the DI resin releases that when it continues to absorb the less bad stuff coming in.

Dave, pick up Tom's and Justin's and regenerate it for me when you do yours!

I'm gonna see how this first attempt goes before I end up multiple buckets of spent DI!

Dave, let me know how it goes. The stuff I have has already been separated into anion and cation resins. I was out and about a lot today but I'll be in Sterling for a short time tomorrow morning.

Dave, let me know how it goes. The stuff I have has already been separated into anion and cation resins. I was out and about a lot today but I'll be in Sterling for a short time tomorrow morning.

Hmmm, pre-seperated resin almost delivered to my door.  Sooo tempting....  Can you shoot me text with how late you'll be in the area?