DSLR's on Black Friday

Ryan S

I think my next camera is going to be a mirrorless camera. I've been eyeing the Fuji E-X2 for a while and thinking about letting my Canon gear go. I haven't put them in my hands yet but one of the advantages is they seem to be smaller than a traditional SLR setup.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly considered the Fuji line, in particular the XT1. However, I didn't like the fact that the image stabilization is in the lenses, and the Fuji macro has no IS built into it. In the end, I went Olympus EM1, and I couldn't be happier.

--

Warren

I have a Mac and use aperture. Don't know if they still make it. I also have Adobe Photoshop but that's a bit overkill for someone using it just for a hobby. I haven't used Lightroom but have heard good things about it. They say it's similar to aperture and can do mass edits easier.

I use paint.net for most of my editing chores. I'm not really doing much though. This is a free program btw.

I use Lightroom and have the full version of photoshop. Lightroom is more than enough. You can also use capture nx that came with the camera.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I use Photoshop professionally for work on a daily basis, and both Photoshop and Lightroom from the hobby perspective. (And also Illustrator.)

Photoshop is IMO quite a bit harder to learn. It's better for turning photographs into artistic compositions. I have no idea what Photoshop Elements entails. I've only ever used the full version.

Lightroom is very powerful and you can still make your photographs look strikingly different... but they're still going to look like photographs. It's specifically geared towards photos, whereas Photoshop covers a wide range of styles and tools. I use Lightroom for most of my DSLR photography. (It also helps you organize your photos.)

Masking is much better in Photoshop, but the retouching in Lightroom is still pretty good.

Hi Ryan,

Excellent choice! I got the same camera recently as well, and like it a lot.  Definitely a nice upgrade coming from an old D60.

As others have stated I would recommend Adobe Lightroom 5.  Easy to use, and will help organize your photos.

Visit www.kenrockwell.com for great tips on using your 3300.  He has a really good guide on there!

A couple photos of fish from my tank with the new toy -

15893432006_74e8d7e30f_z.jpg

15893432146_b1338b035b_z.jpg

Both taken with the D3300 and a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens.

Edited by Orion

Thanks all.  I'll go ahead and get Lightroom!  (and a book on how to use it!)

Orion - I also ordered the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens, since I heard so many good things about it.  (It sounds like many (most?) D3300 users primarily use that lens over the 18-55mm stock lens.

Thanks all. I'll go ahead and get Lightroom! (and a book on how to use it!)

Orion - I also ordered the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens, since I heard so many good things about it. (It sounds like many (most?) D3300 users primarily use that lens over the 18-55mm stock lens.

I bought the same camera Friday as well! I downloaded the 30 day Lightroom trial from Adobe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I'll go ahead and get Lightroom! (and a book on how to use it!)

Orion - I also ordered the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens, since I heard so many good things about it. (It sounds like many (most?) D3300 users primarily use that lens over the 18-55mm stock lens.

In my opinion I think the stock lens is really really good. Although I have found using a fixed focal length lens (the 35mm) forces you to really think about what/how you are photographing since its up to you to move your feet for zoom.

For photographing your kids in a low light room with no flash nothing else beats that 35mm for $200.

Be sure to read Ken Rockwell's guide on the D3300. He has a bunch of setting recommendations for it, and they work really really well!

We are very interested in portraits of our baby, do you think the 35mm will hold its own in a house with so-so lighting, or would it be a worthwhile investment to get something like this for $50?

http://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Photography-Portrait-Umbrella-Continuous-Lighting/dp/B005FHZ2SI/ref=lp_3347871_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1417454198&sr=1-2

I am reading Ken's guide.  He is very "everything works great on automatic" though.  Which it might very well, but I'd like to learn how to use manual settings for even better pictures.  He also recommends shooting in JPEG BASIC, and everywhere else I've read says to shoot in RAW, especially if you're using software like lightroom.  But otherwise, I'm learning a lot for sure!

Do you use filters, like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-52mm-UV-Protection-Filter/dp/B00004ZCJG/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_y

I don't have any yet, and I'm getting mixed signals online. It seems like half of the people use them and half don't.

50mm is considered the portrait lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766516-USA/Nikon_2199_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_8G.html

There is also the 1.4 but the premium is not worth it.

UV filters are more used for protecting your lens then anything else. Regardless of which filter, you should put a filter on the lens and not shoot w/o one. Replacing a filter is much cheaper than glass.

Shoot in JPEG+RAW until you get the hang of it. Shooting in RAW needs post processing because it assumes that. Pictures will be flat if not touched up. If you shoot in JPEG, you can still do some touch ups but every time you do something, it degrades the compressed file. A RAW file can be manipulated w/o fear of degradation. Then you will export to JPEG (of TIFF if needed) to print or post online.

We are very interested in portraits of our baby, do you think the 35mm will hold its own in a house with so-so lighting, or would it be a worthwhile investment to get something like this for $50?

http://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Photography-Portrait-Umbrella-Continuous-Lighting/dp/B005FHZ2SI/ref=lp_3347871_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1417454198&sr=1-2

I am reading Ken's guide.  He is very "everything works great on automatic" though.  Which it might very well, but I'd like to learn how to use manual settings for even better pictures.  He also recommends shooting in JPEG BASIC, and everywhere else I've read says to shoot in RAW, especially if you're using software like lightroom.  But otherwise, I'm learning a lot for sure!

Do you use filters, like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-52mm-UV-Protection-Filter/dp/B00004ZCJG/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_y

I don't have any yet, and I'm getting mixed signals online. It seems like half of the people use them and half don't.

Try the 35mm and see how it goes for portraits. Then go from there.  Personally, I would stick with one lens for awhile just to get the hang of it.  

I believe Ken recommends P* mode over M, A, etc with ISO-Auto ON, and I shoot the same way now. There really is no reason to try and mess with ISO settings. The camera is smart enough to figure it out for you. I also use JPEG BASIC. RAW just takes up way too much space on my drive, and it is time consuming trying to organize pictures that are shot in RAW and then converted to JPEG.  

The only filters I use are UV filters to protect the lens.  

Start posting some shots! :)

Great shot!

I picked up the D7000 this weekend....still trying to get the hang of it....  

I originally was going for the dc3200 but there was a photographer in the store and recommended the 7000. He also recommended shooting both raw and jpeg. I found it so easy to revert back if needed when editing. Pick up a 3 tb usb for 80$ to transfer images to. Also recommended froknowsphoto.com videos. Also said to put in A mode to help learn technics in changing apertures.

Agreed w/ the above, Aperture priority is the mode to be in to learn. If you shoot in P mode, you mind as well buy a point and shoot. ISO is important to learn as it helps you shoot in low light situations. A high ISO will allow you to shoot at a slower shutter speed. The draw back is noise which will usually not be noticeable and can be corrected in Lightroom. If it was, the higher end DSLR's would not allow you to go up to a zillion ISO (exaggerating of course).

D7000 is a nice purchase...