Brad's Mangrove Sanctuary

brad908

I was thinking rock surrounding the mangrove box, sand on the bottom.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking rock surrounding the mangrove box, sand on the bottom.

Thought that was gonna look a little too unnatural. I'm gonna stuff rocks into the hillside

Thought that was gonna look a little too unnatural. I'm gonna stuff rocks into the hillside

If anybody can make it happen it will be you. If you put the rock in, then the water, perhaps the sand will fill in and around the rock?

(edited)

If anybody can make it happen it will be you. If you put the rock in, then the water, perhaps the sand will fill in and around the rock?

fts020214_zpsc9cab705.jpg

Kinda like that rock on the right I did in the planted tank. But scattered throughout the slope

Edited by brad908

I'm thinking bigger rocks, more visible and dramatic. I'm sure it will look great either way.

I'm thinking bigger rocks, more visible and dramatic. I'm sure it will look great either way.

I think you will like the new scape

Pics?

Just starting to clear up now

EB9236DF-7D4D-44C0-B088-D536B359048F_zps

B701D30D-DC5A-4643-8173-17D093A31FDF_zps

I was just spraying super glue everywhere and throwing rocks and sand at it. Later tonight or tomorrow once the water is fully clear, I'm gonna epoxy some rocks to fill spots in

Yup, you are correct, I do enjoy it. I like the idea of a few more rocks.

Lookin good. Id love to do something like this on a bigger scale with the same minimal approach one day.

I like that a lot... looks natural to me

+1

Thanks!

Now fish...a fuzzy dwarf lion, or a bunch of gobies?

man looks great....really like the sand mound with some on top look....could see that as a pic in the wild.

id say gobies for movement and color....but lionfish could be cool against the painting above....just dont release it in the wild haha...i hear they made it up the potomoac (haha not really but) so last thing we need is a west coast invasion.

Little bit better pics. Haven't made the adjustments yet

Coming along really nicely! I think this is going to turn out quite well once everything settles - good work and great progress!

Took a few quick snaps. Looking forward to the weekend when I can get some natural light snaps. We are supposed to get the "storm of the decade" tonight and into tomorrow. But I don't buy into Californian weather hype. They already closed all the schools in San Francisco.

63D20FD8-E976-473D-8476-69F3FFB6D08F_zps

1B89C962-CDBF-455B-A749-A697ACD9C419_zps

EA600AA1-92F4-4C87-A6B7-8301F886C669_zps

017CEF6C-546D-403F-9C6E-7801241D8F77_zps

Have to paint the stand cover still

Looking good, maybe another rock in the left corner and the corner in the center where you can still see the glass? IMO

Are your mangroves ok? They look a little droopy. Where are you suppose to keep the water level on them? I don't know so I am asking.

Looking good, maybe another rock in the left corner and the corner in the center where you can still see the glass? IMO

Are your mangroves ok? They look a little droopy. Where are you suppose to keep the water level on them? I don't know so I am asking.

Yea, I still haven't gone back yet to patch up the missing spots around the inner cube.

The mangroves are recovering. I didn't buy a timer when I was out of town for 2 weeks, so they weren't getting proper lighting.

Did you insert any fertilizers in the sand where the roots are buried?  It seems like they're in their own box there in the corner which won't get a lot of water circulating through it, so where a mangrove with exposed roots will, I assume, be able to pull whatever nutrients from the water, the ones down in that glass box won't get much flow through the sand bringing new nutrients.  Or maybe mangroves can absorb nutrients through the stems as well?

Did you insert any fertilizers in the sand where the roots are buried?  It seems like they're in their own box there in the corner which won't get a lot of water circulating through it, so where a mangrove with exposed roots will, I assume, be able to pull whatever nutrients from the water, the ones down in that glass box won't get much flow through the sand bringing new nutrients.  Or maybe mangroves can absorb nutrients through the stems as well?

There is live mud in the cube. And since the roots are restricted inside the cube, they will eventually start being forced upwards.

I have started a separate grow of one mangrove plant that I will be regularly trimming/shaping, in hopes to eventually replace the mangroves in the tank. I am aiming for a nice canopy with a great root system

red-mangrove-tree-florida-keys.jpg

Red_mangrove_2.jpg

stock-photo-mangrove-plant-in-sea-shore-

Nice.  This will look really cool.  I wish you luck with algae on the tank glass and sand while putting all that day light into growing the mangroves.  If anyone can stay on top of it, you can.