Gyrate the Gyre

ridetheducati

Tony- I saw one this weekend at the social at Incredible Corals.......WOW....

They stuck it in a  4' x4' +/- frag tank (vertically in the corner) that already had 3 power heads in it. They turned it on and produced a huge detritus cloud out of crystal clear water. It was only run at (I think) 40-70% and the acrylic look down view finder (1' x 1'+/-) that is used to look at corals from above started spinning in the center of the tank because of the current.

I think it almost started a whirlpool!

Needless to say it moves water.

I still can't figure out if it is reversible.  Can you create alternating 6-8hour gyres with the controller, or do you need to buy two pumps?  If the latter, do the controllers know how to turn one side on and the other off?  I'm considering using these on my tank, but I'll need a minimum of 3 per side unless they are reversible.

I still can't figure out if it is reversible.  Can you create alternating 6-8hour gyres with the controller, or do you need to buy two pumps?  If the latter, do the controllers know how to turn one side on and the other off?  I'm considering using these on my tank, but I'll need a minimum of 3 per side unless they are reversible.

As of now I do not believe the pumps can be connected like the MP's can, but I think with the advanced controller (coming soon?) will be able to do that. There is a lot of info in here- http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/maxspect/161196-maxspect-riptide.html , just have to sift through 30+ pages =X And I think you would need 2 pumps for alternating gyres because if I remember correctly you need to physically turn the rotors/cages/things in the pump to make it flow the other way.

We added one to our display and love how much less real estate it takes up versus and standard powerhead. The water movement in ever corner of the tank is nuts and it stirred up so much junk that that wp60 never touched. So far extremely impressed!

I still can't figure out if it is reversible. Can you create alternating 6-8hour gyres with the controller, or do you need to buy two pumps? If the latter, do the controllers know how to turn one side on and the other off? I'm considering using these on my tank, but I'll need a minimum of 3 per side unless they are reversible.

According to the user guide a single Gyre pump is capable of creating alternating Gyre's. I'll be receiving my pump later this week when I get back from a trip, and be sure to upload videos and pictures.

Here are some screen shots of the user guide explaining how to use the alternating gyre mode. CoralVue is expected to release a video demonstrating this capability shortly.

9a23c6b6ce9cf7f003212bcb69c6bcb5.jpg

6a1c4077df22b4cfa091983760637a56.jpg

1c22c24f0a21e7c8ea7218a3e25cfc76.jpg

As I understand the process, the pump will run in reverse, technically creating a reverse flow; however, flow is minimal and weak compared to forward flow rates. IMHO, one Gyre does not replace two, <insert your favorite powerhead here>; therefore, two Gyres are needed to effectively stir the pot.  On the other hand, I would consider vertically mounting one Gyre on the back glass and continue to run my Tunzes.

Not to go off topic, but who else is wondering what is next?  I mean, Vortech or another company (Avast??) might have something in development that blows this away...what amazing times we live in!

On the back of the glass is what I was thinking for my system - keep the MP40's on the sides and a Maxspect on the back glass... nothing is safe!

I think I am waiting for the 170 Gyre's , the big boys to come out in the 1QT15.

I am going to put one on each end mounted horizontally and move the water across the top and let it pull across the bottom coming back to hopefully stir up as little sand as possible.

Edited by DuffyGeos

We added one to our display and love how much less real estate it takes up versus and standard powerhead. The water movement in ever corner of the tank is nuts and it stirred up so much junk that that wp60 never touched. So far extremely impressed!

So if I can assume that if you have Gyre pumps on for a while, that when you install Mp60's, then they'll pull the detritus out that the Gyre's missed....?

Rob, this time I think you're on point....any water moving device that may have stagnant areas will accumulate detritus...and of course adding something that had a completely different flow will do just what we saw...

But the thinking behind the gyre is it covers more area... So less stagnant/accumulation of detritus...

So...rob was right,,,,,for once,,,,,

There, I said it!

Rob, this time I think you're on point....any water moving device that may have stagnant areas will accumulate detritus...and of course adding something that had a completely different flow will do just what we saw...

But the thinking behind the gyre is it covers more area... So less stagnant/accumulation of detritus...

So...rob was right,,,,,for once,,,,,

There, I said it!

I believe you've said it a few times....

Marketing hype can only take a product so far into the real world. Testimonials and bandwagon approaches are great tools, but only constant use and consistent customer service will make this (or any) product last.

I think the difference with the Gyre, from what I saw, is that ALL the water was moving around the tank to the point it was spinning the 1' x 1' acrylic lookdown in the center. Any propeller driven power head moves water, but only so far.

I like the idea of it, moving more water with less stuff messing up my view..but I'm also going to have to wait till its been out a year or two...kinks all worked out...and price a little more reasonable....

Impossible that it will move all of the water when rocks are in place. There's simply no water motion device that can do that.

The same test could be run with half a dozen different powerheads and the results would be some variant of the above.

A wise man once said, "Dont believe the hype".  Those in hobby for a couple years fully understand the capabilities of power heads of all types.  "Virtually no dead spots" means there will be some dead spots, minimize the drag of live rock and corals to improve tank flow.  I intend on purchasing two of the smaller 35w units and sync them with the new Apex ready controller.

For some, maintenance may become a problem as the pumps have small parts that require periodic cleaning.  

Is it real or Memorex?

A Coralvue rep indicated that the new controller may be Apex friendly. I am sure the community will devise a mechanism to ensure it works with Apex.

I'm trying to get my hands on one to experiment. I'm sure I can get an apex driving it without a special controller.