New to the hobby

VADavid

So I just joined WAMAS.  Hello to everyone.  I just wanted to introduce myself.

Growing up I've always had a fish tank (freshwater).  I've always enjoyed keeping fish and plants, there was always a draw to it.  My love of aquariums was put on hold when I went to college, then marriage, then kids.  My kids are finally old enough to where they don't need my constant attention and I have a few bucks to spend.

So I said to myself, keeping aquariums always made you happy, lets start a reef aquarium (in my mind seemed like the most challenging aquarium to keep).  So here I am 6 months into it, pure love for my slice of the ocean.  

This is what I have:

-Innovative Marine 38g

-x1 Hydor Slim Skim Nano

-30 pounds dry rock (BRS)

-10 pounds of fiji live sand

-x1 powerhead (forget the flow/brand)

-x1 Innovative Marine 24" Skkyelight Dimmable Dual LED Strip 26 Watts

-x1 300 watt heater

-I set up a refugium in one of the chambers in the back with Chaeto (growing well and reduced my nitrates :) )

Livestock:

-x1 red zoo (they never all seem to be opened at one time)

-x1 pulsing xenia (growing like crazy)

-x1 purple xenia (growing like crazy)

-x1 Neon green favia (alive but no growth)

-x1 Neon green star polyp (growing slowly, but healthy)

-x1 Green bubble tip anemone (just got it, hiding in the back, what a punk)

About a month ago I had an Ick outbreak that killed all my fish except for x1 O Clown that I saved and put into a QT tank.  I learned my lesson and I plan on QT'ing every fish I buy going forward.  Lesson learned.

Any advice on my tank or livestock I would appreciate.  Or just words of wisdom.  I look forward to learning more and getting to know the community.  

Regards,

David

Welcome, I recently joined in the beginning of September.

This was the best move I could have made for just entering the hobby - the amount of knowledge and projects going around this association is awesome!

P.s... How do you like your skimmer? I'm tired of my air stone powered biocube skimmer for my 20gallon nano tank.

And where are you located?

Edited by Kkober

I really like the skimmer, works well, quiet, and a good price. I'm in Brambleton.

Now my new dilemma is do I get a bigger tank :) or do I wait and master what I have first.

Wait until you have mastered your small tank. It typically takes about a year for a tank to become fully established.

For now you need to run your tank fallow for 12 weeks to kill off any remaining ich in the tank.

Welcome! Enjoy your current tank while you are planning the next. Just figuring out a direction takes awhile. There is a big difference between equipment for a fish only and sps tank. Plus, it takes awhile to gather gear.

Welcome!

Welcome! or as Isaac usually says  "if you don't post pictures - it didn't happen...we like pictures!"

But we really do like pictures, looks like you have a great start!

I really like the skimmer, works well, quiet, and a good price. I'm in Brambleton.

Now my new dilemma is do I get a bigger tank :) or do I wait and master what I have first.

BIGGER TANK, BIGGER TANK, BIGGER TANK!

Welcome!! Just go ahead and get a bigger tank, I stared with a 60 gallons and 3 month later i had a 120 and still do. Nice tank!

Now we are talking! 

Looks good, I like the open space. The only thing I see is that it would be hard to clean the glass on the sides where the rock touches the glass.

I like your rock layout.

Yeah I only clean the front completely. The side I only clean where I can. I like the full look. Thanks for compliment s. Im planning on finishing my basement this year so into the plans a 200 g reef tank. We will see.

Hello from one Virginia David to another.  

First, be careful about planning a 200 gallon upgrade into your unfinished basement, pretty soon you'll be another DuffyGeos and it will expand into an all encompassing work of art.  Then you'll never be able to get out of the hobby.  I should know, I started a tank construction 3 or 4 years ago and it still isn't done.

Second, your livestock list shows remarkable restraint for a newcomer.  Congratulations.  It looks like you're going slow and easy without filling the tank with too much stuff and you're starting with easy beginner items.  You will be a good reefkeeper.

Third, please give your wife warning that this passion will probably blossom out of control and that she and the kids will still be first priority.  Although she will wonder when you turn over in your sleep and say "if I put that in the sump it will increase D.O. and keep the pH from dropping at night!".  

That's it, consider yourself forewarned.  Happy reefkeeping, this is a generous bunch of people in WAMAS.

Dave, thanks for the kinds words. I'm trying my best to restrain myself. Lol. I've always wanted to do a large salt tank so now I have two things back, my time and money. :)

I'm lucky now with my wife. When we first started dating I had a 300 gallon African cichlid pond in my room. So she always known fish keeping is my thing.

I'm gonna have to start a new thread to ask everyone to post there basement builds.

You need to spend some time going through the WAMAS website. There are many different sections that can answer many questions. You can also search key words.

Here is a quick read if you have a minute:

http://wamas.org/forums/forum/77-dedicated-tank-build-forum/

It only has a couple hundred builds going back to 2005 :tongue:

Welcome! It looks like you are off to a great start!

I would be careful with that big 300w heater for your water volume. If you have a separate temp controller then you are safer than relying on just the heaters internal thermostat switch. 

If the internal thermostat sticks "on" it will heat that tank up fast! I had my old 125 hit 91 degrees with a 300w heater a couple years ago. Some people like to use a couple of lower watt heaters so that if any one of them sticks on it's not necessarily enough to overheat the tank.  

Im immune to the wife. I sold my 69 Bronco for the money and space so she can't say anything. :)

Very funny.  It never hurts to have a "get out of jail free" card in your pocket just in case you land on the wrong space.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome! It looks like you are off to a great start!

I would be careful with that big 300w heater for your water volume. If you have a separate temp controller then you are safer than relying on just the heaters internal thermostat switch. 

If the internal thermostat sticks "on" it will heat that tank up fast! I had my old 125 hit 91 degrees with a 300w heater a couple years ago. Some people like to use a couple of lower watt heaters so that if any one of them sticks on it's not necessarily enough to overheat the tank.  

I'm a newbie at reef (be doing alot of reading/my reef tank is a few months in), but have long term freshwater experience. The estimate I have read in many places is 2-3 watts per gallon, and two smaller are better than one large if the situation permits.  38g could be accommodate with 80-120 watts.  Probably i'd put a single 100w in and call it good.  You could save the 300w as a backup heater your 100w dies.  The other thing i've read is there is a wide variation on temperatures that are fine, but large temperature swings are really the "bad". 

Why? -> People prefer the lower wattage because it provides more of an opportunity to fix a mistake or problem.    If you mistakenly dislodge the external thermostat (if it has one), or mis-adjust it somehow, or if it sticks and keeps heating, it will provide you much more time to discover the problem and fix it.  Especially if your not home when it initially occurs.

I have a 27g qt tank, i'm running a 100w titantium heater (viaAqua) no problems keeping it correct temperature.  I also have a 93g tank with 30g sump ~110g water with 2x100w (in my sump) and no problem keeping it correct temp.  Most of the time my apex has them turned off.  Basically i have 3x as much water and 2/3s the heater wattage.

I actually own a 300w heater also, but I keep it in a 50g garbage can (mixing vat) in my garage for mixing saltwater.  It makes water changes alot easier if the temperature of the water matches my tank.  It heats the water super fast so its convenient.  (I also have a small powerhead hanging in the vat circulating the water so i can mix salt and have it dissolve more rapidly).  Before I put powerhead in the mixing vat i would see salt on bottom even a week later, and have to stir it up by hand.  Now it seems like a few hours later most of the salt is not visible (but i still wait 48 hours+ before I use it).  I'm just saying there are other good uses for that large heater of yours.

Anyways just a second on a recommendation on a smaller heater.

Welcome!

-Nathan