Issues with IORC

tom39

So I have been having a few issues with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (IORC) and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue also.

When I mix a batch of water I have noticed that the Alkalinity (KH) is low. By low I mean, below what my test kit is able to detect. My guess is about 4.0-4.1 dkh. I derived this value by adding 2-part soda ash to bring up the dkh and then using the value of the amount of 2-part dosed and the value of dkh after dosing, to reverse calculate the starting value.

Anyway, I called Instant Ocean about this and their first response is that I am mixing it wrong and precipitating the KH out. When asked to explain my mixing procedures they say, well that is how our salt expert says to do it, let me ask her if there are any other possibilities. The only variable with my mixing procedure that they have issue with is that my water temp is a few degrees below what they recommend. They recommend having the water at 78* when you add the salt and my water temp is about 72-74*.

Lastly, one odd thing that I have noticed when I mix is that even after the salt is mixed for 24hrs there remains a white grit on the bottom of the mixing bin. Not much, but about 2-3 tbs for a 20 gallon mixed batch of water. 

Anyone else have this problem? If so, I would appreciate your insight and response and what you have done to remedy the problem.

Thanks,

Tom G

Definitely cross check your test kit. The procedure to back into your starting alkalinity from a final point after dosing will not yield sensible results if the test kit is reading low.

I've read that salt manufacturers sometimes recommend mixing the salt mix first before using it just in case some settling has occured of the different components. Personally, I mix in large enough batches that I never do this, so I've not got a strong opinion one way or another.

Another possible problem is that the salt has been exposed to excessive humidity and has begun to precipitate out cacium and alkalinity. This could be the case if the salt was not sealed and improperly stored.

A few degrees in mixing temperature shouldn't be a big deal. But you may want to make sure that you're adding salt to the water kind of slowly so it dissolves completely before settling to the bottom. This keeps salt mix from developing a highly concentrated area at the bottom where precipitation is more likely to occur. I normally avoid this by creating strong flow to keep the salt particles suspended as they dissolve. 

I use a 32 gallon brute with a mag18 in it. I can dump half a 50gallon bag of salt in it all at once and the mag18 does its job mixing and heating the water. I had issues with improperly stored salt a couple of times and i would assumes thats the culprit as well.

At first I thought it was my test kit. My test kit for kh is Red Sea but I have had it or almost a year so I went out and bought new regent but got the same results. But to be absolutely sure I bought a salfert test kit and got similar results. I even considered purchasing a Hanna checker but thought I would post before spending another $50.

As for age of the salt, I got it from a friend that got out of the hobby a few years back. Both boxes were never opened and was stored in his finished basement. The salt in the bags is not entirely dry though, even though the bags were never opened. The salt is not clumped but does not flow dry out of the bag. So Origami, I think that you are correct in your thinking that excessive humidity was absorbed even tough it was in a climate controlled basement.

Now I guess my question us, is this harmful to use? Or can I add supplemental additives before using it, to bring it up to an acceptable level without causing harm to my tank tenants? I only have enough  mix for 300g so in a few months none of this will be an issue.

Thanks everyone for all the help and shared experience,

Tom G

At first I thought it was my test kit. My test kit for kh is Red Sea but I have had it or almost a year so I went out and bought new regent but got the same results. But to be absolutely sure I bought a salfert test kit and got similar results. I even considered purchasing a Hanna checker but thought I would post before spending another $50.

As for age of the salt, I got it from a friend that got out of the hobby a few years back. Both boxes were never opened and was stored in his finished basement. The salt in the bags is not entirely dry though, even though the bags were never opened. The salt is not clumped but does not flow dry out of the bag. So Origami, I think that you are correct in your thinking that excessive humidity was absorbed even tough it was in a climate controlled basement.

Now I guess my question us, is this harmful to use? Or can I add supplemental additives before using it, to bring it up to an acceptable level without causing harm to my tank tenants? I only have enough  mix for 300g so in a few months none of this will be an issue.

Thanks everyone for all the help and shared experience,

Tom G

Tom, sorry for the delay. I had a lot going on in the last week.

So I think that you have an idea of why it comes up low. Check your calcium and magnesium, too, to understand what you need to do to use it. You can use it without harm and supplement where needed. I've done so myself. This is just one of the pitfalls of keeping salt on hand for a long time. Those plastic bags can sometimes get a small leak in them and, over many months of storage, the quality of the mix can deteriiorate.

Easy way to tell if moisture got in the bags- if the plastic is clear and supple, then it's dry. If the plastic is harder and has begun to yellow, then it's gotten water in the bag.

This is why I like to buy 5g buckets that re-seal