Bulkheads, and off sizes

YHSublime

I've got 2.5" holes already drilled into the tank, and all sources say that bulkheads should be 1.5" for that size hole (sch 40.) A sch 80 bulkhead (1.5") is designed for a 2 5/8" hole. Can anybody with experience confirm or deny if they have put a sch 80 1.5" bulkhead into a 2.5" hole, or am I stuck using the sch 40 and having the extra space?

According to this.. the hole for sch 80 is 2 9/16" and for sch 40 its 2 3/8" so the question is are you sure it's exactly 2.5" less than 1/8" of an inch either way would make the difference :)

Wonder if you could use a small diamond file to expand it slightly :) If you're really 1/16" off, you'd only need to shave off 1/32" all around :)

Wonder if you could use a small diamond file to expand it slightly :) If you're really 1/16" off, you'd only need to shave off 1/32" all around :)

I would feel safer with sch 80, but I think that shaving it down is a must, my gut says no brand will fit in a 2.5". Post #14 suggests the same thing about shaving off the 1/32 as you did above. I'm not sure how much confidence I have in my ability to make that happen.

It should be pretty easy. Much easier than drilling. If you want the 80 i think thats your only choice...

http://www.suntekstore.com/goods.php?id=14005428&utm_source=gbus&utm_medium=paid

I want it all. And the 80. Without having to file it down. <sigh>

What's the point of going with Sched 80 if the tank is going to be against the wall? S80 is typically used in high traffic areas or where pipe fittings are exposed. S40 is strong enough for your purpose. Are you then going to use S40 pipe after the bulkhead? If so, what's the point?

What's the point of going with Sched 80 if the tank is going to be against the wall?

I hear that schedule 40 has possibility to crack, schedule 80 nothing reported.

S40 is strong enough for your purpose.

See above.

Are you then going to use S40 pipe after the bulkhead?

I planned on using schedule 80 all the way.

Using a dremel with a round diamond Sander bit should be pretty easy to upset is shave it down. Sch. 40 bulkhead crack when people over tighten them, so just hand tight with a quarter turn afterwards or sand it down. Since he bulkhead are easy to replace, being in an overflow, I agree with Rob. Either way it's pretty simple.

Also, schedule 40 in the same size is actually a larger interior space.  The walls on the schedule 80 decrease the pipes interior space.

I realize "interior space" is not the proper term, but I think you understand.

Just go with schedule 40.

The only reason it was up for debate in my mind was I've never heard of a sch 80 bulkhead crack. I have heard of a sch 40 bulkhead crack. I'm trying to mitigate my risk, in many departments.

Jack is also correct, I do like the look, and I am willing to pay for it. I'm all about easy, so if the consensus is sch 40 is fine and dandy, I won't fight it

I've seen numerous cracked S80 parts in my travels as commercial repairman and some used on home systems. You hear more about S40 cracking because it's used ten times as much as S80. 

An S40 1.5" bulkhead is pretty durable and you're not going to be able to crack it even if you try unless you hit it with a hammer.

Stick with the easy stuff and don't let monkeys swing on the drain pipes.