Super loud MP10es

MrSexyShrimp

Called up EcoTech, gave them the decibel readings from my iPhone. Due to decibel difference being so minor between dry-only and dry-plus-wet, he thinks the issue is the dry side, so he's shipping a new one to me today.

Still haven't decided what to do about the MJ1200. Any suggestions for a quieter return pump?

My MP10 is very quiet. My MJ1200 was too loud, so I switched back to the stock oceanic return pump, it's much quieter. I don't think MJ1200s are quiet at all. My MP10 is much more quiet. The fans in the hood of my biocube are the loudest though, they make the MJ1200 and MP10 seem silent. I'll need to swap them out with silent fans at some point.

My MP10 is very quiet. My MJ1200 was too loud, so I switched back to the stock oceanic return pump, it's much quieter. I don't think MJ1200s are quiet at all. My MP10 is much more quiet. The fans in the hood of my biocube are the loudest though, they make the MJ1200 and MP10 seem silent. I'll need to swap them out with silent fans at some point.

Well apparently there are 2 manufacturers, and the cheaper Marineland ones have a reputation for being quite noisy, and the type I have, the Italian Cobalt ones, have a reputation for being divine gifts sent from the heavens (according to product reviews on Amazon, Marine Depot, etc).

I thought the mentality was If it's too loud, you're too old? My tank progressively becomes louder and louder as time progresses. If the living room is quiet, I'm worried....

Actually as you get older it gets quieter. your hearing goes and it really does not bug you anymore. :laugh:

The new maxi jets are louder then the older versions.

The new ones are made by Marineland in China, but the old design is still made by Cobalt in Italy for a little more money.

I actually bought a Marineland version last night at Petco in Sterling... it's almost exactly the same volume as the Cobalt version. However if I restrict the flow by putting my finger over the intake, the Marineland version gets really loud and rattle-y and the Cobalt one gets much quieter. Other than that the amount of humming/vibration/echo in the rear compartment is about the same. (The cashier said it would be no issue returning it if the pump was too loud for me.)

I'm wondering if I could mod the (Cobalt) pump to permanently reduce the intake... but pretty sure this would burn up the motor down the road.

Both pumps are fairly quiet suspended in the middle of the display section, but once they're in that rear chamber, everything is amplified.

Will a Sicce USA Syncra Silent Pump - 1.0 fit in there? I have heard nothing but great things about these pumps.

Syncra 1.0 Pump:

• 251gph, 5' max head, 2.17psi
  • Length: 3.54"
  • Width: 1.89"
  • Height: 2.83

I could look into it, but I've read mixed reviews. The Sicce 1.0 would be a downgrade in terms of GPH (251gph vs MJ1200 rated at 295gph) but that would be acceptable to me if it's truly quieter. The Sicce is only16W vs. the MJ1200's 20W...

My tank is 80℉ withOUT the heater, maybe investing in a less powerful pump would solve 2 problems with 1 stone.

Tested out the replacement dryside tonight... long story short, the quiet setting is about the same, and the loudest setting is a little quieter, but still too loud for my tastes. (Latest decibel readings posted on NanoReef.)

So it seems the equipment is working to spec, I guess I'm just a special little flower who can't handle much noise. Will probably try to sell this thing on the WTS forums before too long.

Instead of reducing the intake, restrict the output with a valve.  What size plumbing is it?

Also, what kind of tank is this?  If this is an AIO, you want slow flow through filtration section.  Add the powerful pumps in the display like a vortech, tunze, koralia, etc...

Edited by BowieReefer84

Instead of reducing the intake, restrict the output with a valve.  What size plumbing is it?

Also, what kind of tank is this?  If this is an AIO, you want slow flow through filtration section.  Add the powerful pumps in the display like a vortech, tunze, koralia, etc...

34g Solana AIO. I literally only ordered the MJ1200 bc other people on the internet said it was a good replacement for the stock pump.

Measuring the inside diameter of the return tube, it's about 1/2"... the rigid tube it comes with fits pretty tight, the silicone tube on there now is a bit loose but I used a zip tie to tighten the fit. What kind of plumbing should I look for?

Thanks btw for the great idea.

Edited by MrSexyShrimp

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I ordered an MJ900 (by Cobalt) and it's waaaaaay quieter than the MJ1200. There is a light electrical hum sound, but that's it. And it seems to provide adequate flow.

I think the MJ1200 was too powerful for the small return chamber, the noise wasn't the pump itself, more like a weird echo caused by the rushing water. It's hard to explain. But when I mix saltwater and my pump gets too close to the sides of the bucket, the same type of noise happens.

Still haven't sold the MP10 because procrastination. The Hydor Koralia powerhead that came with the tank when I bought it is quiet and sufficient.

Currently the loudest thing about the tank is the Tunze 9001 comline skimmer. Its noise is more an "air" noise than a pump noise. It has a silencer but it's still pretty loud. Not sure if there's anything I can do about it. Even though it's louder than the MJ1200 noise, it's less annoying somehow. More like a 'white noise.' Or maybe this is some type of "I have spent over a thousand dollars on this setup, I'm stuck with it" Stockholm syndrome.

I use a white noise machine in the bedroom. It tunes my system out completely, about 10' from the bed. Might be worth another $50 to run full time. Now we can't live without it.