return pump recommendations AC/DC

dangros

Hey Everyone!

I have a question that seems basic but I haven't found a satisfying answer yet.  I need a reliable, quiet return pump.  The old threads mostly favored Eheim but now-a-days there seems to be more of a desire to use DC pumps such as the newer Jebao's.  

I am building a 90g display with a 40breeder sump.  The return will be over the back at approx 43".  I will also split the return to feed the fuge.  Currently, I'm looking at the Eheim 1262. It's reliable, proven, quiet, and seems powerful enough.  

It would be great to reduce heat and power consumption w/something else but I dont want to break the bank (any more than I already have).

Any suggestions??

Dan

I dont disagree that the mag is a reliable pump. My previous 90g tank had one and it lasted 15yrs - still works as far as I know.   However, it is hot and vibrates a lot.   If I were to go that route, I would prefer the Eheim.  They are more reliable and quiet.  I have an old one for my skimmer (which I will eventually replace too).  

Mag 9.5 hands down best all around pump for 90g.  Will last 10 years if serviced regularly. Has a proven track record as reliable pump.

I just switched over to a DC return pump on my 90 and couldn't be happier.  I love how quiet the thing is and energy consumption has gone down slightly.  I had been running a Mag and it is now my backup 

I have three eheim 1262's and love them.  All bought before Waveline came out.  If you are ever planning to start playing with aquarium controllers get the wavelines. Just my opinion.

Edited by Rosco's Reefs

why wavelines over the other ones?

I have three eheim 1262's and love them.  All bought before Waveline came out.  If you are ever planning to start playing with aquarium controllers get the wavelines. Just my opinion.

I just swapped my mag9.5 with a jebao 6000 on my 65g. Tank running 1 degree cooler and power down 1.5amps on my apex. Online for 104$ can't beat it. Loving it so far.

After doing some more poking around I found the 12000 for an amazing price on fishstreet.  So I ordered it and 2 rw-8's w/wireless controller.  Tomorrow, I'm getting the apex and will try to finish the (bleeped out) stand.  I love the DIY way but I way over did it here.  In hindsight, I would have purchased the fuge and stand instead of making them.  Doing one at a time is cool but not all at once when you have a 2yr old!

I'll let you guys know what I think once it's up and running.

• 1 month later...

So I went with the jebao 12000.  The whole tank is setup and ready to roll with the exception of substrate and my rock scaping.

I was curing the rock in a bin but the bin burst in the basement at midnight!  Apparently the plastic was a bit old and brittle.  One of the rocks broke through and BOOM!  NOT FUN!  Luckily, it was in the basement and we had removed all carpet when moving in.  Even luckier, my wife was sleeping and I had finally finished the cleanup at 1:30am when she woke back up wondering where I was (gone swimming!).

SO my plan is the test the tank to make sure things flow correctly and there are no leaks in my plumbing.  Also want to make sure nothing splashes around in the oversized refugium I made.  I'm a bit concerned about not having enough space in the sump area (I went with a 40g homemade fuge) to properly hide all of the wires and apex connections!!  Fires are worse than floods.

So anyone recommend a place for pretty white crushed coral?  I would do sand but I dont want it blowing around like crazy with my RW-8s blasting the tank.

I'm still reading up, but so far I have seen good feedback on Reef Flakes and Premium Auatics carries it. Perhaps a local shop does too.

(edited)

I've seen the same.  I guess I'll try it.  I wish I could see it so I could decide b/w the mini-flakes and regular.  Any consensus as to how many bags for my 90g or which one (mini vs reg)?  

I seriously doubt any local guys have it but that would be awesome

Edited by dangros

I'm wrestling with the same decision... I'm not sure on quantity or mix. PA has a sampler...but not sure if worth it after shipping

I just bit the bullet and ordered the flakes from pa. After 20 years in this hobby I've learned that when I get impatient or substitute for what I really want, I end up Pying for it.

Btw, I read ur entire tank build thread. Great read. I have the same tank but my lights r kessil and my fuge is a 40B. I also put in the Herbie. Water goes in this weekend.

Love your rock scaping!

Tropic Eden reef flakes are very nice. It is what I used. Even nicer than Caribsea Special Grade.

--

Warren

Cool. I got 3 20lb bags. But it's the live sand so prob need another. Should do the trick for now. Can't wait to get this tank fully flowing

I dont disagree that the mag is a reliable pump. My previous 90g tank had one and it lasted 15yrs - still works as far as I know.   However, it is hot and vibrates a lot.   If I were to go that route, I would prefer the Eheim.  They are more reliable and quiet.  I have an old one for my skimmer (which I will eventually replace too).  

I'm building a 93g at the moment with 35g sump, and have an Eheim 1262 on the way.  Seems like the Mag 9.5 & Eheim 1262 are the two long term pumps for this size category.  I honestly do not know much about waveline, but my last tank .... 15? years ago had Mags and I wanted Eheims and I guess now since i'm getting back into aquariums i'm just going with what i've wanted for the last decade+ even though it may not be the newest tech.