NEED HELP ASAP!!!

edress714

Hello,

I need help!!! (FIRST POST BTW!!!)

As I was filling my 50 gallon with water (live rock and sand already in place) the middle brace broke. It had a crack already before filling it up (didnt know the water can cause it to fully break off). I have been reading online that I can repair it with a metal piece and screw it on or buy a new rim. 

My question to you guys is has anyone done this before?

Should I repair it?

Buy a rim?

Or get a whole new tank? 

Thanks guys!!

First off drain it down to at least 1/4 of the tank so it does not blow out.

I have never repaired one so my advice is get a new one.

Where do you live?

I am sure someone has repaired and replaced them, just not me.

good luck

Something sounds wrong with this tank.  If you're planning on putting any decent amount of livestock in it just buy a new tank.  You could wait for one of those $1/gallon promos at the chain pet store. 

It's not worth risking livestock for the price of a tank this size IMO.

I live in Aldie, I dont know much about tanks, the brace was already 90% broken, didnt know the reasoning behind it (now I do!) so when it got to like 80% full it broke off 100%, I then removed 15 gallons and now its half way full. I can hold the two ends and it goes together without much resistance. Its an aqueon 55 gallon 48 x 12 x 21. 

Something sounds wrong with this tank. If you're planning on putting any decent amount of livestock in it just buy a new tank. You could wait for one of those $1/gallon promos at the chain pet store.

It's not worth risking livestock for the price of a tank this size IMO.

+1. Just buy a new tank.

55s are very common. You could probably quickly find a used one in good shape by asking in the sales thread here (mention that it will be your DT). Or find a used one and swap out the brace. Or just buy a new one of you can spend the $100 (since the $1gal sale isnt on). Those tanks are fairly tall and wide and many of them are made with relatively thin glass. Dont risk it.

found one in kingstowne for $40. guess I gotta start the transfer :( such a bummer

Sleeping good at night is way better than the bummer. You made a good choice!

This is a blessing in disguise.  If I had my way, every 55 would suffer this fate.  It is an awful tank dimension, especially for salt water.  Use this opportunity to change to a new tank dimension.  I repeat, you will regret a 55.

Welcome to WAMAS!

I agree about the dimensions of standard 55. Not enough depth for aquascaping and for corals to grow outward, nor for fish to have variety in their swim space. If you want a tank that length, get a 75g and use that $40 55g for a sump for the 75g. Twice I have gotten 75g tanks on WAMAS in good condition for just $50.

A 75g is the smallest size within reason to house the smaller species of certain types of very desirable and popular reef fishes. As has been said already, you will end up regretting that 55g dimensions if you decide you want one of those types of fish, or a school of some type of fish.

Edited by treesprite

you guys are killing me lol this is my first saltwater tank, 75 gallon would be too big for my area. I was gna keep the 29 i started but got a good deal on the 55 gallon (until the brace broke lol) I just want it to look decent with some nice fish. nothing too fancy and hardcore (just easy corals, soft and lps), anemones, and the smaller types of fish. 

I agree with everyone about the dimensions but figured you may be new to SW. The tank will present you annoying challenges, but if you stick with it and like it, you will surely upgrad in a year. The dimensions of the 29 may work better for flow (very important) but will really limit your fish (which may actually be a good thing).

If you already have the new 55 and stand and like where it is and how it fits in the space keep it. Just know you will constantly hear how it's a bad size and everyone will know you are new (haha). If you can deal with a 75 absolutely do that. If you liked the size of the 29 go with that as a test but plan for your next tank to be at least a 75. (If you used the 29 for fw you probably shouldnt use it for sw-many fw chemicals/med are problematic for sw).

A good friend of mine got a good deal on a 55 system a year ago. That got him hooked. He learned what he wants in a new tank and just upgraded to a 90. So it can be done.

Its all about what works for you and $.

thank you for that post. made me feel a bit better. I plan on keeping the 55 for a good year or 2. get used to this saltwater game and perfect my skills and learn everyday from you experts. I read every day and ready some more. I have learned a lot these past few weeks. will keep you guys updated once I get the tank today and get things rolling!

In case the horse has not been beaten enough, I would agree with all the above about dumping the 55 if you really plan on keeping corals (and your LED post suggests you do).  That 12" width is going to be murder to work with.  If going bigger is not an option, consider a 40 breeder.  You won't be able to keep tangs, but there are many fish that will be comfortable in it, and it will be a lot easier to arrange.  Plus, you could light it nicely with one of the budget Chinese LED fixtures.

thank you for that post. made me feel a bit better. I plan on keeping the 55 for a good year or 2. get used to this saltwater game and perfect my skills and learn everyday from you experts. I read every day and ready some more. I have learned a lot these past few weeks. will keep you guys updated once I get the tank today and get things rolling!

Never feel bad! It's very eay to get talked into upgrading here.  People only mean well and want to help you avoid the common pitfalls and issues, which usually end up costing you more money in the long run.  That being said, you know what size of a tank/fixture/system is going to fit best in the space you have.  I would love a 120, but that's probably not going to be an option for a few years for me, so I'm sticking with my 90g.  And by the time I'm ready to upgrade to a 120, I'll probably want a different size lol.  However, the larger water volume of a 75g will also soften the learning curve.  A smaller tank means the swings in chemicals/nutrients will be faster and probably sharper.  From a learning perspective, bigger is better to a point in saltwater.  I can't even imagine everything I would have killed in a nano when I was first learning!  I kill enough in my 90g while learning about SPS!

Good luck and welcome to WAMAS!

My tank is only 18" deep, and I've been OK with aquascaping. Everybody told me that was the hardest part. March to your own drum, and work with what you have, if you don't like it, change it! Just my 2 cents.

Glad you got it all worked out!

Do you already have your skimmer and stuff? If not, you might want to make sure to get stuff that will work with a larger tank, so when you upsize the tank in a couple years, you won;t have to buy new everything else as well.

Speaking of tangs, please don;t put one in the 55g tank. Wait until you have a 75 or larger.

tank is filled with water and all is good! got the fluval 405 running right now to get the water clear from the sand and stuff. the skimmer I got for free from a friend is an all in one. skimmer, uv sterlizer, and filter. its the PSE1 skimmer. have you guys heard of that or know if that works well? I wanted to get one of the hang on the back skimmers but got this and was curious if it works well. 

and where do I post stuff I want to sell? Thanks everyone!

This is a blessing in disguise.  If I had my way, every 55 would suffer this fate.  It is an awful tank dimension, especially for salt water.  Use this opportunity to change to a new tank dimension.  I repeat, you will regret a 55.

lol, yeah way too narrow