building 380 gallon tank

Seahorseconservancy

for the third time we have lost our server at Bluehost we rent half a server so if you tried to join us we are having problems, this time they even took our favicon, man it was up to speed after they fixed it then, gone completly, wierd I did watch the Interview?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the website was up 20 minutes then down again, Sunday is day three, lets call this "the seahorse wars", but war with who? we only have 29 members and no money at all, maybe it will work in the morning, but not for long would be my guess

13 Amphipods and I took  the bottom of the river home. nice macro! I wont be using the baby tanks so will fill them with live food, the rock bottom will be next the horses can hunt and the food can hide, yes they eat grass shrimp if its to big they pin it down and suck out its blood, the bay has mysids skeleton shrimp even Mantis Shrimp picture is the bottom of the first baby tank

river bottom

Yes it is and has been growing all day. growing on the rocks!  I have tried gluing it to the rocks and had no luck then eventually it gets stuck in the overflow. I'm hoping collecting  the ones that are growing from the rocks will help, the pods love the stuff. 

the mysis are here, for $65 +shipping = $90 you you get less shrimp then if you paid $3 for live brine. 300 are in this video the other 200 mostly died when my homemade filter in the other tank killed them, only 50 were saved http://instagram.com/p/xnejhoq0so/?modal=true

Deborah:  The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is holding a series of workshops to show volunteers how to plant celery grass to replenish underwater grass to the Potomac. Let’s go to a workshop and support this good cause. It would be great if they would eventually work with us to reintroduce saltwater seagrass to Coles Point VA, the Conservancy’s home port. Here is an aerial photo of the location:

• 4 weeks later...

started building this tank today, I have 3x the mysis I had last month but they eat lots of there babies and I would rather feed the babies to the baby seahorses, this tank when its done should solve the problem, the mysis farmer in florida told me how to build it 

mysis farm

Im surprised they gave up their secret mysis farming information. That would be like finding out bushes beans secret recipe and risking the business

they told me every detail and who they sell to, you would have to be insane to breed mysis for a living, or seahorses, they sell to schools and public aquriums, and private collectors farm raised 5000 mysis are about $440 plus shiping so thats about $1200 per week for a seadragon guessing they dont want wild caught, im guessing it wiil  take maybe 20 these 20 gallon tanks to make 5000 mysis a week, they eat baby brine need clean water biolojical filtration, eat 3 times a day ect, if i do it it is a $2000 dollar prodject and will be a few hours a day work clening screens mostly I spend $40 to $50 a week on food x 52 =$2500 a year  just having fun might be fun for us all? 

my brothers getting his boat ready so we can get out early this march and film the seagrass with Gopros befor the water clouds up, the membership plugin works now we could use some members, I spent $560 on security for one year so the site is safe http://www.seahorseconservancy.org/

Bills boat

• 4 weeks later...

Great job Walt! How many gallons of water do you have for the seahorse so far?

when i added this tank i got rid of 2 tanks so 4 tanks = 800 gallons and the sump, adding a 60 gallon k 4 filter next and ordered stuff to work on mysis farm, baby mysis should be key to growing out seahorses at 3 weeks to 6 weeks, getting a few more pairs of big bellies, cant wait to see your'e tank

this video shows basic box beam construction a cheap fast tank stand, I look like a hobo, I should get a hair cut and clean up for spring, to really buff a tank that size would mean wet sanding from 220 to 2000 if it was a sports car it would be worth it or a classic boat but its an old tank so i just went at it for a few hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCp-V0Lotvo&feature=youtu.be