building 380 gallon tank

Seahorseconservancy

thanks everyone this is fun, next week i will order hammerhead pump, unless someone has a better pump idea? then get 60 gallon grow out tank and wet dry going, first batch horses 1.5" and some eating full grown shrimp! more babies coming this week, 400+ all doing good, i put a quart of green water in system every day with the food so the oyster and 2 mussels are employed by the conservancy. 

Walt- I love that you have no shortage of outlets! 24 by my count on the last pic. Way to do it right!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

press release! I got to meet Duffy today at Daves, so todays photo is next weeks idea , ordered the hammerhead pump, finish the wet dry that Rob told me to build and wait for the biopellets to kick in,  this photo shows the top of a 5 gallon hatchery, its easy to get the crap out of the bottom but lets skim this mess off the top! so i will build a tray around the top, raise the water level and skim, also i cant breed the Redies without Tysbe pods my first attempt failed oh yea got a few pods but not enough to keep a hundred fish alive for the 4 days it takes to switch them to brine, anybody out there ever done it? Im stuck

brine waste

made this drip plate top for the 60 gallon cube, sort of stuck waiting for the newpumb,

Walt, what goes on the drip plate? Bioballs?

great news got a letter from the I.R.S. they seem to be giving us the green light, just a few simple things they want from us, wow, green peace ha you can't put a whale in your'e fish tank, seah but better be humble, so $80 of bio balls filled about 2" guess i will get another batch.

Wet Dry Top

'

thanks , we wont be limited to just seahorses, we want to work on habitates, seagrass beds or reefs, I heard someone from wamas glues frags in the keys , love to help him,  the detail with the I.R.S. that needs to be worked on is we want to be able to mow someones  lawn or paint there barn and in return they donate but since that's a service with value added ? need to work it out. we will sell seahorses to members next year, i know everyone will have fun but can we actually do good? maybe , also heard a member of wamas is a seagrass expert I had her # and lost it. 

i made a friend in peru, a kid almost maybe 20 he is a biology student so he caught these inges breeds them saw my video on avast skimmers, i have had inges befor but not like these they were tropical crap, i mean i loved them but these are the real deal never seen anything like them if i had a pair we can make hundreds . ill send him skimmers how do i do this? what about the angel fish guy he is nice he must know, i have a fedex account and allowed to ship seahorses but a gift ? check it, mine mine mine want mine, does not wamas want the babies?

peru

Das pump 2

Das pump

this is for dave, got the hammerhead, 27 lbs. the hybrid impeller is just a spinning sq. tube not funnel, so it would never hurt baby horses or pods might be perfect for you, i guess fish stuff is a little slow to catch up, a few years ago my brother gave me an impellar from a car and i could not understand it, a lady my age said wats wrong, she my age nuerologest and lawer, i said i dont understand irt and she is worried im geting stupid, anyway she died passing a car in middleburg but she sure was pritty , dave we are all sort of dumb but this impeller is nice , the price, $450 less then $2 a pound , i need to be a nonprofit to get those horses from peru, they are protected  

This is the new manifold, I will try it on Wednesday with the new pump, the tanks are 68 degrees now and the copper banded is ok they are an estuary fish that can swim up rivers so I'm hoping that like our spotfin butterfly they can go to 65 degrees, Jakie wants him so i can take him there but i think ok. diving in water way less then 60 degrees i have seen spot fins, why so cold? a pair of big bellies arrives friday or saturday, they can stay with 3 new babies i want to keep , brittney from reef escape took some photos of them , her boss phill gets pick of the litter but not these 3. brittney is now our administrator, so i dont want to let her down going to get this non profit running.

plumbing 1

going to help dave tomarrow, its geting fun fun fun, my niece at school learned that lionfish, nazie lion fish are moving way north geting used to the cold water, her dad and i are working on a new air powered spring recall stick to kill them faster cant wait to test it

i will start a breeding thread now, but every time i build i will post here, might build another acrilic tank after this filter mess is done, this is Lady Gaga, 2-1/4" long, David Bowie more wild and mostly white, i was breeding for a lighter fish and now that being done we b

lady gaga 3

reed for rock stars  

at 67 degrees the copper banded is hyper active so a friend will come get him this afternoon, then we go to 64 degrees, this maybe have the big bellies dilevered sat. this also means i can have 20 or 30 catalinna gobies as companion fish

CAL0047

bio balls yes i need 8, 5 gallon buckets x $80 each = blue balls, there is a sunk u-boat in the river for winter dives,

I have a 5 gallon bucket of Bioballs that you can have !!!

at 67 degrees the copper banded is hyper active so a friend will come get him this afternoon, then we go to 64 degrees, this maybe have the big bellies dilevered sat. this also means i can have 20 or 30 catalinna gobies as companion fish

I love that fish! I unfortunately did not know about the cold water requirements about 7 years ago and had and lost about 5 over 6 months. Now I have learned to do a lot of research for each fish and to keep away from things that will not be able to live their lives out in my tank.

yes thanks the bio balls sound great, duffy i have klilled alot of stuff in my life its depressing, anyway the big bellies arive  friday, there is no other pair cant replace even one, been going nuto , been talking to the number one seahorse guy in the states or maybe world, i could not fallow all the conversation esp. imunne systems of preastoric fish but i do know his wife will kill me if anything happens to these fish, im not a religious man but this would be a good time to pray that i dont screw this up

yes duffy, i looked it up catalina gobies need to be less then 60 degrees so forget that idea, im 65 degrees i will stay with the horses , i could go to 60 but thats too much if somebody buys a horse and has to go up to 75 degrees the horses could take it but they would suffer a bit and it was just an idea, ill be back on saturday

I love that fish! I unfortunately did not know about the cold water requirements about 7 years ago and had and lost about 5 over 6 months. Now I have learned to do a lot of research for each fish and to keep away from things that will not be able to live their lives out in my tank.

Ken, I had the same experience 25 years ago.  I bought 4 or 5 from a pet store because they were so beautiful, but I had no idea they needed cool water, so they all died within a month or two.  Back then we had to learn by killing fish, which is why I like forums like WAMAS so much.   Learning from the experiences of others is so much better than learning by killing fish.

i am ready sort of tomarrow the big bellies arive, allmost done with plumbing but spilled the purpler primer on the floor, was drinking wine , dam, i dont know how to clean, wet sand i guess, next photo, 60 gallon cube ready for tonarrow, the video just what i breed for , a younge fellow getting some babies if you dont want me to cull you better save them, and a video, bowie is white not yellow but you sde where im going , pump good but needd more tan ks soon, sorry drunk.

plumbing

I read acetone might help get some of it up, depends on how long it is down. Not sure if acetone will damage your floor.