IO vs. reef crystals

Sharkey18

So i bought 3! boxes of instant ocean salt when pet solutions was having a great sale. 

It arrived today, but it's reef crystals, not plain IO. 

Any problem in me using the reef crystals? My system is about 400g and I change 100g at a time. 

IO just has more of trace elements and cal alk mag. So as long as you do regular water changes and check cal, alk and mag it should work great for you.

Enjoy, you might not go back. I'm making the switch the other way, hope it works out!

Awesome.

Issac, why are switching away from reef crystals?

Because io is cheaper, and I'm dosing now, makes sense.

IO just has more of trace elements and cal alk mag. So as long as you do regular water changes and check cal, alk and mag it should work great for you.

Actually RC has more.

Here are the levels for each salt. From past experience I would still test before adding since your results may vary. RC actually costs more then IO so it sounds like you got a deal!

Calcium

Alkalinity

Magnesium

Instant Ocean

Reef Crystals

Oopsies that's what I meant. I'm sure regular IO is just fine but I stick with RC because It gives me a warm feeling in my belly knowing that there is extra. Especially the trace elements

Edited by gmerek2

So i bought 3! boxes of instant ocean salt when pet solutions was having a great sale. 

..............? My system is about 400g and I change 100g at a time. 

How often do you do your 100G water change.  How do you do that, manually carry water ?  I did a 36G water change using 6 buckets and I am about dead :cool:

....... RC actually costs more then IO so it sounds like you got a deal!

Acutally, Petsolution saw that you do 100G water changes and decided to bait you with a free upgrade to RC . :clap:

I used RC and have no problems. but remember hearing that you can go from IO to RC but not the other way around.

IO is an industry standard probably for the price. But reef crystals have more of the good stuff, even if you dose you will be ahead if the game if you forget to dose.

LOL.... you might be right! Hey this chick needs a lot of salt..... 

mling... i try to change 100g every 2 weeks, but sometimes I stretch to 3.   I don't carry a drop. I have a decent sized fish room and a 100g water barrel.  I siphon 100g out of the tank, then pump the new 100g in. 

I am doing so much because of an ongoing phosphate issue. It does seem to be getting better so I might start stretching the changes out to  3 to 4 weeks. 100g every 2 weeks is super expensive so I am unlikely to switch to reef crystals long term.