New Fish

surf&turf

Beautiful, Frank! Any nipping of corals with the PB?

Beautiful, Frank! Any nipping of corals with the PB?

So far just the tube worms. 

I thought they ate coral? Hopefully Frank can disprove that! I would love to have one of them along with the Saddleback Butterfly.

I thought they ate coral? Hopefully Frank can disprove that! I would love to have one of them along with the Saddleback Butterfly.

They are reef safe with caution. I like the fish better at this point anyway. I'll keep everyone posted. 

Sweet. Beautiful fish

(edited)

seriously beautiful butterfly selection. i'm glad you were able to make the call that few solidify for themselves in the reef vs fish debate with some of the more "delicate" selections for our reef.

i'm looking forward to more feedback in the coming months as my experience has been different than yours thus far. even with the species outside the group of obligate coralivores, some definitely are more risky than others, haha.

butterflies have been really popular lately and i'll typically have them very well fed by the time treatment is complete. at this point, some folks ask to "test" fish with different corals. in that genus, c.guentheri have been great and of course most of all the roaps subgenus in chaetodon.

how long have you had it? approximate what size was it when you got it? what selection of coral is available in your tank for snacking?

thanks so much for the share  - would love more butterfly fish owners to post up their experiences!

Edited by monkiboy

One of my favorite fish, and the reason why I setup a FOWLR so I can keep butterfly's w/o worrying about the corals in the reef tank.  One day I will get around to actually adding more than a tang and a couple clowns in the FOWLR.

seriously beautiful butterfly selection. i'm glad you were able to make the call that few solidify for themselves in the reef vs fish debate with some of the more "delicate" selections for our reef.

i'm looking forward to more feedback in the coming months as my experience has been different than yours thus far. even with the species outside the group of obligate coralivores, some definitely are more risky than others, haha.

butterflies have been really popular lately and i'll typically have them very well fed by the time treatment is complete. at this point, some folks ask to "test" fish with different corals. in that genus, c.guentheri have been great and of course most of all the roaps subgenus in chaetodon.

how long have you had it? approximate what size was it when you got it? what selection of coral is available in your tank for snacking?

thanks so much for the share  - would love more butterfly fish owners to post up their experiences!

I just got him yesterday, its eating blood worms and mysis at the moment. He's appr. 2/3".

There's a variety of corals in the tank for his snacking pleasure, mostly lps, acans, plates, hammers. A few Sps, couple acro's, monti's and some softies. Cabbage leather, green nephea, zoas and mushrooms.

One of my favorite fish, and the reason why I setup a FOWLR so I can keep butterfly's w/o worrying about the corals in the reef tank.  One day I will get around to actually adding more than a tang and a couple clowns in the FOWLR.

Mine too.

Following along.

If you can give us a weekly update on how he/she is doing and how your tank corals are surviving!

Following along.

If you can give us a weekly update on how he/she is doing and how your tank corals are surviving!

Will do.

Very nice Frank! I have got to get over there and see your tank and fish! There is never enough time in the day

Very nice Frank! I have got to get over there and see your tank and fish! There is never enough time in the day

I know, I was thinking the same thing the other day. 

Great looking fish Frank. Ineed to come see that in person!!!!!

Great looking fish Frank. Ineed to come see that in person!!!!!

Thanks Todd, yes you do.

Butterfly still doing great, haven't seen it nip any corals yet, loves algae and Larrys food.