I did something really dumb... again... ?s about Bayer/AEFW.

Curtis Scott

It's been a while since I've posted.

A few months back I purchased some sps frags from a very reputable seller in the NOVA area (not naming names here, please don't ask me). He assured me there were no pest. He also told me it would be risky to dip these frags because they are smooth skins. (Oregon Blue Tort, Red Dragon, and Banana Lokani type) His tank was immaculate, and against my gut instinct I placed them directly in my display tank. Immediately I noticed red bugs on all these frags. I have plenty of interceptor so I treated for red bugs, thinking no biggie. A few months went by, life was very hectic and my tank was neglected for a bit. When things started to go bad, they went bad fast. I had an Alk swing and some of my SPS start to RTN on me. Once I got that under control, I noticed a couple of my acro colonies with dead/white spots on the bottom of them, toward the bases. I did some research. I was so devastated once my internet searches confirmed what I feared what was cause.

I messed up big time. I got into SPS and didn't set up a proper QT process. Now I have AEFWs.  

For weeks, this experience had destroyed my excitement for this hobby. A lot of swearing and talking about maybe just getting out for a while and starting new in a couple years. My brother, who got me into the hobby, came up to visit last weekend and we talked about my options. I really love this hobby, so I've decided to push forward. Last weekend, I purchased a melanarous(sp) wrasse for my DT. Wednesday I purchased Bayer and set up my old JBJ 28 with water change water from my DT for my QT. I plan to frag/cut off bases/dip and QT what is remaining of my acros/SPS. 

I have a few questions for those who have done battle with AEFW using Bayer dips and QT.

Would it be safest to remove all my SPS from my tank, dip and QT? Or are the AEFW only going to go after acros?

If I remove all the SPS(or just acros) from my DT and into the QT, will the AEFW die from starvation? If so, when would it be the safest to add SPS(or just acros) back to the tank? I've read 2months, I've read 6months. 

Planning to start dipping process tomorrow, can you point to a trusted source/online guide for using Bayer dips on AEFW? I've seen many variations online.

No experience, but I've researched a bit.

Sorry to hear about this, but good for you for coming forward, and for looking for help. There are a couple of our members who have battled it, and have had success. It's not for the faint of heart, but something tells me you've made up your mind to push through it, congrats!

AEFW will only eat acropora, so if you get rid of it, I would go as long as you possibly can without starting again. What's the point of doing something half way? Just keep in mind that this means even removing whatever is encrusted onto the rock, as that will be food for them!

Clip, dip, and save as much as you can. Last years FFE bayer dips were covered, and it was suggested tablespoon per gallon. This is what I use for all my dips, and what I have heard to be most effective with AEFW.

Setup a separate QT system for your acros, prepare to lose some. Keep us posted.

Remember Bayer only works for the actual worms not the eggs.  Inspect each piece for eggs and scrape them off if you find any.  Dip and repeat at least 1x per week for many weeks (at least 4 or more). If you rid your display of acros the worms will die because they won't have a host.  Make sure your QT is similar in setup to your display since you will be putting a lot of stress on the corals by moving them.

thanks for coming forward.

if you're able to remove all your acropora without too much headache, great. i would do that, get it into a qt tank and dip with bayer once a week for 10-15 minutes depending on species with bayer (1 tablespoon / gallon). the presentation from last year's FFE is here: http://wamas.org/forums/topic/51941-reef-aquarium-pests

i've been able to use stronger dilutions up to 4x more for active at same time interval. folks on the boards (http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/100496-bayer-insecticide-coral-dip.html) will use up to 20x stronger for 5-7 minutes successfully but i have not found a need for that.

as mentioned, remember that bayer will not kill AEFW eggs. look between branching acropora  for dead tissue where eggs may cluster, under the colonys, and anywhere is not live tissue.

if you are not able to remove the rocks that have encrusting acropora coral on it then take some epoxy and cover it completely spread over the surface entirely with overlap very firmly. it's most ideal to be able to remove all acropora from the tank but some folks do remove all frags and colonies they can, cover all encrusting acropora coral and do once a week treatments without a qt tank. when they find eggs, it is scraped like scott mentioned and you can epoxy over that surface as well or trimmed back from where eggs where present and that piece discarded if you are not willing to toss the whole thing which is what i would recommend.

i always encourage folks to qt or at the very least dip with bayer all acropora no matter where it comes from. i've seen AEFWs and/or red bugs on coral from folks starting out in the hobby to TOTM winners to the LFS. even with my personal tanks that undergo a litany of caution/qt/dips, etc when it comes to any fish or coral added, i always advise the same diligence be carried out with anything i give out. 

i really appreciate your honesty talking about your predicament and allowing others to learn from it. your attitude and game-plan will come together soon and i'm sure as long as you follow through properly, you'll be back at it in no time!

I Bayer dip all frags. Every single one, even from veteran members on the board. Not worth the risk. It's so easy too, and the therapeutic range on the dip is huge, so it's hard to really mess up. Make sure you transfer to a fresh tank water container before going in the tank though, especially if it's staying on a plug/rock that was in the Bayer dip.

Sorry to hear man. I beat them a while ago with 8 dips once a week. I didn't qt I just pulled every acro for each dip. Which was,easy because they were all on individual rocks.

Did you contact the seller? It would be nice if they would come out and say it was them so everyone who has purchased from them could be aware. Not a pest I would wish on anyone and it sucks that our reputable sellers sell corals like this...

Good luck man Let me know if you have any questions. Aefw will hide in places like they know you can't see, like the one acro you think is ok will get torn apart on the backside if you don't check it and dip it each week. Pain in the butt but once you get a routine down tbey aren't too bad.

Thanks for all the feedback and words of encouragement everyone.

I plan to pull all the acros out and dip them today then place them in my QT. I'll follow up with 8+ weeks of dips and inspections every 7 days.  

Sounds good, let us know how it goes. Hopefully not a lot of people got them (or continue to get them) since "reputable sellers" normally sell decent amounts of coral.

Two tips from me would be...

When dipping use a second container with tank water in it to wash and swish around the corals in to dislodge any dying worms before putting back in the tank.

Also make sure to not skip any days and be very aggressive in looking for new egg batches and cleaning and scraping any you find.

I used revive, and switched once or twice to melafix since I dipped for 2 or three months the wrong way.

This is another good reason for everyone to check their corals and if you don't know the signs of corals pests, RESEARCH THEM!

I couldn't dip today, instead I'm making water for a water change and will dip in a couple days using the throw away tank water. I have a few large colonies and will probably need to make up 2-3 gallons of water with bayer for dipping.

Yeah, hopefully the spread is limited. Especially if everyone who buys acros is doing the right thing and dipping, inspecting, and quarantining them. Oddly enough, I don't fault the seller. It's my fault for not taking proper steps. Never again though. I'll dip quarantine and inspect every coral from now on. 

Bonsai is getting it pretty bad.  :angry:

I have read that the bonsais get the brunt of it for some strange reason. I think I've heard them called the "canary" for this exact reason!

Just a headsup, I've also heard of people getting a small pump, like a maxijet, and just going over all their acros with it hand-held before they remove them for a dip, this dislodges a lot of the aefw, and that six line will probably go nuts. After dipping and before you rinse them and put them back in your QT, I would personally try and do it again (obviously outside of the tank.)

(edited)

You 8 dips per week?

8 dips once a week....

if you don't check it and dip it each week.

8 dips total; one per week. he might have forgotten a comma but clarifies later. you would never need/want to dip 8 times in one week.

Edited by monkiboy

First prepare for losses, there will be some.

they lifecycle is supposed to be from hatcing to able to lay eggs in approxiamtely 5 days-9 days....so most people say dip every week and you should catch them before they lay more eggs.

Most say you need to do at least 4 dips and 7 or more is preferred.

In the dips just watch for Temp drops etc especially if all the corals dont fit in one container....first few rounds will get dirty as all heck.

Make sure you have a secondary batch in fresh tank water if you plan to put them back in the main to get any residual dip off as said above.

Also if you put corals back in the tank, DO not shake off the dead worms for fish to eat, they will have the bayer in it which is very bad for fish.

If you can take things out and keep them out that is usally the best option...they will loose color but should come back. just try to match the tanks alk/params etc and do not use tank water for water changes.

I would also think about lowering the intensity of the light to let the corals "rest' a bit.

also ive seen some pics of guys that just took out their corals and once dried they found eggs in places of live skin, crevices you never woulda looked etc....which is another reason the several rounds of dips is needed.

best of luck, keep us updated....ill be doing a similar write up soon enough.