The Bobbit Worm

zygote2k

The 300g that I posted about some time ago had been losing euphylliads, shrooms, zoas, palys, snails, crabs at an alarming rate. Maybe a total loss of nearly $1500 in livestock.

I had the water and source water tested but no results.

The office had said that someone dropped a watch battery in the tank a few years ago and remembering DerABT's experience, I guessed that to be the cause.

To find proof, I had to remove nearly 400# of sand and to sift it by hand.

Over the last week, I sifted 4 buckets but only found a random snail or hermit but no batteries or other foreign objects.

As I pushed the last 50# into the corner for removal, the Star Leopard Wrasse popped out and then something that looked like a runaway fire hose began thrashing around. W

When the sediment cleared, I realized it was a huge segmented worm about 3' long.

I caught it in a net but it broke into 4 big segments. Each of the segments is doing fine and chasing the others around in the bucket.

Will each segment grow into a separate worm? And finally, does anyone want it?

So the worm growing into something separate if cut was something I could find very little information on. Here is the last (documented) time it happened in one of our WAMAS members tanks, at least documented.

here is me complaining about not being able to find any information on that being true.

And here is the article that Grahm shared further in the thread which is from a place called "Get Surry" by a Jenny Stanton. This article, claims that indeed, the splitting makes what was one, two.

I don't want one anymore, no space, take a picture!

I decided to keep it and see if the segments turn into new worms. I'll post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to do it from the iphone but it looks like any of the ones that are on reefcentral or recent tank pictures. It does have an interesting 'sand-like' camo pattern on its' dorsal side and it really is iridescent in the sunlight. The biggest part is the diameter of my thumb. 

It has to live with the Green Death Star and killer Tomato clown.

Update to follow.

quick update- decided to look at it before I went out the door- the Green Death Star apparently loves to eat them and has one of the big segments in its' mouth. I took a pic too.

I thought "bobbit worm" was a joke you made up but it is actually named after John Bobbitt, lol. The Wikipedia article mentions a couple of people finding them in "artificial environments" - you can add your name to the list!

No way. That is an insane worm. 3 feet and as think as your thumb. Sounds like a horror flick. 

Can't wait for the pics. 

the starfish ate the head section. the other 3 pieces are still alive and well. they were broken when I pulled a scraper through the sand to pile it up for removal.

If anyone was wondering, the segments have grown new heads and there are currently 2 Bobbit worms in my overflow.

If anyone would like one, feel free to come pick it up (with tongs of course).

They're easy to keep and snack on corals- Outlaw Stew Palys are consumed with vigor.

So Glad we got a bobbit worm breeder now! I bet they will snack on bubble algae and aptasia in the sump and overflows!