noisy air intake on reefocto nwb150 ?

Fritz0id3937

After 2 months of nearly silent operation, my reef octopus nwb150 just got ridiculously loud - like a toilet flushing. The noise is coming from the air-intake silencer. It has 2 tubes and one is capped with the black cap, w/o the cap its even louder. Sounds like loud water/air gurgling. I put a cotton ball in there for now, which helps a lot but its still too loud. Any advice for getting it quiet again? I tried blowing air into it, that didn't help at all.

I'd pull the Venturi and needle wheel and give them both a cleaning. Good chance there is salt build up and crud on the wheel.

--

Warren

(edited)

sounds like it was clogged for two months and is now running good and pulling in lots of air.

loud pipes save lives.

Edited by zygote2k

Problem seems to have fixed itself, it has queited back down. I might put the cotton ball back in there, makes it even quieter. I wonder if putting a short tube on the open vent pipe of the silencer would help too. Anybody else use any mods for the silencer?

Was there any water backed up inside the silencer? Sometimes this will cause a gurgling - or gargling - sound that lasts until the water is either poured out, sucked back in, or evaporates.

No water in the silencer. The gurgling was a echoy sound that was being amplified from deep within. I thought maybe there could be water in the air line towards the bottom maybe. So I blew a lot of air Down it into the pump, didn't change anything. Wonder what caused it, oh well, at least it went away on its own.

I have this same exact skimmer. I love it. Mine hasn't made that noise yet though. I bet it was partial blockage in intake tube

... The gurgling was an echoy sound that was being amplified from deep within.

Sounds like my stomach about lunch time.

Feed your tank... feed it.

(edited)

I think the noise was my skimmer eating my small clown fish (<1"). Haven't seen him since the skimmer started acting noisy. Not like him to hide, worried he got sucked down the overflow, made his way out of a filter sock and into the skimmer pump. He was the only one missing at the time of the noise :( I'll have to put some foam or something over the overflow box.

Edited by Fritz0id3937

I have a fire fish that lives in my sump. It has not been eaten by the skimmer. The clown must have been sick or weakened or just too small. Sorry to hear that