Red Sea Coral Pro Salt - anyone use it?

epleeds

I am getting tired of the brown mess from the RC salt in my mixing container.  Anyone use this salt?  Do you like it and has anyone ever compared it to RC in terms of levels.

I got the same brown stuff from the red sea coral pro. It was actually worse than RC

Edited by surf&turf

I got the same brown stuff from the red sea coral pro. It was actually worse than RC

+1 on the RS Coral Pro browning. The only way I don't get brown gunk is if I mix without heat and for less than 2-3 hours. Any longer, not only is there a brown residue, but the water itself has a yellow tint.

However, I do like the salt better than RC.

Edited by Djplus1

I use ESV B-Ionic salt mix and don't get any of the brown gunk. Granted it is a 4 part mix and costs a little more but it can be used immediately after mixing. I have also let it set mixing for 2-3 days and have not seen any brown gunk.

I had brown with my last batch of reef crystals but this last batch is perfectly clear even after three batches that sit for weeks. I did clean out the brute with citric acid between the salt boxes and rinsed and let dry. Dunno. I think maybe bowiereefer is using red sea coral pro?

I use coral sea pro in all 3 of my tanks. Other then ghe price i love it. I get the larger buckets for about $65 shipped. Ive also found calcium levels are always good with this salt. I still dose calcium anyways

I use I/O and mix about 50000g in the same bucket over the course of any given year. Bucket is clean as the day I bought it except for a million scratches. I've only ever seen residue when water is stored in a container for a week, then mixed with salt.

Any salt is usable as soon as it clears.

The brown is due to the high alk.  It is beyond saturation point.  Don't mix too long, and don't heat too much.  I actually use plain old blue bucket Red Sea salt, but it is really hard to find :(  I may switch soon.