Clowns in "Harems" or groups?

I want to have a nearly BTA only tank. 30 gallon tank with 6+ BTAs and I'm thinking I just want to do clowns. I want to have 4 or 5 ocellaris. For some reason I remember being told not to put them in even number groups. Is this just fallacy or is there some truth to this? 

I have 13 in a 180 and they are fine all added at different times and different sizes. They have a hierarchy but everyone knows there place now I have heard a ton of stories about it not working for people though. Also depending on the size of your tank you might just want to do a pair I had 4 in a 60 gallon cube and they would fight all the time.

Clowns all have different aggression depending on species. Ocellaris are one of the least aggressive and can tolerate more than two clowns in a tank. However, there can only be one female and usually only one sexed male. The other clowns that you add to the tank have to be small enough that they haven't become sexually mature. Then if one of the dominant (male or female) dies one of the smaller ones will take its place.

You can also have different species in the same tank. Obviously the least aggressive species would be better choices than the more aggressive ones.

30g is fairly small and would limit the number.

Edited by Almon

It's a glass top tank with a guarded overflow all in one tank. Thanks for all the great advice guys!!

My limited experience is that they work can it out, but are much more likely to jump out because of the chasing and that never really goes away.

We have found the bigger the nem the less aggression we see.  When we have 12-15 of the same type of clowns in a tank with a big nem they are all happy.  However if that big nem sells and they are left a little 2-3” one they all fight to get into it.  If you have several nems all over the tank there will probably be a lot less aggression. 

If you get a ball of baby clowns like above (Almon, I remember that batch of fish fondly!) and feed them sparingly, they won't grow fast and will generally stay juvenile forever.  Get a nice anemone, propagate it until you have a dozen or so clones, and there will be territory for all.