Fish for 10G frag tank

mling

I just started a 10G frag tank a few weeks ago.  What fish would be recommended for this tank to keep algae in check ?  LFS suggested a damsel, would any damsel do ? If so I am thinking of the electric blue ones.

As long as you are just looking for an algae eater and not worried about compatibility with other fish, I would say algae blenny.

Bruce

1st off.... if you don't mind me asking... Who told you that a damsel will help with your algae??? Lol

Goby's and Blennines are very effective at eating algae. And the Goby's will turn your sand more frequently as well... helping with the sand.algea.problems so a Goby, and a good CUC, should do the job....

1st off.... if you don't mind me asking... Who told you that a damsel will help with your algae??? Lol

..... will turn your sand more frequently as well... helping with the sand.algea.problems so a Goby, and a good CUC, should do the job....

Since that individual is a frequent WAMAS follower ......  I am having a hard time recalling his / her name  :cool:

Sand ? You have sand in a frag tank ?

If you want to try something different,try acclimating some mollies (yes, freshwater mollies) to saltwater and let them keep algae in check. Read up on the acclimation process as it takes a little while to get there.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

I wouldn't add any fish to a frag tank unless you're trying to introduce nutrients for the corals to eat.  You'll keep higher quality water in it if you avoid any fish and sand - just go with some rock as corals produce very little waste.  That said, if it's plumbed to your system, never mind what I said.

Yes...

Nonetheless, it will not do as much as some other species of fish that are engineered to do such which are much more effective in algae control. Other then swimming around, And picking at things. There are many other possibilities.
You could go with a damsel. But, may not be the best course or route, if trying to get a fish for a  particular purpose, which is to control algae, is all I'm saying...

I agree with skipping fish and going for snails. If they are an inch or less, they won't bother frags. And if it doesn't pan out, it's easier to catch snails than fish.

Anything you get fish-wise should be something you want. If you think you may by chance end up with an edible algae, the fish will eat it and then you have to feed the fish (introducing more nutrients)

I got a sea hare to help with my algae and he is great and fun to watch, but big and does push the corals around.

I agree with skipping fish and going for snails. If they are an inch or less, they won't bother frags. And if it doesn't pan out, it's easier to catch snails than fish.

Anything you get fish-wise should be something you want. If you think you may by chance end up with an edible algae, the fish will eat it and then you have to feed the fish (introducing more nutrients)

From what I have heard, I like the idea of a snail or two.  Question I have is that I see hair like algae growing on the frags themselves ( not hair algae ), will a snail get on to frags and eat these ?

Do you guys think a snail will be able to help this ?   Or is it a lost cause that only a fish can help ?

Frag Tank algea

• 8 months later...

If you want to try something different,try acclimating some mollies (yes, freshwater mollies) to saltwater and let them keep algae in check. Read up on the acclimation process as it takes a little while to get there.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Where can I get good info. Having a hard time finding a decent read. Thanks