Goby Hermit Pistol-shrimp love triangle

mling

My Goby knows that it's pistol shrimp uses rubble and shells to build their tunnels.  It has recently decided that live hermits would also be fine, though my pistol shrimp does not agree.

See these two videos, sorry for the burrness as I could not get my camera to focus ; think it's because it was at sharp angle, thus the glass was messing with the auto focus.

1 Goby captures hermit ->

2 Pistol shrimp returns hermit ->

Anyone else has a similar situation ?  Now I know where all my small hermits go.  Wonder how may make it out of the cave of doom alive.

Edited by Coral Hind
fixed link

That second video is great. I wonder how many times that happens each day. Your shrimp is really opinionated about what belongs in the den.

That's pretty cool and funny. The poor goby took a few tries before he figured it out.

Actually the goby is stubborn, he has been doing this for a few days now.  Or it could be just pain dumb => too bad for the hermits ! :cool:

That is crazy funny! Thanks for posting this, made me laugh this morning. My pistol shrimp just kills the occasional hermit that gets to close to one of his burrows.

That was so funny! Shrimp is like, "This does not go with the interior plan darn it!!"
In the first video I could see 2 similar sized hermits scaling the rock, so they may make it out.

That was so funny! Shrimp is like, "This does not go with the interior plan darn it!!"

In the first video I could see 2 similar sized hermits scaling the rock, so they may make it out.

This video was taken within an hour of the lights coming on.  The 2 hermits you see were not the only ones around that den entry point. It is almost like they were all captured and spent the night wondering the tunnels, not knowing which way is out. 

Lights come on and they literally "see the light at the end of the tunnel" :clap:

Yep it's a pink spotted Goby.  Before my tank crash, I previously had a yellow watch man goby.  It never exhibited this behavior.   Maybe it is something with the Pink spotted ones.  I had have this Pink Spotted for over 6 months before it decided that hermits were nice to kidnap.